Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456789101757 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCHTC77
    So, what you're saying is if any minority Firefighter is hired they're automatically going to be tagged as "getting in with the minority tag"?

That's retarded.
    Ummmm, no... but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

Forum Member

Thanks for the detailed response mike, it was much more informational than DCHTC77's well, emotional outburst. I'm curious why fairfax has to meet the dc area's demographics, especially considering fairfax has a 70% caucasion population. Gotta love government and politicians. I'm going to take your advice and not call up requesting any such information, haha. I've recently completed the process and look forward to hearing from the department.

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by wvffnj
    I'm curious why fairfax has to meet the dc area's demographics, especially considering fairfax has a 70% caucasion population.
    Because that is what the judge and the consent decree said. Your point was argued during the negotiations.

Each municipality seems to have been handled differently when it comes to resolving diversity issues with the feds. Even using Fairfax County stats, the fire department is underepresented in Asians and Latinos/Central Americans.

If the 2010 census documents a surge of "Newcomers" (Alien Nation - 1988) we will need to reflect their addition to our community as well.

Good luck with the process!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 08-07-2006 at 10:24 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber HenryChan's Avatar

I guess I'll chime in here. My name says it all. Yes, I'm Chinese and I've been testing to get into several fire departments in the DC area. I moved here from Connecticut late last year. I've had this discussion with my friends, who are firefighters, and they don't see an issue if I got into a department they were trying to get into. The main reason is because they know I can do the job.

Yes, perhaps the fact that I am Chinese plays a small role. But, I don't think it plays a major role at all. Simply because I am Chinese does not make me a shoe-in. I've been an athlete my entire life. I study my butt off. I hit the gym for cardio and strength training five to six days a week. I was a volunteer for four years. When I look at a department such as Fairfax I cannot see them hiring me simply because I am Chinese. What I hope they see is a hard working person who does what it takes to become a great firefighter. I mean their process takes months and months...I've never seen a process more screened before in my life!

I don't see any department taking me over someone else if they were more qualified. But, at the same time if a portion of Fairfax is Chinese how helpful would it be to have someone who speaks it? For me, speaking two languages (three if you count sign language) is the same as me being able to run five miles a day or do stairs with my 50lb vest on for 10 minutes straight. For me, it's a skill. And it's a skill that helps me be a better firefighter.

I've tested for several different departments here and Connecticut (when I was up there), and I have yet to see any advantages of being Chinese during the process.

Forum Member

Short and sweet.

The key is not lowering standards in order to enable minorities to get in. That will only get your unqualified candidates, and create racial tensions.

How about recruitment in areas where there are minorities? Keep the same standards. I'd be willing to bet this is something that is often overlooked, but is a simple solution to a complex problem. If you recruit well and among different ethnic and racial communities, you will find there are many intelligent, athletic, and qualified "minorities" for the job of firefighter.

Watering down the test only gets you worried if the guy behind you on the line is gonna be able to do his job.

Forum Member

HenryChan, I understand that there are qualified minorities, that wasn't my gripe. Its that qualified minorities are taken over qualified whites, pure and simple. I speak two languages, have a comparable training schedule, volunteered in multiple roles for 8 years, study my butt off as well but guess what...push comes to shove, a minority candidate will be chosen over a comparable white. Is that right?

It sounds like you may deserve a shot and goodluck to you.
    Last edited by wvffnj; 08-09-2006 at 12:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand that EMT cert. is not required to apply, but is it neccessary to get on the job? ... or is EMT training a part of the academy?

Thanks
    Derrick

Quote Originally Posted by DWCCO3
    I understand that EMT cert. is not required to apply, but is it neccessary to get on the job? ... or is EMT training a part of the academy?

Thanks
    Derrick
    Yes, but if you are a Paramedic already, it will help a lot with getting the job in the first place.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by DWCCO3
    ... is EMT training a part of the academy?
    Yes, EMT is part of your recruit school experience. Like your driver's license, you will be required to maintain EMT-Basic for the duration of your career.

Forum Member

Default Are ALS providers treated equally with regard to promotion?

I stumbled upon a report published from a 2004 Regional EMS Forum - National Capital Area. It made references to the fact that promotional opportunities in many departments is MORE limited to ALS trained firefighters (medics) than to "fire-side" trained firefighters.

Is this true in FX county?? I'm in ALS training now and am trying to get hired in the county.

References from the report...

"...in many departments, the only way to get promoted is to be on the “fire side,” and so paramedics see their career as “dead-end” unless they have significant fire experience."

"ALS qualifications generally mean that one can move on into Senior Staff positions (in-house advancement). A relevant question in the realm of career advancement becomes, “are there were enough positions to move up into?” The answer strictly within EMS systems is “probably not,” "

Here's a link to the report.... http://www.gwu.edu/~icdrm/publicatio...4%20posted.pdf

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by tucker9
    Is this true in FX county?? I'm in ALS training now and am trying to get hired in the county.
    No.

In the past two budget cycles, the following ALS specific positions were established:

Three battalion chiefs
    Three Captain II's (EMS 7 a-b-c) part of the 7th Battalion management team
    Six unit officers Captain or Lieutenant: Medics 440 and 441

There are two or three basic ambulances that are to be upgraded to paramedic units in the next two budget cycles (such as Medic 430).

More importantly, paramedic certified candidates for ANY of the civil service exams tend to perform better than their fire-only counterparts. This is due to the improved study skills developed to pass paramedic.

About one third of the command staff from battalion chief to fire chief was or still is an ALS provider. Including the fire chief, who worked on Medic 10 before going to Truck 11 as a Lieutenant.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 10-12-2006 at 12:05 PM.

(Gotta wake up pretty damn early in the morning to get a reply before Ward!)

Part of the calculation for placement on any promotional list in Fairfax County is 'career development'. This is a major bone of contention for several people, but the fact is that it exists.

With career development, you get points for classes that you have taken. There are prerequisites like Instructor and Officer, core classes like human resouce management, building construction, math and english (ALS counts for three of these classes), and you can also get credit for 10 elective classes. On top of all of that is 12 points for ALS certification. I will tell you something for 100% certian though, if there are 15 people who got a 98% on a written exam, passed the practical exam, and have nearly the same amount of career development points, the one with ALS certification will be on top every time.

Now this doesn't eliminate the non-ALS personnel from scoring well and ranking high on the list, but it does make it more difficult.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

I read a while ago they were selecting recruits for the December school this 23rd. Does anyone know if they're done already?

The City of Fairfax Fire Department is seeking qualified applicants to fill 4 Firefighter/Medic (ALS) positions and 9 Firefighter/EMT (BLS) positions. Eligible candidates must have the following prerequisite certifications to be considered:

NFPA Firefighter II (Virginia or equivalent)
    Virginia or National Registry EMT Paramedic/Intermediate/Basic (depending on position sought)
    Hazardous Materials Operations (Virginia or equivalent)
    Emergency Vehicle Operations (Virginia or equivalent)
    Interested applicants should complete an application for employment on line (or download the form) from this site: http://www.fairfaxva.gov/personnel/J....asp?JobID=407
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    The City of Fairfax Fire Department is seeking qualified applicants to fill 4 Firefighter/Medic (ALS) positions and 9 Firefighter/EMT (BLS) positions.
    and...

The County of Fairfax Fire (and Rescue) Department is seeking qualified applicants to fill around 90 positions (in 2007 alone!).

MembersZone Subscriber HenryChan's Avatar

May I ask what the difference is between the City and the County of Fairfax? Does it operate as a separate Department? Or, is it more of a sister Department?

Quote Originally Posted by HenryChan
    May I ask what the difference is between the City and the County of Fairfax? Does it operate as a separate Department? Or, is it more of a sister Department?
    both sort of
    -Big Russ

The City and the County are two totally seperate departments with separate employees, SOPs, volunteer organizations, equipment (except I have seen Truck 3 using a County reserve), EMS protocols and more. The City is dispatched by the County and utilizes the County CAD system.

The city has two stations.
    The county has thirty-six stations.

Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    The City and the County are two totally seperate departments with separate employees, SOPs, volunteer organizations, equipment (except I have seen Truck 3 using a County reserve), EMS protocols and more. The City is dispatched by the County and utilizes the County CAD system.

The city has two stations.
    The county has thirty-six stations.

Clear as mud?
    Like I said, sort of. And volunteers at station 6 are sort of Arlington and sort of Fairfax.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Default Recruitment Captain Pfeifer retired?

I heard that Capt. Pfeifer retired and there's a new recruitment Captain. Anyone have any inside info about how this may/may not change the direction of recruitment?

Thread Information