Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 374445464748495057 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Thanks! I got the call last friday! Good luck to all who are still waiting!

Forum Member

Congrats to those of you who got the call! I just arrived in town for my 3 days of testing. Hopefully, all goes well!

Forum Member

Any non-medic get the call?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Any non-medic get the call?
    The october class will have non ALS students. I don't know how many slots there are but there are confirmed ff/emt positions.

Forum Member

15 medics and 15 non medics.
    Hey genesis, I sent you a PM

Forum Member

Just curious to how things run in FFX. From what I gather, FF/EMT and FF/MEDIC
    recruits start at the same time and then FF/MEDIC goes for internship in the middle and
    come back later and finish suppression. So does that mean FF/EMT finishes academy first?
    For instance, for FF/MEDICs that starts with 132nd leaves for internship and resumes suppression with 133rd? And probie school starts AFTER your one year probation? Does that mean you get be a probie for like 2 years?

Thanks.

Forum Member

recruits start at the same time and then FF/MEDIC goes for internship in the middle and
    come back later and finish suppression. So does that mean FF/EMT finishes academy first?
    For instance, for FF/MEDICs that starts with 132nd leaves for internship and resumes suppression with 133rd? And probie school starts AFTER your one year probation? Does that mean you get be a probie for like 2 years?

Thanks.
    I was told that we all start together and we do our internship after the academy. A guy who has time on the department would be able to give you a better answer

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks.
    The medics in the 125th, 126th (my class) and the 127th all did 6 or 7 weeks at the academy for orientation and EMS stuff ahead of basics (127 wwas all ALS), went in the field for ALS internship for 16 weeks of 12 hour day work, and then did 16 weeks of suppression training, joining up w/ the basics who had started 6 weeks or so prior for their orientation and EMT school. My total recruit FF time was nine months. When I was released into the field, I was fully cleared to ride on an engine or medic unit as a released ALS provider, and my rookie year started from that point.

Now, the medics and basics all start together. While the basics do EMT school, the medics do their alphabet cards. Everyone finishes recruit school together, and can ride as minimum staffing as a FF. The medics then have six months of ALS internship on shift work with their company, and are on the medic unit for the entire time. For the first two months, they're riding in the back with the EMS officer, and a FF will drive them. After two months, the PFFM will drive the bus. After six months, they get released as an ALS provider, and go from 18/1 to 18/3 pay grade, and also get the ALS cert pay. Previously, the medics started as an 18/3 and got the cert pay after the nine months of recruit training.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

MembersZone Subscriber

All of the job offers for the next class should have gone out already. My understanding is that the basics that were offered jobs were ones that were on the list for a long time. I've been told by a member of the dept that his son is on the list, but didn't get chosen, and that the time of completion of the process was a factor. This is why I've said that you should start processes for several, if not most of the area depts. you may get overlooked for Fairfax, but an offer from a neighboring dept can come through a month, six months, or a year later, unexpectedly.

It's not uncommon for someone to accept the job offer, then change their mind a few days out, not show up on the first or second day, or even get injured in the first week or two. You should stay in contact with recruitment and tell them that you would be highly interested in filling the spot at a monent's notice if one of these situations should occur. Also, the next class is supposed to overlap this one, and it could include FF's, although it won't at the moment. A dozen FF's or so isn't going to plug up the sick leave, injury leave, and annual leave slots.

One more thing, if you're just taking the job "for a goof," then do us all a favor and just go to school now and then find a career doing what you really want to do. There are people here who just want this as a stepping stone job while they take classes and then want to leave to another field. you're taking the job away from someone who will do this for 25-30 years and love it. IIRC, the county spends around $100k the hire and train a FF, and $150k for medics. That money will need to be needlessly spent again to hire someone else to replace you when you leave. That money could instead be spent on hiring an extra FF for a recruit school, to address staffing and deployment issues, on equipment, for another TROT or Hazmat School, or Officer/Instructor courses, or maybe the county can go back to reimbursing for more than one class a semester! Step increases would be cool to
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    All of the job offers for the next class should have gone out already. My understanding is that the basics that were offered jobs were ones that were on the list for a long time.

someone who will do this for 25-30 years and love it.
    That would be me. Pending couple of things. 3 years were a loooooooong time. Thanks to the economy.

Correction, 3.5 years!! Yowza!
    Last edited by Suppressor; 08-08-2011 at 10:30 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

That would be me. Pending couple of things. 3 years were a loooooooong time. Thanks to the economy.
    You in the next class?

Forum Member

You in the next class?
    Well, lets say almost. Like I said, I'm waiting for couple things to be done. So I'm holding on to my happy dance 'til I'm certain.

Forum Member

There are people here who just want this as a stepping stone job while they take classes and then want to leave to another field. you're taking the job away from someone who will do this for 25-30 years and love it.
    Sadly, this is very true. I met another medic applicant when I was down at the public safety building months back and this was his view. I could not believe what I was hearing!

Forum Member

Hey all. Just checking back. This coming October, I am scheduled to complete the six steps (cpat, written, polygraph, medical phys, capt interview, and psych)over a three day period. any pointers for those of us in this position? I feel good about this, especially since word is that there will be an academy come spring. Thanks! Dane

MembersZone Subscriber

Step increases would be cool to
    who needs steps when we just got our 1.52% increase. haha

That is a drawback with being in a well known department with good training. People will come here for resume builders and then jet to federal jobs after a couple years.

And in response to your 3 day ordeal Dane, in the past for out of state interests they usually schedule physical, poly, and psyche after you passed CPAT and written at a prior date. Not sure how HR/Recruitment is doing it now, but the shortest part is the CPAT. Psyche exam and interview were probably the longest. Just plan on being busy for the 3 days if you are doing the entire process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jklm128 View Post
    who needs steps when we just got our 1.52% increase. haha

That is a drawback with being in a well known department with good training. People will come here for resume builders and then jet to federal jobs after a couple years.

And in response to your 3 day ordeal Dane, in the past for out of state interests they usually schedule physical, poly, and psyche after you passed CPAT and written at a prior date. Not sure how HR/Recruitment is doing it now, but the shortest part is the CPAT. Psyche exam and interview were probably the longest. Just plan on being busy for the 3 days if you are doing the entire process.
    Fairfax is surely a dept. I plan on making a solid career out of,
    I believe I'm scheduled for the CPAT first thing.
    Good stuff, thanks

All of the job offers for the next class should have gone out already. My understanding is that the basics that were offered jobs were ones that were on the list for a long time. I've been told by a member of the dept that his son is on the list, but didn't get chosen, and that the time of completion of the process was a factor. This is why I've said that you should start processes for several, if not most of the area depts. you may get overlooked for Fairfax, but an offer from a neighboring dept can come through a month, six months, or a year later, unexpectedly.

It's not uncommon for someone to accept the job offer, then change their mind a few days out, not show up on the first or second day, or even get injured in the first week or two. You should stay in contact with recruitment and tell them that you would be highly interested in filling the spot at a monent's notice if one of these situations should occur. Also, the next class is supposed to overlap this one, and it could include FF's, although it won't at the moment. A dozen FF's or so isn't going to plug up the sick leave, injury leave, and annual leave slots.

One more thing, if you're just taking the job "for a goof," then do us all a favor and just go to school now and then find a career doing what you really want to do. There are people here who just want this as a stepping stone job while they take classes and then want to leave to another field. you're taking the job away from someone who will do this for 25-30 years and love it. IIRC, the county spends around $100k the hire and train a FF, and $150k for medics. That money will need to be needlessly spent again to hire someone else to replace you when you leave. That money could instead be spent on hiring an extra FF for a recruit school, to address staffing and deployment issues, on equipment, for another TROT or Hazmat School, or Officer/Instructor courses, or maybe the county can go back to reimbursing for more than one class a semester! Step increases would be cool to
    Don't knock folks for the way their life takes them down the path. One of the best trauma surgeons at Fairfax Hospital started his path to emergency medicine as a Fairfax County Firefighter, everyone in the area is better off for him taking that path. The FF/EMT job lead him to medic school, then to medical school. Had he gone to law school as was a possible alternative, there might be a few lives that have not been saved over the last fifteen or so years. I even know of a Battalion Chief in FFX who only planed on the job being a stepping stone, but stayed on, so you never know how life will turn out. I won't discourage ANYONE from trying this job. Many who plan to stay on for thirty will drop out after the first day of PT; others who don't know what they want in life right now will find it to be their true calling and stay until they are forced into retirement.

Sure it is frustrating to see folks take that short time path when you don't get hired on, but guess what? You just did not measure up at that particular point in time, keep trying.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Something in Sept. or Oct. definitely, and the word is that they're going back to stacking classes, which means that the 133rd will start two months or so after the 132nd, with both classes running concurrently for two months roughly.
    Confirmed on stacking 132 and 133. Also, a slot open for 132. FF/EMT though. EDPMEDIC is reliable as it gets.

Forum Member

Going up in Oct to finish out my process over three days, Hoping that I pass the last couple tests and get my name in for the next RC. Hoping that the second time around will work! Good luck.

Forum Member

Just got off tour to come home and find the rest of my paperwork for Oct. Deff. a good feeling to know I'm almost done w/ the process. But the waiting...... I could do w/o.

Thread Information