Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Phillyphill, a buddy of mine completed the last step two weeks ago and now awaits the completion letter.We are locals and started the process together, had the same date for CPAT testing but I passed my CPAT before the scheduled date during time practice, that is where we got separated and in addition to that he went for a second polygraph test because some issues came up in his results.

Forum Member

oh ok i meant like anyone from the previous years like 2+ years ago.

Forum Member

Well I received the call today to join the department. So hopefully everyone else is getting calls today. Congrats if you do. I am super happy. And if i can get the call anyone can get the call. I did what was supposed to do by showing up to every appointment early making sure that I made an impression on everyone I met. I don't have an extra special qualities. Just honest during the whole process and believed that I could do it.
    Last edited by phillyphill; 01-15-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Forum Member

Fairfax County still recruiting Fire/Medics? I recently just received my application packet and everything, just need to mail it out. Any input?

Forum Member

Yeah it says on the website that they are accepting applications for medics. I would say do your best, knock the cpat out if you haven't done one go to a practice session, its not too difficult. Polygraph don't lie. Medical just make sure you're in decent shape, they do a stress test. Psych just be prepared to fill in a lot of circles. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Congrats Phillyphil. Did you get the "do you want the job call"? or the conditional offer of employment ?

Forum Member

Congrats @phillyphil!! Hopefully I will get the same call!!!

Forum Member

thanks I hope you get it if you do shoot me a PM with your info and bust your butt to get in shape or to stay in shape there is a enough time to do it. @premedic you applied right? same thing for you PM wouldn't mind getting to know the people ill be training with before hand.
    Last edited by phillyphill; 01-16-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Forum Member

I just enabled it should be good to go.

Forum Member

Congrats Phillyphill that is awesome. Do you know when you start the academy yet? I am scheduled at the end of March for my specific poly. I am not sure if that means. I have to take the whole poly over or just selected questions. Either way I'm going to handle it like a boss.

Forum Member

The academy starts in may. i had to take the specific poly well that's what Annie told me but when i got there i had to do the whole thing over. But if its a specific poly then its 1 section that you had a reaction on. But be prepared to take the whole thing all over.
    Last edited by phillyphill; 01-18-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Forum Member

If anyone is interested the list has been emailed out.

Forum Member

I'll post updates for people that want to know whats going on. We go for gear fitting starting next week, also class ends November 1st, there are 29 of use 15 ff/emt 14 ff/medics. Anyone that wants/needs to get in shape. We were told that we need to be able to do 25 push ups and run 3 miles, 10 minutes per mile.

Forum Member

Good luck phillyphill. See you out in the field.

Forum Member

Firefighter/EMT process opening up.
    March 2-15 only.
    Online Applications only.
    Go to county website...jobs...fire.
    Showing Firefighter/EMT closed as of now. Should be able to submit during the 2nd-15th.

Forum Member

The process for fairfax has opened back up for ff/emts until march 15th

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/recruitment/
    Last edited by phillyphill; 03-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Forum Member

is anybody having trouble applying online,i sent in my resume and got an email saying they got it but i tried multiple times with the application but didnt get an email saying they got my application

Forum Member

because its going through 2 different systems. the AIMS site will send you an automatic reply when you submit things as a confirmation. I wouldnt submit the application anymore because chances are you've sent it multiple times. I would give recruitment a call to see if received your application. When i applied I didn't get a response. 703-246-3939. goodluck

Forum Member

Does anyone know how far in advance Fairfax selects their recruits. In other words do they know who will be getting calls yet?& have they made the calls for the next class?

Rabble rouser

Hokey smokes. Just when you thought that things couldn't get weirder, I'm back.

fasteddie11628: In my experience, they make calls around a month from the beginning of rookie school. I'm not sure when the next school is and I don't know what calls have been made, if any.

Hope this helps.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Hi I'm a paramedic I applied to fairfax and have the written the 28th of Aug. How many paramedics do they typically take in a recruit class? I know about seven paramedics just from my area who have applied and done the testing in the past couple of months.

Also does Farifax typically do one class a year or do they do more?

Rabble rouser

Hi Snarff. Historically, there has been classes with all paramedics (approx 25 recruits) and there have been classes with only a few. Considering that we have an ongoing recruitment for ALS providers, I would assume that, as recruitment gets ALS providers through the system, they place them in a class.

Typically, FCFRD runs several classes a year. Sometimes even starting one before the prior one completes. I'm not sure of their current plan.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Ok thanks for the information its greatly appreciated. Hopefully all goes well in the testing process for me.

Forum Member

I appreciate the reply. I finished the process in July. I was just wondering if I had a shot at the next class.

Forum Member

In January (IIRC), there's supposed to be a HUGE class going through. Combined FF/EMT's and FF/medics. We're opening a new fire station soon, and it's going to be staffed on an overtime basis until we can get some recruit schools through. In addition, we're looking at increasing our staffing on ladder trucks and towers to 4 instead of three (as it is currently), with a medic. We have 14 of these units. It's unclear whether this is going to happen just in the busy truck houses, or all of them. Regardless, there will be an uptick in the hiring rate, so make sure that you're checking in regularly with recruitment to get an offer. As always, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You'll be coming in at a great time - we have a new Fire Chief that has increased morale substantially. He's done a lot for us already, and in return he doesn't ask much - just execute the basics perfectly, train, train, train, do your physical training on a regular basis, and visit some homes for two hours every Saturday to offer safety checks, smoke detector checks, and basically just meet and greet those we serve. I saw him at the Fire Academy the other day, soaked in sweat after doing PT. He does it, so there's absolutely no excuse not to be in fighting shape on your first day in recruit school.

Pester recruitment to schedule all of your testing, then call them periodically to show continued interest.

Thread Information