+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 51 First ... 345678916 ... Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

HenryChan, I understand that there are qualified minorities, that wasn't my gripe. Its that qualified minorities are taken over qualified whites, pure and simple. I speak two languages, have a comparable training schedule, volunteered in multiple roles for 8 years, study my butt off as well but guess what...push comes to shove, a minority candidate will be chosen over a comparable white. Is that right?

It sounds like you may deserve a shot and goodluck to you.
    Last edited by wvffnj; 08-09-2006 at 12:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand that EMT cert. is not required to apply, but is it neccessary to get on the job? ... or is EMT training a part of the academy?

Thanks
    Derrick

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DWCCO3
    I understand that EMT cert. is not required to apply, but is it neccessary to get on the job? ... or is EMT training a part of the academy?

Thanks
    Derrick
    Yes, but if you are a Paramedic already, it will help a lot with getting the job in the first place.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by DWCCO3
    ... is EMT training a part of the academy?
    Yes, EMT is part of your recruit school experience. Like your driver's license, you will be required to maintain EMT-Basic for the duration of your career.

Forum Member

Default Are ALS providers treated equally with regard to promotion?

I stumbled upon a report published from a 2004 Regional EMS Forum - National Capital Area. It made references to the fact that promotional opportunities in many departments is MORE limited to ALS trained firefighters (medics) than to "fire-side" trained firefighters.

Is this true in FX county?? I'm in ALS training now and am trying to get hired in the county.

References from the report...

"...in many departments, the only way to get promoted is to be on the “fire side,” and so paramedics see their career as “dead-end” unless they have significant fire experience."

"ALS qualifications generally mean that one can move on into Senior Staff positions (in-house advancement). A relevant question in the realm of career advancement becomes, “are there were enough positions to move up into?” The answer strictly within EMS systems is “probably not,” "

Here's a link to the report.... http://www.gwu.edu/~icdrm/publicatio...4%20posted.pdf

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by tucker9
    Is this true in FX county?? I'm in ALS training now and am trying to get hired in the county.
    No.

In the past two budget cycles, the following ALS specific positions were established:

Three battalion chiefs
    Three Captain II's (EMS 7 a-b-c) part of the 7th Battalion management team
    Six unit officers Captain or Lieutenant: Medics 440 and 441

There are two or three basic ambulances that are to be upgraded to paramedic units in the next two budget cycles (such as Medic 430).

More importantly, paramedic certified candidates for ANY of the civil service exams tend to perform better than their fire-only counterparts. This is due to the improved study skills developed to pass paramedic.

About one third of the command staff from battalion chief to fire chief was or still is an ALS provider. Including the fire chief, who worked on Medic 10 before going to Truck 11 as a Lieutenant.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 10-12-2006 at 12:05 PM.

Rabble rouser

(Gotta wake up pretty damn early in the morning to get a reply before Ward!)

Part of the calculation for placement on any promotional list in Fairfax County is 'career development'. This is a major bone of contention for several people, but the fact is that it exists.

With career development, you get points for classes that you have taken. There are prerequisites like Instructor and Officer, core classes like human resouce management, building construction, math and english (ALS counts for three of these classes), and you can also get credit for 10 elective classes. On top of all of that is 12 points for ALS certification. I will tell you something for 100% certian though, if there are 15 people who got a 98% on a written exam, passed the practical exam, and have nearly the same amount of career development points, the one with ALS certification will be on top every time.

Now this doesn't eliminate the non-ALS personnel from scoring well and ranking high on the list, but it does make it more difficult.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

I read a while ago they were selecting recruits for the December school this 23rd. Does anyone know if they're done already?

Forum Member

The City of Fairfax Fire Department is seeking qualified applicants to fill 4 Firefighter/Medic (ALS) positions and 9 Firefighter/EMT (BLS) positions. Eligible candidates must have the following prerequisite certifications to be considered:

NFPA Firefighter II (Virginia or equivalent)
    Virginia or National Registry EMT Paramedic/Intermediate/Basic (depending on position sought)
    Hazardous Materials Operations (Virginia or equivalent)
    Emergency Vehicle Operations (Virginia or equivalent)
    Interested applicants should complete an application for employment on line (or download the form) from this site: http://www.fairfaxva.gov/personnel/J....asp?JobID=407
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    The City of Fairfax Fire Department is seeking qualified applicants to fill 4 Firefighter/Medic (ALS) positions and 9 Firefighter/EMT (BLS) positions.
    and...

The County of Fairfax Fire (and Rescue) Department is seeking qualified applicants to fill around 90 positions (in 2007 alone!).

MembersZone Subscriber

May I ask what the difference is between the City and the County of Fairfax? Does it operate as a separate Department? Or, is it more of a sister Department?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HenryChan
    May I ask what the difference is between the City and the County of Fairfax? Does it operate as a separate Department? Or, is it more of a sister Department?
    both sort of
    -Big Russ

Rabble rouser

The City and the County are two totally seperate departments with separate employees, SOPs, volunteer organizations, equipment (except I have seen Truck 3 using a County reserve), EMS protocols and more. The City is dispatched by the County and utilizes the County CAD system.

The city has two stations.
    The county has thirty-six stations.

Clear as mud?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    The City and the County are two totally seperate departments with separate employees, SOPs, volunteer organizations, equipment (except I have seen Truck 3 using a County reserve), EMS protocols and more. The City is dispatched by the County and utilizes the County CAD system.

The city has two stations.
    The county has thirty-six stations.

Clear as mud?
    Like I said, sort of. And volunteers at station 6 are sort of Arlington and sort of Fairfax.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Default Recruitment Captain Pfeifer retired?

I heard that Capt. Pfeifer retired and there's a new recruitment Captain. Anyone have any inside info about how this may/may not change the direction of recruitment?

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by tucker9
    I heard that Capt. Pfeifer retired and there's a new recruitment Captain. Anyone have any inside info about how this may/may not change the direction of recruitment?

Captain Cheri Stroup is now the Captain II of recruitment. I'm not sure how (or if!) this will change recruitment. Personally, I like Cheri and I think she will do very well up there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking recruit school 121

Any recruits from the 121 class post here? If so congrats to all!! After all the hard work and application process (which seemed like an eternity,but really wasnt)..I made it. This is something I have been looking forward to for years since I moved to Fairfax, VA, close to five years ago..I look forward to meeting and working with you all this December..I've noticed a few people from the county posting on here and was really interested in finding out what life during recruit schools going to be like? If you want to PM me with like a minor description of what schools going to be like, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Im looking for an idea of what class, PT and all is goig to be like..

Thanks...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard
    For Fairfax County, they were to meet the diversity as represented by the metro Washington DC Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (SMSA). This area includes Washington DC and Prince George's County (MD). In the 1970's the fire department hiring diversity issue was African Americans.
    That would make the requirement for blacks around 80 or 90 percent. I used to live in PG.

Quote Originally Posted by willisjones
    The drugs question said other than marijuana and the amounts we discussed previously have you used any other drugs? To both questions I answered truthfully and said no.
    Am I being too literal? the answer for me would be yes. Nothing illegal, but i was given Demerol for an eye injury many years ago and numerous unknown locals.
    Last edited by DonSmithnotTMD; 11-05-2006 at 04:56 PM.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD
    That would make the requirement for blacks around 80 or 90 percent. I used to live in PG.
    No, the hiring goal reflects the diversity of the combined jurisdictions. A more accurate figure is 29% for African Americans within this statistical area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb paramedic from ohio near lancaster area looking for a job anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by nlfdrescue8
    i am a 20yr old firefighter 2/paramedic from ohio near lancaster area looking for a job anywhere.... i wouldnt mind moving for the right job, and any input would be very helpful. thanks
    If you are seriouse about moving anywhere and desire low cost living then check this out: www.southwestmedevac.com they are Recruiting Paramedic's, (and Nurses) they provide the Flight Paramedic training and exams(FPC), CCEMTP course, great salery, for the area. They also have advertisement on Firehouse for 2 of the 12 bases, and opening more in 2007.check it on flightweb.com as well. sorry though no firefighting...have to sacrafice something for the Rotor i gues.
    well, Be safe

You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him.-Leo Aikman

Forum Member

Question Who does FX County Hire...

So I've been looking at the recent recruit classes trying to figure out who the county likes to hire. Who is the county after....educated (high test scores), young, experienced, ethnic, rough & tough??? The last recruit class photo I saw, for instance, looks fairly diverse but they certainly don't look like big beefy studs or tough gals...they look fairly wimpy....even a little geeky. When I look at other departments (large), their hires sort of fit the standard of what most of the public would expect (tough guys, GQ, muscular, meatheads, etc.). I know I'm gonna get ribbed for this but........when you look at the class pictures, it's confusing (granted by looks only). Go ahead...take your shots. But honestly who are they looking for???

Rabble rouser

You hit the nail on the head with one of your observations. Diversity. Not just ethinic, but in every way.

Fairfax County is looking for a number of different things, paramedics, multi-language speakers, minorities and many other things. Since I am not in recruitment, I cannot answer for all of the things that Fairfax County is looking for.

Also keep in mind that those photos are taken at the beginning of rookie school. I know I looked much different from beginning to end!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default December 16th Test

Anyone taking the Dec. 16th test in a couple of weeks?

Forum Member

What Are The Chances Of Getting Hired With Out Having Emt Or Medic Ccertification.

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by ffthomas2002
    What Are The Chances Of Getting Hired With Out Having Emt Or Medic Ccertification.
    Not bad... just be patient.

Do you speak another language? Anything else that sets you apart from the crowd?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 51 First ... 345678916 ... Last

Thread Information