Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 354243444546474855 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis1 View Post
    Lets get this one back up and going. Who all is a medic, completed the process(with completion letter)and waiting to hear back about the next class?
    Im in the same boat as well

MembersZone Subscriber

When did you guys complete the process?

Forum Member

I did everything in one week in March of 2011.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats not two bad of a time line waiting there is a couple of us thats been waiting over year now. I hope we all get on this fall!

Forum Member

I am testing the second week of August. I just wonder how many medics are in the process?

Forum Member

Is that normal for them to hold onto guys for so long without any notification?
    Correct me if im wrong, but the last all medic class was the 130th in october, and the most recent (the 131st) was half medic/half bls in march.

To the guys who passed everything before either of these classes, they have yet to notify you of anything?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Is that normal for them to hold onto guys for so long without any notification?
    Correct me if im wrong, but the last all medic class was the 130th in october, and the most recent (the 131st) was half medic/half bls in march.

To the guys who passed everything before either of these classes, they have yet to notify you of anything?
    I have heard that is the case. I know of five of us in the same time frame on the waiting list. We all keep in touch and call HR every month or email to get up dated. There has been a back lodge of medics when those storms cost the county alot of money back in 2010 so they delayed the class for 4 to 5 months later. even before that there was 20 or so on a waiting list with that class full. We are all out of state so I dont know if they take in-state over out of state medic?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ETmedic252 View Post
    I have heard that is the case. I know of five of us in the same time frame on the waiting list. We all keep in touch and call HR every month or email to get up dated. There has been a back lodge of medics when those storms cost the county alot of money back in 2010 so they delayed the class for 4 to 5 months later. even before that there was 20 or so on a waiting list with that class full. We are all out of state so I dont know if they take in-state over out of state medic?
    Ok. Yeah im out of state too. Does your group have any firefighting experience or extra certs/degrees? Im just wondering if any of that makes a difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Ok. Yeah im out of state too. Does your group have any firefighting experience or extra certs/degrees? Im just wondering if any of that makes a difference.
    I have no degree which I think that maybe the problem. I do have a lot of fire and ems certs on top of the medic and level 2 firefighter card. I have 8 years with a fire card and 3 years with a medic card. Whats your story?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ETmedic252 View Post
    Whats your story?
    Im working as a career Fire/Medic at a busy South Florida Department, been here a few years. Many certs, HazMat, TRT, Dive Rescue. Bachelors in Fire Science, Associates in EMS and fluent in spanish (im pretty sure that helps too).

Good luck man

Forum Member

Hi all. Just emailed my app this afternoon and was emailed back the list of stuff to send back. I know Fairfax is highly respected and am sure this is going to be a competitive process. Word is they're hiring 40+ medics within the next few months? This is good news. Good luck and feel free to let me know if you're in the same boat as I! Dane

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaneHarvey View Post
    Hi all. Just emailed my app this afternoon and was emailed back the list of stuff to send back. I know Fairfax is highly respected and am sure this is going to be a competitive process. Word is they're hiring 40+ medics within the next few months? This is good news. Good luck and feel free to let me know if you're in the same boat as I! Dane
    I would expect classes of 20 +/- 5 as a rough number until the economy improves. We used to run 3-4 schools a year, overlapping schools, but not since early 2008. My class, the 126th, began in August/2008, April for the ALS pre-hires. We're only up to the 131st, which went in sometime in May this year IIRC, to give you an idea. The 132nd should be in Oct, I would guess. Maybe April or so for the 133rd I would think. We're still tight on our budget, so I don't see us running more than two classes a year unless somehting changes.

That's my best educated guess. Nothing's written in stone around here.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

If we were to be hired, would they call us or send letters out?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    I would expect classes of 20 +/- 5 as a rough number until the economy improves. We used to run 3-4 schools a year, overlapping schools, but not since early 2008. My class, the 126th, began in August/2008, April for the ALS pre-hires. We're only up to the 131st, which went in sometime in May this year IIRC, to give you an idea. The 132nd should be in Oct, I would guess. Maybe April or so for the 133rd I would think. We're still tight on our budget, so I don't see us running more than two classes a year unless somehting changes.

That's my best educated guess. Nothing's written in stone around here.
    I appreciate the input. If I have any questions (I'm sure I might), I will let you know! Dane

Forum Member

Hey everyone,

I completed the process last month and waiting to hear any news. I did this more just to see what would happen but it would be an honor to work for fairfax county fire dept. I guess its just hurry up and wait right now. Good luck to everyone else in the process. I hope to find out in the next month on the next academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis1 View Post
    If we were to be hired, would they call us or send letters out?
    I too would like to know. As well as, when they do hire for the next class, how much notice do they usually give before the class starts? A month or two?

Thanks for the help.

MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar

Passed my medical screening and written test on Thursday. Whats a good score for the I/O test? I scored a 95.4% cumulative... Just curious because I took the exact same test for Howard County a couple years ago and they said I didn't score high enough to move on.

Only have my poly and psych left to go and I should be ready to roll!! I'm getting excited now.
    Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Forum Member

Any word on selections or a date for the next class (Fall?)

I talked to Fire Recruitment last week and they informed me nothing official yet, but soon they will be making selections. So i'm wondering, how soon?
    Im getting fully cleared medically next week (had some discrepancies) but once im cleared I should be good to go.

A guy I work with informed me a friend of his is in the process too and said that he has been "unofficially" selected for the next class, meaning he knows he is in based on word he has heard, but hasn't gotten any offers yet.

Does this happen?
    Im just nervous I won't get cleared in time and they will overlook me (if they want me at all!! Lol)

Thanks

Forum Member

Anyone? Anything?

Forum Member

Reading through the thread it looks like notice is given about a month before the start dates (average).

Thread Information