Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 44451525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1233
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

There is also a "structured interview" after your written psych exam where the psychologist goes over your history again like work experience, criminial background, etc. Its basicay like answering the job application all over again as he writes it down. Plan on atleast 3 hours for the written portion. There's close to 800 questions total. Not difficult, just long.

As for getting hired for April......from what I hear consistently from others, if you are not a certified paramedic, it is exponentially more difficult to be hired. If you are a medic, the chances are much better. I finish medic school in March. As perfect as April would be for to get picked, I'm not banking on it, more like next fall. However, one guy told me theres no absolute recipe to get hired. Anything can happen.

Make sure to get your apps out to other F.D.s too!

Forum Member

I applied for the FF position back in November of last year. It's been going at a steady pace, i took my physical exam last week, i couldn't take the x-ray due to the tech not being there. Called her up and scheduled it for this upcoming Monday. Got a call asking about it not a bad call. Then got a call maybe 2 hours later from Annie stating they wanted to me to go ahead and take the psych exam in 2 weeks. I hope there is a class sooner than April but I'll just be grateful to be allowed in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphill View Post
    I applied for the FF position back in November of last year. It's been going at a steady pace, i took my physical exam last week, i couldn't take the x-ray due to the tech not being there. Called her up and scheduled it for this upcoming Monday. Got a call asking about it not a bad call. Then got a call maybe 2 hours later from Annie stating they wanted to me to go ahead and take the psych exam in 2 weeks. I hope there is a class sooner than April but I'll just be grateful to be allowed in.
    Hey phillyphill, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you...I have my physical Jan. 3 though and then things will go from there hopefully. As far as i can tell by the info on here the next class will be in April and it would be split half medics and half ff/emt's. I've been searching for more info on this the past few days and haven't found much. I know that once our file is "Complete" it will be active for four years? i believe that's what Capt. said on test day but everything i see here says two years. Maybe things changed due to the renovations of the training academy or maybe i just misheard. Any chance you know if the people who applied for the FF/EMT positions last November are going to be the only eligible people for the ff/emt slots for the upcoming classes? I know the previous ff/emt application to ours was way back in june 2010. Wondering if anyone would still be eligible from that list or if it had completely expired yet.

Anyways, good luck with the rest of the process...I'm hoping to have things done in time to have a chance to be selected for the April's class.

Forum Member

I have no idea, my best friend who is a ff for ffx said he thinks there is a class in jan. I know that's what capt said during my written test last year. But whenever it is good luck. Every person ive met along the way has been really nice.

Forum Member

Anyone work as a medic part or full-time in the Fairfax County Hospitals or hospitals in the surrounding area? Is it a good job? Decent pay?

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything about possible 2013 academies?

Forum Member

Phillyphill, are you going in as FF/EMT or Paramedic. I am going in for FF/EMT and started the process last November. I got an email yesterday that my probable letter of completion is in the mail.I dont know whether I would be called for tlhe upcoming class. Any clue when next class would be scheduled?Mix information about Jan,March and April 2013.

Forum Member

I'm going for FF/EMT. What was the last step in the process? It seemed like when they called me for my last thing that there rushing me to get it done like a class is coming up soon or something. My buddy who is a FF said he heard they may have a class in Jan. I'll ask him again in a couple of weeks.

Forum Member

My last step was psychological examination.Dont know why they wanna accelerate your process. When are you scheduled for the last step?I just received my completion letter and hope they call me for the upcoming class. When do they usaully make the calls. If one misses the call because of work related issues, do they give room for one to call back?

Forum Member

Yeah I don't know either and I'm not complaining. My last step is on the 21st, and I complete my physical tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they'll give you a chance to call them back. Just look for a 703-246 number.

Forum Member

Good luck.

Forum Member

@ marbuckle and b_stevens,whatz going on? how far are you guys in the process?Any news on next class and its composition? I hear hiring has got some criteria considered other than just completing the process,eg race, languages etc.I dont know how reliable this information is.

@ are there other candidates who have completed the process lately or during the last months and are waiting to be called?

does anyone has an idea when these calls usually come in? In the past it shows that calls come in between mid Nov to mid Dec for Feb/April class. The question is has anyone got a call already?

Forum Member

I'm on the second to last step, Physical. I don't have it until Jan. 3 though cuz of the holidays and stuff. Then after that all i have is psych eval...I've heard nothing in terms of a new class starting soon, I've even read the county's budget FY13 to try and find some info and i don't find much.

As for the finish early and you have a better chance to get hired stuff i don't think is totally true. Could be wrong obviously. My thought for this is that i was supposed to have my first polygraph test in May but it was the first HOT weekend that summer and they said the building was 90+ degrees cuz they didn't turn the AC on yet so they wanted me to reschedule and i did. When they rescheduled me i didn't get tested until like mid august. So point being if that's the case, finish early and you have a higher chance, than i really got screwed by scheduling my poly on the first hot day of summer! It just wouldn't make sense to do that. The person next to me could be 100x the firefighter i could be but because my calender lined up better so i could get my testing done sooner lead to why I got the job wouldn't be right.

The race and language thing well for race they probably have to hire so many minorities and that's for legal reasons. May not be a good reason but a reason still. Languages they might like someone who knows other languages and it could be a deciding factor if two people are all but equal in that department.

Overall, i would just say do your best at everything and treat everyone you come in contact with, with respect and like they are the ones deciding if you get hired or not. Looking back it seemed like it was a 6 week or so window from the time of call to the start of academy but that was like two years ago and thing could of changed. Also, i haven't heard of anyone receiving a call and actually your the only person i've even heard of finishing everything.

Forum Member

@ Cassy:

I've been in the process since November as an FF/EMT applicant. I did my med, poly, psych a month ago all in one week. I'm still waiting to get my official results. I was not being accelerated through the process, they do it that way for out-of-staters for convenience. EVERY applicant goes through the full testing process as long as they are passing everything. This is contrary to many other department recruitments where you only go through med, poly, etc if they really are going to hire you.

I highly doubt it is a "first come, first hire" list. However I'd assume that they will look at people who have been on the "completed" list longer first I'm sure they take into account education, work experience, references in the dept., and etc. I have heard that race and gender do play a part in hiring, unofficially of course. Bi-lingual is definitely a plus too. Having your medic cert is a golden key as well. I'm in medic school now to hopefully help my chances. I actually was planning on never being hired without having my medic cert first. I just wanted to complete the process so that when I got my medic, I just had to update my file and not just start the whole process.

But at the end of the day, the department is going to do whatever they have to based on their needs, wants, finances, etc. So one thing that is said today, the opposite is said tomorrow. I've learned to take everything I see and hear with a grain of salt and continue to focus on achieving things like certs and experience, that will hopefully help increase my chances while I wait.

Talking to recruitment directly is your best source!
    Last edited by PreMedic13; 11-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Forum Member

@All

Thank you guys for the flash of information shared. It`s very unpredictable how the hiring process runs. But some of these questions can only be answered by the recruitment office and as well as when you are called upon for the class which of course will help you figure out exactly how the process works otherwise all what we write here is just speculative information sharing which of course help to calm our imaginations. If I call recruitment office will they give me information about upcoming schedules?

I started the process Nov last year and had no idea how many positions were up for recruitment but was amazed by the long duration between steps. I dont know whether the long duration was due to the fact that my badge would only be considered for 2013 and beyond or has anybody got any insight to chip on this? Because I havent read about anybody from Nov 2011 called for a class already. Secondly does anyone know besides Nov 2011 if there was any application period before and when was that precisely? This would help us figure out how the old list looks like.

Forum Member

From what I heard from inside the dept, there were over 1,200 people testing from the Nov. 2011 FF/EMT application period. So I'm assuming atleast a good few hundred people will go through/complete the whole process and wait on the list. They typically run 2 classes a year with about 30 recruits each (15medics/15non-medics). In the past, the focus had been on hiring only medics. That has slowed down though. Again, it just depends on the deptartments needs and finances.

I've found that long waits seems to be common with many fire departments. You potentially have shortened waits the more criteria you fit. I have yet to see a hurry-up hiring process anywhere (except Fairfax County about 5 years ago running 4 academies a year, snatching medics immediately). I can say that part for a fact since my buddy was hired and started his academy 2 weeks after medic school.

My advice...Don't worry about how big the list is or the speed of the process. Do what you can to stand out from the rest. There's no perfect recipe to get hired.

But yes, contact recruitment with questions. The worst that are going to tell is that they don't know yet or that they can't disclose that information.

Forum Member

Just put my resume in, how long until you heard about an application for fire/medic?

Forum Member

Well good-luck to everyone who is on the list and still waiting. @Cassey how was the psych exam was it nerve wrecking and how long did it last?

Forum Member

@Pillyphill, Being on the list is one thing and getting called is another thing. One struggles to get the process complete then you start wondering whether you would be called. In anycase thank you.
    I want to wish all those still in the process all the best and patience is the key. For me the first part lasted for almost 4 hours because I wanted to make sure that I understood the questions very well before giving any response. The second part, the interview with a psychologist lasted for about 45mins,basically consisting review of the first part, personal information and employment history and it is pretty easy.
    Good luck

Forum Member

Well I took my psych exam today and man anybody that takes that almost deserves the job that is a process in itself. Its just the fact that you're sitting there for 3/4 hours just filling in bubbles, I don't think the SOL tests were this bad. But I passed with no red flags so that's a good sign.

Thread Information