Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjkfirefighter19 View Post
    Is there anyone currently on fairfax County that could PM have some questions about the dept. thanks
    Ask me anything you want. I don't want to be too specific, but I've been in the department between five and ten years, and I'm a medic.

Forum Member

The last academy class was over 50 people, maybe 60, and they had to divide the class into 136 A and B. The B recruits already had fire certs, so they have an abbreviated academy. I don't see another class of 50+ coming through again, because a fair number of those recruits were hired with grant money. Historically, two classes a year of approx. 25-30, but prior to 2009, there were overlapping recruit schools, with as much as four per year.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I applied as a medic and wondering how stable the dept is doing? Also if your medic what decides if your on the box or engine company?

Forum Member

This thread sure has gotten quiet over the months. Does that mean not as many people are applying as in previous years?

Also is it true there is a large wave of retirements coming up?

Forum Member

Hi all, newbie here.

Thank you all for good information that has been shared already.

I received a letter of completion a few weeks ago and was reminded of the 24-month hiring pool period. Does anyone know if the department actually have held candidates for that long and let them go? And from your collective experience and knowledge, what is the typical wait time (if there is such) once someone is in the hiring pool?

Thank you all in advance for letting me pick your brains!
    Last edited by kleenex; 06-28-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Forum Member

Kleenex are you a medic?

Forum Member

I am not. Completely new to fire side. Originally from the "other" side..

bw3
    Forum Member

I'm taking the written exam on July 12th as a medic. Anyone know how many medics they are taking?

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything new about the fall class? I spoke with HR a few weeks ago and they said the details are still uncertain, but maybe someone here has heard more.

Forum Member

I have heard fall with no date.. Just finished my process today.. I hope all went well it has been a busy 3 days of testing !

Forum Member

blachatch are you a medic and how did the process take?

Forum Member

Yes I am a medic. I applied last August. It has been a long process. The polygraph was the only stressful part.

Forum Member

Anyone know if calls have been made for the fall class yet?

Forum Member

The latest I have heard is that the class is slated to start Oct. 6.

From what people have said in here before, I guess we can expect 3-4 weeks ahead of that to get the calls? If anyone has a better idea of when calls generally go out I would be interested in hearing, otherwise hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks we will start to find out who is getting in.

Forum Member

I have heard October as well from others on the department, so I think that is valid. The wait has been killing me. I was told by recruitment that my completion letter is in the mail. I guess all we can do is wait.

Forum Member

Wait.... Lol I know there's got to be people on here that have been waiting for awhile. I have been since last October, and I'm a medic too.

Forum Member

Yeah, I have been waiting a while as well. Finished my process last September.

Forum Member

Well looks like the wait is quite long compared to what it used to be after receiving your letter of completion.

Looks like I have a long way to go.

Forum Member

I just completed the process. I have heard that there is a ton of overtime available in this department, particulary for medics. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this? Also, I understand that there is a shift differential for being on 24 hour schedules, however, I can't find anything that explains how this works. Any insight would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blachatch View Post
    I have heard October as well from others on the department, so I think that is valid. The wait has been killing me. I was told by recruitment that my completion letter is in the mail. I guess all we can do is wait.
    Not to kill the moment here or anything, but there IS more to do than just wait. I would highly suggest (if you have not already done so) to PT of some sort after reading this post. PT is a critical part to the job, i'm sure you know, but to the Fire Chief and just as important, Basic Training. The Fire Chief himself comes out to the Academy to PT and sees his possible candidates, and Basic is no joke when it comes to PT. Be ready to run. and run. and run.

Forum Member

Yes I have heard that the chief is big on being physically fit, which is what I love to hear. I try to make it to the gym 4-5 days a week. Trying to get my cardio up to speed.

Thread Information