Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Very good info thank you.

Do you know if the class that is shorter has been chosen yet?

Forum Member

I doubt it. The guys that got picked for the October class were notified within the past two weeks and the class starts on October 6.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcz049 View Post
    I just completed the process. I have heard that there is a ton of overtime available in this department, particulary for medics. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this? Also, I understand that there is a shift differential for being on 24 hour schedules, however, I can't find anything that explains how this works. Any insight would be appreciated.
    There has been a ton of OT. There have been holdovers here and there. I have to work evening OT just so that I'm not held over the next day, particularly on weekends. They have even suspended the "36 hour rule" a few times recently, so that we can work 48 hrs straight if we want to.

IDK how night diff works, but it was explained that it was worth about $2k/yr in extra pay.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ragingcajun View Post
    Not to kill the moment here or anything, but there IS more to do than just wait. I would highly suggest (if you have not already done so) to PT of some sort after reading this post. PT is a critical part to the job, i'm sure you know, but to the Fire Chief and just as important, Basic Training. The Fire Chief himself comes out to the Academy to PT and sees his possible candidates, and Basic is no joke when it comes to PT. Be ready to run. and run. and run.
    If you want to wait until you're already in the academy to get in shape, you're gonna have a bad time.

Forum Member

Thanks for the information.

Forum Member

Out of curiosity, for someone like myself who took the written test back in the earlier parts of summer, the first recruit class I could be a part of wouldn't start until summer 2015?

Forum Member

I took my written in February and that is what we were told at the CPAT is that expect to be eligible in 2015 if you make it through the process.

Rabble rouser

Default Open applications for FF/EMT

The Recruitment Section will be accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/EMT from
    October 25, 2014, through October 31, 2014. Applications will only be accepted online through the county’s new job application system, GovernmentJobs.com (NeoGov). To access the new application system, please click on the following link: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/fai...ty/default.cfm.

Please note the application for Firefighter/EMT will only be available from October 25, 2014, through October 31, 2014.

Interested applicants can also sign up to receive an email notification when the Firefighter/EMT position officially opens by submitting a “job interest card.” To submit a job interest card, please click on the following link: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/fai...sSpecID=969926 &EmployerID=3062&ClassTitle=FIREFIGHTER.

The Firefighter/Medic position continues to be advertised on GovernmentJobs.com. To access the application, please click on the following link: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/fai...ty/default.cfm.
    All questions regarding the application process should be directed to the Recruitment Section at 703-246-3939.

Fairfax County is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veterans' status or disabled veterans' status. All personnel shall be fully aware of their roles and responsibilities regarding compliance to the Equal Employment Opportunity laws, Fairfax County Procedural Memorandums and departmental standard operating procedures and rules and regulations.

Forum Member

Thanks for the confirmation.

Forum Member

Apparently I was given some wrong information. I just spoke with Recruitment and was advised that there will NOT be a December class. I was told by Recruitment that the next class will be in early 2015. No info of whether it will a full length or a shortened class.

Forum Member

Well that's a bummer. Hopefully early 2015 means January or February. Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything about any potential dates for upcoming classes?

Forum Member

I have a buddy who works in Fairfax and I have been pestering him none stop and he hasn't heard anything concrete but he does have some other friends testing in January

Forum Member

I spoke with Recruitment the week before last and was told that the start date for the next class is Jan 12th. I was told that calls had not been made at that time, however, they did not provide when the calls would be made. I would imagine that the calls would be made this Monday and Tuesday unless they have already been made. Anybody out there have any more insight?

Forum Member

If the new class starts january 12th I would think calls would have been made last week.

I hope I am wrong though.

Forum Member

It is my understanding that the October 6 class got about 3 weeks notice before they started. Tomorrow will be three weeks before the January 12 start date.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info mcz049. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

Did they say if this will be a large class? Experienced or non experienced?

Are you a medic? Any fire certs?

Forum Member

They did not give any of that information. I asked and was told that that information would provided when the offer was made. The individuals that I know who are in the current class have told me that they were told that a shortened class was going to start in December. That obviously did not happen. The rumor with that is that there were not enough "qualified" candidates to fill out a class. But that is just a rumor. I am a medic and I have by Pro Board Fire Fighter I and II. Good luck to you as well. Hopefully we will get some good Christmas news in the coming days.

Forum Member

Same here medic with pro board fire 2 cert. I can never get any info from them either when I update my file with new certs with recruitment.

I still hear they are short medics though.

Forum Member

I hear that as well. They have also been adding medics to all trucks and rescues. The guys that I know who work there tell me that medic OT is ridiculous because they are stretched so thin. I am probably going to call them tomorrow afternoon if I don't hear anything. If I'm not going to get called, I'd like to know so that I can enjoy my holidays.

Forum Member

Thanks for the update. Have you guys already been through background, medical, poly, etc? I turned in my background way back in August and haven't heard anything outside of that there wasn't enough "qualified" applicants for a class so they decided to administer another test (but that wasn't concrete). Good luck to both of you

Forum Member

Yes I am done with everything as of September just waiting for a call.

Thread Information