Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 74754555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1203
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Hi I'm a paramedic I applied to fairfax and have the written the 28th of Aug. How many paramedics do they typically take in a recruit class? I know about seven paramedics just from my area who have applied and done the testing in the past couple of months.

Also does Farifax typically do one class a year or do they do more?

Hi Snarff. Historically, there has been classes with all paramedics (approx 25 recruits) and there have been classes with only a few. Considering that we have an ongoing recruitment for ALS providers, I would assume that, as recruitment gets ALS providers through the system, they place them in a class.

Typically, FCFRD runs several classes a year. Sometimes even starting one before the prior one completes. I'm not sure of their current plan.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Ok thanks for the information its greatly appreciated. Hopefully all goes well in the testing process for me.

Forum Member

I appreciate the reply. I finished the process in July. I was just wondering if I had a shot at the next class.

Forum Member

In January (IIRC), there's supposed to be a HUGE class going through. Combined FF/EMT's and FF/medics. We're opening a new fire station soon, and it's going to be staffed on an overtime basis until we can get some recruit schools through. In addition, we're looking at increasing our staffing on ladder trucks and towers to 4 instead of three (as it is currently), with a medic. We have 14 of these units. It's unclear whether this is going to happen just in the busy truck houses, or all of them. Regardless, there will be an uptick in the hiring rate, so make sure that you're checking in regularly with recruitment to get an offer. As always, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You'll be coming in at a great time - we have a new Fire Chief that has increased morale substantially. He's done a lot for us already, and in return he doesn't ask much - just execute the basics perfectly, train, train, train, do your physical training on a regular basis, and visit some homes for two hours every Saturday to offer safety checks, smoke detector checks, and basically just meet and greet those we serve. I saw him at the Fire Academy the other day, soaked in sweat after doing PT. He does it, so there's absolutely no excuse not to be in fighting shape on your first day in recruit school.

Pester recruitment to schedule all of your testing, then call them periodically to show continued interest.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by O501 View Post
    In January (IIRC), there's supposed to be a HUGE class going through. Combined FF/EMT's and FF/medics. We're opening a new fire station soon, and it's going to be staffed on an overtime basis until we can get some recruit schools through. In addition, we're looking at increasing our staffing on ladder trucks and towers to 4 instead of three (as it is currently), with a medic. We have 14 of these units. It's unclear whether this is going to happen just in the busy truck houses, or all of them. Regardless, there will be an uptick in the hiring rate, so make sure that you're checking in regularly with recruitment to get an offer. As always, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You'll be coming in at a great time - we have a new Fire Chief that has increased morale substantially. He's done a lot for us already, and in return he doesn't ask much - just execute the basics perfectly, train, train, train, do your physical training on a regular basis, and visit some homes for two hours every Saturday to offer safety checks, smoke detector checks, and basically just meet and greet those we serve. I saw him at the Fire Academy the other day, soaked in sweat after doing PT. He does it, so there's absolutely no excuse not to be in fighting shape on your first day in recruit school.

Pester recruitment to schedule all of your testing, then call them periodically to show continued interest.
    I've heard that Fairfax has received a huge grant for hiring also.

Forum Member

http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/groups/...-to-fema-grant

How reliable is your source on a January academy? I was told late September as an estimate back in May from recruiting, but no notifications it sounds like have been made as of late.

Forum Member

Fire Chief said last week that a class will be starting in January. I have heard as many as 50 recruits will get hired. Make sure all of your ducks are in a row with recruitment and remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adenosine6 View Post
    http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/groups/...-to-fema-grant

How reliable is your source on a January academy? I was told late September as an estimate back in May from recruiting, but no notifications it sounds like have been made as of late.
    I typically receive advisories for openings at the academy for EMS training for recruits, which occurs early on, before suppression starts. I haven't heard anything yet, so that means that no school is starting for at least a couple of months. I've been consistently hearing that there will be a class in January.

That grant is to allow up-staffing of our (relatively) urban truck companies from three to four people. Those 19 hires will be in addition to the normal 25-30 recruits typically hired for each class, so a class of 50 (give or take) sounds reasonable.

Forum Member

There will be a RC136 A and B (running concurrently), with a total of 55-60 positions between the two schools. Starts in January, ends in July. This is from the Fire Chief, so this is highly accurate. I don't know when the calls will go out, but I would contact recruitment right now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by O501 View Post
    There will be a RC136 A and B (running concurrently), with a total of 55-60 positions between the two schools. Starts in January, ends in July. This is from the Fire Chief, so this is highly accurate. I don't know when the calls will go out, but I would contact recruitment right now.
    I contacted Annie a couple of weeks ago with an updated resume. I also let her know in great detail how interested I still am ; in becoming a FF/PM for FCFRD. What more can I do?

Forum Member

Does anybody know how strict fairfax is about driving records and a few past speeding tickets, nothing serious, just speeding. Is it an automatic DQ or still able to go through the process since they're doing major EMT-P hiring?? Taking the test in a week....thanks!

Forum Member

If your hired in as a Firefighter/Medic are you on an ambulance or an paramedic engine company?

Forum Member

All medic spots?

i found out on tuesday selection has started, but no status on phone calls

has anyone received a call for class 136 yet? i was told the selection process has started, but not if calls/letters have gone out.

Forum Member

Any word on if/when Notifications will be sent out to the future recruits have started?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ragingcajun View Post
    Any word on if/when Notifications will be sent out to the future recruits have started?
    I, also, would like to know. Someone has mentioned they're usually given a month out, so sometime in December.

i spoke with recriutment in the beginning of november and was told Selection had not official gotten under way. Anyone selected would be notified by phone first. it was hinted that if the class were to start in january selected applicants would be notified with enough time to prepare for arrival. My guest would be after thanksgiving - beginning of december.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTMED09 View Post
    Does anybody know how strict fairfax is about driving records and a few past speeding tickets, nothing serious, just speeding. Is it an automatic DQ or still able to go through the process since they're doing major EMT-P hiring?? Taking the test in a week....thanks!
    "A few" speeding tickets, depending on how long ago, shouldn't do too much damage, particularly if you are already a Paramedic.

Good luck!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Thread Information