Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34350515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1204
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

I am curious if anyone who has already taken the Medical Evaluation could enlighten me as to what the fitness Assessment portion of the medical evaluation entails. I know that the Exercise Stress test is a certain amount of time on a treadmill hooked up to a heart monitor. I am curious because the other department I have taken a medical eval for only had the exercise stress test because CPAT was used as their fitness assessment. Thank you for any information that can be provided!

Forum Member

Anyone recently apply as a medic?

MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar

I applied March or April 2011 - just got my completion letter last week.
    Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Forum Member

What does that mean? Finished everything? I'm about to fill out my app

Forum Member

@fireguy,

You're right, treadmill and heart monitor for about 10 minutes are included. Other things include a urine test, blood test, chest xray, and a short interview with a MD. Generally, it's pretty low key if you're fit and in shape and don't have any serious medical conditions. I originally received a "Class C" rating because of my eye sight, but it's correctable to 20/20, so I got "Class A".

Also, forgot to mention they have you complete an at home colon cancer screening test..
    Last edited by Asclepius; 06-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marbuckle View Post
    I did a few months ago.. Apply that is
    Did your process also get put on hold?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are looking for a personal trainer in the DC area that is specifically geared towards CPAT testing take a look at www.wildfireadventures.com. I ran the recruit training, CPAT testing and several other programs for Washington DCFD. DCFD does not currently have classes in session nor are we testing. Iíve tested several hundred applicants and know what is needed to pass the test. If youíre looking to get in shape or have a specific goal in mind such as CPAT take a look at the site. Training is done in College Park.

Forum Member

Has anyone been hearing anything? I completed the process and was told my packet was complete and in the hiring pool in July, but nothing since then. Any word on the next class, when it will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Radams View Post
    Has anyone been hearing anything? I completed the process and was told my packet was complete and in the hiring pool in July, but nothing since then. Any word on the next class, when it will be?
    Buddy of mine just got picked up for a September class. He completed the process in February. I completed mine in May and have not heard anything, so probably gonna be Feb/March at the earliest, I would imagine.

Forum Member

Is your buddy a medic?

Forum Member

I have been told by a friend there is a Sept and an April class, I was just hoping they had not picked for Sept yet. When did your buddy get notified? Guess I will keep fingers crossed for april!

Forum Member

Hey All:
    Ohio guy here. I go back in October to complete rest of the testing process. I passed my CPAT back in March, so it's been quite a wait. I'm currently in medic school and will finish next March.

Anyone know for sure how many and when the 2013 academies are slated for? Are they snatching medics right up? Or has that slowed down too with the rest of the hiring?

Good luck to everyone else in the process!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marbuckle View Post
    Met with the hiring captain last week.. September candidates are already picked so the Spring recruit school is the next up for selection due to start in April. They do split emt/medic classes of 30.
    Thanks for the info marbuckle! I'm assuming that getting my medic cert a month before the April class starts won't be enough time in advance to get selected. But I'm sure anything's possible. Oh well, I guess I'll be looking to hopefully get selected for next fall then.

Good luck to ya!

Forum Member

Hey Guys new to this thread. I am a NREMT-P from Illinois and interested in applying. I have just read the first few pages on here. So I apologize if I missed the answers to my questions. I am wondering if anything has changed since 2006? What if any stages of the hiring process can be combined to possibly limit traveling? Do they accept out of state/Illinois CPAT? I understand that the cost of living is high in the county. Is it possible to locate to outside areas that are less expensive?

Forum Member

I lived in Illinois before I got hired and they took the CPAT from Illinois. Just make sure that the CPAT place is accredited. Even if they dont accept your CPAT card...they do it here and will schedule it as part of your testing. As far as the hiring process I came out for 3-4 days and did all of the testing in one shot. My wife came with me and we had time to drive around the area to check out housing. Good luck!

Forum Member

So I go to complete my medical exam this week. Can anyone tell me specifics of the treadmill test? How fast and long does it go? I know they put a 12-lead on...Are they just looking for dysrhythmias during exercise or more stuff?

What about a respiratory test?

Does anyone know what a "Class A rating" actually means? I've seen people ask & respond to the question, but very generally. I'm not in top-top shape, but not horrible either. No medical conditions.

Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Forum Member

I'm guessing this is a rolling hiring list? I took my written back in late summer 2011? and passed the CPAT in December of 2011. Then they scheduled me for my first polygraph in May 2012 but had to reschedule due to the buildings AC not working and the room temperature was near 90. Got Rescheduled for some time around july 2012 and a red flag came up on one of the questions but they wanted me to come back to do the polygraph again! Just did my second polygraph last week and was told everything looked good.

The only steps left are interview and medical but im curious to know if you guys tested the same time as me or what the steps to the process really are (I applied as fire/emt). I don't know anyone over in fairfax so i get very little information. Hopefully i get more info soon since i just finished the polygraph stage but any extra info would be great.

Forum Member

Thanks again marbuckle!

Yeah I'm out of state, so I'm going down to do the psych, poly, & medical over 3 days. I applied as a FF/EMT but currently in medic school and will be done in march. I know I won't be seriously looked at until I'm a certified medic....obviously as long as the rest of my testing goes ok.

Forum Member

After pretty much looking through a good portion of this thread i see a lot of great info. One question i do have though is about the Psych Test. Today i received a email saying i passed my poly and moved on to medical. I know what medical consists of and i have passed it in many places. I'm really curious about this psych test though. What is it? haha what would a candidate have to do during it? how are we tested/scored? how long does it take? How to be successful during a psych test?

Just wondering if anyone can give a little insight on this, it would be a big help. I've looked all over for those answers and can't really find any. I probably won't have mine until January or February 2013.

Also, i see that Septembers class was already picked and started and that some are saying next class is April 2013. If i have my psych test and pass in February I'll be finished. Any chance i get selected for April's class?

Thanks in advanced

Quote Originally Posted by b_stevens View Post
    After pretty much looking through a good portion of this thread i see a lot of great info. One question i do have though is about the Psych Test. Today i received a email saying i passed my poly and moved on to medical. I know what medical consists of and i have passed it in many places. I'm really curious about this psych test though. What is it? haha what would a candidate have to do during it? how are we tested/scored? how long does it take? How to be successful during a psych test?

Just wondering if anyone can give a little insight on this, it would be a big help. I've looked all over for those answers and can't really find any. I probably won't have mine until January or February 2013.

Also, i see that Septembers class was already picked and started and that some are saying next class is April 2013. If i have my psych test and pass in February I'll be finished. Any chance i get selected for April's class?

Thanks in advanced
    Psych eval consists of several scantron type tests - if I remember correctly its 2 personality inventories and an IQ test. After you take the test, they tell you to go grab lunch for a while to give them time to score your tests. Then you come back and have an interview with the psychiatrist. Youll be graded as either "Recommend," "Recommend with reservation," or "Not recommended." Its nothing that you can really study for. The personality inventories are True/False with statements like - "I often feel blue" and "People usually like me". just be yourself and be honest. The tests have built in lie detectors (i guess thats what you call them??...) - sets of questions that can tell if you arent being honest due to inconsistencies in your answers. Shouldn't be anything to stress about unless you have something to hide. Good luck!

Thread Information