Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Have all calls been made for the class beginning January 13th?

Forum Member

For the guys who got a call, what did you guys score on the written to get this far? I'm a medic that will be taking the next test in January any tips would be great on how to prepare for the written.
    Will980 likes this.

Forum Member

I have 1-3 rooms available in my house starting in January. If any new recruits are in need of a place close to stay during the academy, PM me. The home is located in MD by the DC/Fairfax border, I work for a county dept here in MD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adenosine6 View Post
    That sounds about right. Chief Bowers most recent newsletter does mention an "accelerated" recruit class to get FS442 open in July 2014; it could be 136(B), joining 136(A) at a later date, and sharing the same graduation date.

The experienced/inexperienced thing was the first I ever heard. But it was honestly refreshing to hear, even if it turns out not to be true. As a side discussion, the fire service is the only job I know of that shoots itself in the foot because we treat new guys with years of experience as rookies or worst, recruits all over again. Example being, I work for a neighboring NOVA department next to Fairfax. Every NOVA department in the COG uses NOVA Ops as our SOPs/SOGs. If a 3-5 year hire wants to transfer to another NOVA department to finish out his 25, then boom- It's back to basic recruit school for six months, rookie year, etc. all over again, even when this guy already might be an endorsed medic, signed off as a DPO and driving, etc. The gaining department losses getting qualified guys out to their stations and into the community sooner, and the new hire is back at the bottom of the totem pole. If an accelerated class is true, then again, it's a step in the right direction.
    I've seen a number of departments out west do laterals with abbreviated academies. It only makes sense. It costs the department less, and you're getting experienced people, who have left a (presumed) stepping stone department, and work here because it's where they really want to work.

The specialty opportunities for medics here are changing for the better. We have four Technician (first promotion from basic FF) specialties - Apparatus, EMS, Hazmat, and TROT. Formerly, medics were largely excluded from specialty technician exams (you need to be placed in, and certify in, the Hazmat and TROT Tech schools). The selection criteria were kept secret, and some EMS Techs, including me, were told "You're taking a promotion from someone else by going for Hazmat or TROT." It makes no sense. My response was that I was vacating an EMS Tech spot by making Hazmat or TROT tech, so I wasn't taking a position away from anyone - there's an EMS Tech spot available, that I've given up. The typical result was that only a few medics would get in the class. I know a number of people that have had to go outside of the county to get their Hazmat Tech cert.

Lately, there were more medics in the TROT program, and this Hazmat Class is all medics. In the past, medics rarely, if ever, rode Truck companies. No medics, to my knowledge, were ever assigned to ride a truck, unless they were an Apparatus Tech with an ALS cert. Now, the county is planning to upstaff five truck companies from three to four, with the fourth spot being a dedicated "truck medic" position. Currently one (Heavy) Rescue Squad is ALS, with plans to make the other seven squads ALS as well.

On the flip side, there used to be an EMS Lt position. The county decided to require any future LT's to be "All Hazards", which means fire and medic if they're ALS, no more EMS only. The medic LT's are slowly phasing out, and the newer LT's with ALS certs are getting stuck on medics much of the time. It seems that the department's answer is to let that run it's course, and instead certify EMS techs to be preceptors, which qualifies them to perform the same duties as an EMS Lt. So, the EMS command structure is dwindling, and the county is having Techs do the job of EMS Lt's, for cheaper, and with no rank. At least, the All Hazards ALS Lt's can get off of the medic units, I suppose. I just hope that this doesn't result in there being many engine companies with a dual hazard ALS LT or Capt. assigned, with the medic being routinely bumped off the engine to ride a medic unit. I guess we'll see how this all plays out in the next year or two.

Regardless, Fairfax is still a great place to work. I would prefer that it be busier, and by busier I mean with more interesting calls, other than routine smells/bells, minor MVA's, and non-acute (to put it politely) EMS calls.

Forum Member

Is anyone else testing on February 8th? I'll be making the trip down from Ohio.

Forum Member

I'm scheduled to test on the 8th. I have to make a decision if I fly to Denver or Fairfax as they're so close I doubt I'll be able to do both. Still going to try.

Forum Member

Completed the hiring process 12/19/13, paramedic with non-nfpa certified fire experience.

Forum Member

Pm sent^^^^

Forum Member

Going to take my psych, poly and medical this week, any advice or tips? Any info on when they are hiring or anything?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone Else get a phone call about a march recruit academy?

Forum Member

Default Firefighter/Medic Position

Looking to see if you apply to fairfax as a firefighter/medic are you placed on a engine company or are you placed on the ambulance for your career?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjkfirefighter19 View Post
    Looking to see if you apply to fairfax as a firefighter/medic are you placed on a engine company or are you placed on the ambulance for your career?
    As of right now, if I have this correct, the medic rookie spends their first month on an engine, in the right bucket (the firefighter spot), with another medic in the left bucket (the medic spot). After the first month, the rookie begins their ALS internship, which is four months straight on the PTU (double medic training ambulance) with a medic officer. After that, they're released, and can ride either as the left bucket engine medic, or driver of a PTU.

The intention is for the rookie to split engine/medic time 50/50 with the other FF/medic in the station, but in reality the engine medic gets moved when there is a medic engine driver or medic fire officer, and there is a medic vacancy on an ambulance somewhere. In some stations, because of a dual-hat suppression officer or driver, there may only be one firefighter/medic assigned to the shift, and they're on the ambulance all of the time. From what I've heard, the Fire Chief is aware of this problem, and would like to end "dual hatting," but I can't confirm this as fact. I know that during my career, I've been assigned to an engine for about 25% of my shifts, at the most, due to displacement by dual hatters.

On the six month (or so) horizon, there will be medic riding positions on all eight Heavy Rescue Squads; four are Hazmat specialty, and four are TROT specialty. In addition, five of our fourteen truck/tower companies will have medic riding positions. I think this implementation will coincide with the graduation of RS 136, so that we'll have enough medics to make all of this happen.

Edit: I almost forgot, after a year, give or take, the rookie medic will begin training, back on the ambulance exclusively, to ride as lead on a "one and one" ambulance, which is medic/EMT. Then, they go back into an ambulance/engine rotation, if there are no dual hatters to bump them.
    Last edited by O501; 01-15-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flfirebuff86 View Post
    Anyone Else get a phone call about a march recruit academy?
    No? Did you?

Forum Member

I got one on the 8th. Waiting for an official offer.

Forum Member

What is the average time a NREMT-P is on the waiting list for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes I received a phone call on the 8th as well. Also waiting for a followup.

Forum Member

For those of you who have received an offer what did you score on the written? Also how long is the hiring process?

Forum Member

For those of you who received a phone call for recruit school in March, for starters, congratulations. Do you guys currently hold Fire/ EMS certifications and/or experience? I'm just curious if this is the "experienced" class as previously mentioned.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have no idea what I scored on the written, I'm an out of state applicant, did the whole process in 2012. I'm a medic, with medic experience and volunteer firefighter.

Forum Member

Default Written

I take the written test on the 27th. I passed the CPAT so I'm not worried there just about the polygraph.

Forum Member

Scheduled for the written exam on the 25th. Good luck all!
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

@@@@@@@@@@
    Last edited by Capt JW; 02-10-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Forum Member

How did everyone do that tested today?

Forum Member

I received a 90 on the written. For those who have made it through do you think that score will cut it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blachatch View Post
    I received a 90 on the written. For those who have made it through do you think that score will cut it?
    70 is the cut off. It's pass or fail. Anything in between doesn't matter.

Thread Information