+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 51 First ... 234567815 ... Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by cd3d211
    hi , i noticed some posts here on the medical but i was wondering if someone could tell me some specifics. does this test include how many sit ups, push ups bench press etc, or is it majority a medical physical and your backround health. thank so much
    The medical exam does not include push ups, sit ups, bench press or the like. It is strictly a medical physical.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryChan
    Does Fairfax run continuous recruitment and simply places passing personnel on a wait list? Or, are there current openings?
    Fairfax County is presently running about 4 schools per year and as soon as you are out of school, you are on the street!

Good luck.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Testing in June

Well, I just found this thread tonight, and I got a letter this week, for the written in June. I have been a volunteer for 9 years, and just separated from the military 3 weeks ago. I am looking forward to coming down and testing, and hopefully achieving my end result of a career firefighter. Best of luck to all of you guys still working hard on getting there...Z

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Well folks i got the call today from the captain inviting me to the next recruit school. IT begins June 26. it feels great to have my dream fulfilled through hard work and determination. i have been in the process since august and even though thats not as long as some other people have been in the process it seemed like an eternity to me. so im here to tell each and everyone of you to stick with it and never lose faith or confidence and you'll get that call too!

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyrescue02
    Well folks i got the call today from the captain inviting me to the next recruit school. IT begins June 26. it feels great to have my dream fulfilled through hard work and determination. i have been in the process since august and even though thats not as long as some other people have been in the process it seemed like an eternity to me. so im here to tell each and everyone of you to stick with it and never lose faith or confidence and you'll get that call too!
    Congratulations! I'll see you on July 3...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Junes Rookie Class

I myself also got the phone calll from Capt. P. I accepted the offer for June's class. I would like to set up a meeting spot somewhere in Fairfax, before the June 26th start date, so some of us can get together before we start our trainning. Tell me what you think?

MembersZone Subscriber

A meet & greet before june 26th works for me. I live in Maryland right across the woodrow wilson birdge so im in the middle of most places. are you from the area and how long have you been in the process? I'm 21 by the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in NY, should be down in Fairfax a week or so before the start date. e-mail me your info so I can call you. Mine is eng2man@aol.com.
    I have been in the process since July/Aug. of last year. I hooked up with the recruiters at the Firehouse Expo in Baltimore last year, and have been going at it since then. Im gald to see all that time and $ driving back and forth from NY (Long Island) paid off.
    Last edited by eng2man; 05-17-2006 at 02:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

June 23rd, 7pm a couple of us new probies are meeting up (119th recruit class). Try and join us.

http://www.thefirehousegrill.com/contactus.html

Be there.

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by eng2man
    June 23rd, 7pm a couple of us new probies are meeting up (119th recruit class). Try and join us.

http://www.thefirehousegrill.com/contactus.html

Be there.

Remember that place. The Union meetings are in the upstairs room.

The biggest thing to remember, which has been as issue with some past rookies... DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! IF CONVICTED, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR JOB... plus it is just plain stupid.

Celebrate your new career, but for Gods sake, be careful... I may even stop by the Grill so make sure!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    Remember that place. The Union meetings are in the upstairs room.

The biggest thing to remember, which has been as issue with some past rookies... DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! IF CONVICTED, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR JOB... plus it is just plain stupid.

Celebrate your new career, but for Gods sake, be careful... I may even stop by the Grill so make sure!
    Yea, the drinking and driving was a big question with the recruiting staff. They told me that someone was just locked up for D&D and the person was only on the job a year or two... Not a good career move...Thanks for the heads up, and I hope to see ya there.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Completed the recruit process!

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    Fairfax County is presently running about 4 schools per year and as soon as you are out of school, you are on the street! Good luck.
    Alright, good news (I think anyway?) I've made it through to the end of the recruitment process (written, CPAT, polygraph, medical, and just finished psychological). The psych doc said at the end that I tested very high and that I have all the qualities the dept. is looking for.

So......now what? Placed on the list I guess and wait (hopeful) for the call from the Capt. right? How can one ever know how high up on the list you are? Is it "first come, first made it through, first called" in FX County? I suppose they pull from the "special" lists first (ALS, minority). I'm neither yet (ALS) in May '07.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Rabble rouser

That is great Tucker... Congrats!

Yes, you are now on a list. As you speculate, white males are a dime a dozen in all reality. Yes, in order to meet departmental needs (ALS, diversity, etc) some may be hired before you, but keep your chin up and check in with recruitment frequently to ascertain progress.

I'll seeya in school!

Forum Member

Question

Should I contact recruitment once I start ALS training and let them know I'm on that path. Or do you think it's better to wait until I actually get the cert.? In other words, is that an advantage prior to getting the cert. as far as where I sit on the list or on which list I sit (I've heard there's a separate "list" for those in ALS training)?

Thanks!

Rabble rouser

I have not heard of a separate list for those in 'ALS Training'. That does not say that there is not one, just not one that I know of... and I am not in recruitment.

I would certianly let them know when you start ALS school and ABSOLUTELY let them know when you complete it.

Forum Member

I live in Atlanta and started the process with Fairfax County in Feburary. About two weeks ago I came up there to do my poly, psych and medical - all went great. Will I receive a letter stating that I completed the process and my name has been moved onto "the list"? Or should I call recruitment every now and then to check up on my status? Thanks in advance for any help.

Forum Member

Default how is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by tucker9
    I suppose they pull from the "special" lists first (ALS, minority).
    Quote Originally Posted by kobersteen
    white males are a dime a dozen in all reality. Yes, in order to meet departmental needs (ALS, diversity, etc) some may be hired before you,
    Seriously, how can hiring individuals according to race be legal? Am I missing something here? Have there been any dicrimination suits filed against the department's recruiting process. I'm curious.

Forum Member

In talking with people in the department, they are not too thrilled with the idea either. The people who I have talked to also said that the "higher ups" (whether it is the chiefs or the county board of supervisors, I don't know) are looking for the department to reflect the diversity in Fairfax County. Most people I've talked to also say they do not care what you look like, as long as you can do the job. Giving ALS providers preference is fine, but after that it should a matter of being qualifed or not.

Forum Member

Does anyone know the current racial makeup of the department?

Forum Member

So, what you're saying is if any minority Firefighter is hired they're automatically going to be tagged as "getting in with the minority tag"?

That's retarded.

FossilMedic

Default Short history on employment practices

Quote Originally Posted by wvffnj
    Seriously, how can hiring individuals according to race be legal? Am I missing something here? Have there been any dicrimination suits filed against the department's recruiting process. I'm curious.
    Not only is it legal, it is enforced by the federal government.

In the late 1960's the Supreme Court ruled - in effect - that local government were the "employers of last resort." They are expected to provide the widest effort to comply with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This act was expanded by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972 and includes almost all public and private employers with 15 or more employees.

Fairfax County, like many large fire departments, was under a Justice Department "consent decree" from the late 1970's through the 1990's. That means the county agreed to change it's recruitment, hiring and promotion practices to remedy past discrimination practices and to have a workforce that reflects the community. Under a consent decree, a federal judge periodically reviews the progress a fire department is making in meeting their goals. There are significant penalties for not complying.

For Fairfax County, they were to meet the diversity as represented by the metro Washington DC Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (SMSA). This area includes Washington DC and Prince George's County (MD). In the 1970's the fire department hiring diversity issue was African Americans.

In the 1980's the issue was female firefighters. NO paid fire department with more than 100 employees represents their community when it comes to the percentage of female firefighters on the job vs. in the community.

Diversity statistics are driven by the national census which is taken every decade. The 2000 census showed an explosion in the Washington DC SMSA of Asians and Latinos/Central Americans. No public safety employer anticipated this demographic change.

go here: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/deptinfo/Eeo-aa.htm Call the EEO/AA officer directly to get your statistical answer. Caution, if you are seeking employment, that may not be a prudent move

See how this is affecting FDNY's latest hiring: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83283
    Last edited by MikeWard; 08-07-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCHTC77
    So, what you're saying is if any minority Firefighter is hired they're automatically going to be tagged as "getting in with the minority tag"?

That's retarded.
    Ummmm, no... but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

Forum Member

Thanks for the detailed response mike, it was much more informational than DCHTC77's well, emotional outburst. I'm curious why fairfax has to meet the dc area's demographics, especially considering fairfax has a 70% caucasion population. Gotta love government and politicians. I'm going to take your advice and not call up requesting any such information, haha. I've recently completed the process and look forward to hearing from the department.

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by wvffnj
    I'm curious why fairfax has to meet the dc area's demographics, especially considering fairfax has a 70% caucasion population.
    Because that is what the judge and the consent decree said. Your point was argued during the negotiations.

Each municipality seems to have been handled differently when it comes to resolving diversity issues with the feds. Even using Fairfax County stats, the fire department is underepresented in Asians and Latinos/Central Americans.

If the 2010 census documents a surge of "Newcomers" (Alien Nation - 1988) we will need to reflect their addition to our community as well.

Good luck with the process!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 08-07-2006 at 10:24 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I'll chime in here. My name says it all. Yes, I'm Chinese and I've been testing to get into several fire departments in the DC area. I moved here from Connecticut late last year. I've had this discussion with my friends, who are firefighters, and they don't see an issue if I got into a department they were trying to get into. The main reason is because they know I can do the job.

Yes, perhaps the fact that I am Chinese plays a small role. But, I don't think it plays a major role at all. Simply because I am Chinese does not make me a shoe-in. I've been an athlete my entire life. I study my butt off. I hit the gym for cardio and strength training five to six days a week. I was a volunteer for four years. When I look at a department such as Fairfax I cannot see them hiring me simply because I am Chinese. What I hope they see is a hard working person who does what it takes to become a great firefighter. I mean their process takes months and months...I've never seen a process more screened before in my life!

I don't see any department taking me over someone else if they were more qualified. But, at the same time if a portion of Fairfax is Chinese how helpful would it be to have someone who speaks it? For me, speaking two languages (three if you count sign language) is the same as me being able to run five miles a day or do stairs with my 50lb vest on for 10 minutes straight. For me, it's a skill. And it's a skill that helps me be a better firefighter.

I've tested for several different departments here and Connecticut (when I was up there), and I have yet to see any advantages of being Chinese during the process.

Forum Member

Short and sweet.

The key is not lowering standards in order to enable minorities to get in. That will only get your unqualified candidates, and create racial tensions.

How about recruitment in areas where there are minorities? Keep the same standards. I'd be willing to bet this is something that is often overlooked, but is a simple solution to a complex problem. If you recruit well and among different ethnic and racial communities, you will find there are many intelligent, athletic, and qualified "minorities" for the job of firefighter.

Watering down the test only gets you worried if the guy behind you on the line is gonna be able to do his job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 51 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information