Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up fairfax county

i am a 20yr old firefighter 2/paramedic from ohio near lancaster area looking for a job anywhere. i have heard a lot about fairfax county and see they are a fairly large department. anyone have any input on the department, is it a nice place to work? nice area to move? i wouldnt mind moving for the right job, and any input would be very helpful. thanks

Forum Member

I currently work for another agency in Fairfax County and am trying to get on with the FRD. I can't give you any info about working for the FRD, but I can tell you that Fairfax County is a really nice place to live, and working for the county is good too. The nice thing about working for the FRD is that there are 37 (I think) different stations, with at least one more opening fairly soon, so you could work in a lot of diverse areas.

If you haven't checked it out already:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/

Plus if you're a medic, they still aggressively hiring for those positions.

MembersZone Subscriber

You'll need more than a firefighter's salary to live there though.

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by nlfdrescue8
    i am a 20yr old firefighter 2/paramedic from ohio near lancaster area looking for a job anywhere. i have heard a lot about fairfax county and see they are a fairly large department. anyone have any input on the department, is it a nice place to work? nice area to move? i wouldnt mind moving for the right job, and any input would be very helpful. thanks
    I was a volunteer with a station in Fairfax County for 5 years, a paid Firefighter/Paramedic in Houston, Texas for 5 years, a paramedic with DC Fire for a year and now a paid Firefighter/Paramedic with Fairfax County for the past 3 years. I can say without a doubt that Fairfax County is the best department that I have worked for so far. There is a very good labor/management relationship and the some of the, if not THE, finest Health/Safety benefits in the country.

Let me know what else you would like to know and I will try to help.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the information. is the cost of living high in that area? i live in a small town in ohio and the living is cheap, so i would expect an increase, but how expensive is it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes expensive, but I can't give you numbers because I live in good 'ol cheap WV. My dad lives there and I can tell you that he just sold his town house for $450,000 and only payed $150,000 for it about 12 years ago. He and his wife just built a new house that cost $365,000, the same house where I live might go for 130,000 - 150,000, so you can see that things are abit inflated. Keep in mind, you are just outside the nation's capitol, so prices are at a premium. You can always live out of area and commute as Fairfax Co. has no residency requirements.

MembersZone Subscriber

there not kidding

cost of a town house can be in the half a million range and lets not forget about the traffic in and around the county

MembersZone Subscriber

Is the outlook good to get hired on in Fairfax County? I notice they are always taking applications

Rabble rouser

Cost of living in Fairfax County itself is high... that is a fact, but as it was said before, you don't have tolive in Fairfax County to work here.

Is the outlook good to get hired on in Fairfax County?
    If you are a NR-I or NR-P, your chances are excellent...

MembersZone Subscriber

Kobersteen- I don't have my EMT yet, so should I still apply? Or would I not even get looked at? I was looking at the minimum qualif. but didn't say EMT, am thinking about applying though. How does the hiring process work?

Rabble rouser

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ffman02
    Kobersteen- I don't have my EMT yet, so should I still apply? Or would I not even get looked at? I was looking at the minimum qualif. but didn't say EMT, am thinking about applying though. How does the hiring process work?
    Absolutely apply! The reason why I stress the NR-I and P is that it has been identified as a business need, so those with those certifications are being pushed through the process more rapidly than those without. We still have MANY openings in every class for people who are not I's or P's.

The process is detailed at: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/recruitment/

Do not be discouraged if it takes time. Fairfax County is a great department to work for and it is definately worth the effort!

MembersZone Subscriber

Kobersteen- big thanks for your information here. I was just wondering, I was looking at the hiring process, and I notice the steps you have to pass, and wanted to ask if you thought it would still be good for me to still apply even if I am in living in Georgia? I know how you said that Fairfox Co doesn't have residency requirements. I lived in Virginia about 10 years ago, so I understand the cost of living and those things, but was just wondering if the trips to VA would be worth it? Like a good shot at a job, I mean. I know how the competition is very tough down here and anywhere for the career.

Forum Member

Default DC Fire

Kobersteen,

I noticed you said you were a DC medic and Houston at one time, I was looking into the DC Medic Process and Houston Medic Process that was just posted, any info on what it's like or what it would be like to work for the DCFD or Houston as a medic?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cashton
    You'll need more than a firefighter's salary to live there though.
    Only if you have a "keep up with the Joneses" lifestyle. Otherwise you can deffinately get by OK and raise your kids with one of the greatest public school systems in the world.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by ffman02
    ...wanted to ask if you thought it would still be good for me to still apply even if I am in living in Georgia?
    Sure... what do you have to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by CarnyTheKid
    I noticed you said you were a DC medic and Houston at one time, I was looking into the DC Medic Process and Houston Medic Process that was just posted, any info on what it's like or what it would be like to work for the DCFD or Houston as a medic?
    Drop me an e-mail at JKobersteen@fairfaxfirefighters.org and I'll try to help ya out...

MembersZone Subscriber

well, i hadnt seen this thread till now, but i emailed my app. to fairfax county just a bit ago, and already recieved confirmation on it. i have been a volunteer for ears ( since i was 18-now 25 ) i dont know anything about that area, but a ff job is what i want.

kobersteen, any ideas on chances for a 25 / m, no career exp, im not a medic, but can be ( was an eca ) ive got ALOT of certs from teex/esti from brayton field in college station. I did graduate a fire academy already, but wasnt able to get a job, so my cert expired.

sorry if i sound like im rambling, i feel im getting old, and i need a career, not the 911 dispatch i do now.

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by 275fbvfd
    kobersteen, any ideas on chances for a 25 / m, no career exp, im not a medic, but can be ( was an eca ) ive got ALOT of certs from teex/esti from brayton field in college station. I did graduate a fire academy already, but wasnt able to get a job, so my cert expired.
    Well, like I've said before, Fairfax County is really looking for ALS providers, but they still hire non-ALS providers. The business need is for ALS providers, but there are still non-ALS providers in every class.

Unfortunately, from my experience, the certs mean very little other than you will most likely have an easier time picking up the general fire stuff if you make it into rookie school.

Give my best to Laird and let him know that despite his history, workplace violence is STLL not acceptable.
    Last edited by Kobersteen; 02-21-2006 at 08:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kobersteen- I printed out the application and am going to mail it tomorrow. Also, wanted to ask how many recruit classes does the county have a year? Hopefully if I pass all the recruitment steps, should take about a year or so?

Forum Member

Here is a link to a previous post by Kobersteen which has tentative recruit class dates:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...342#post629342

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Kobersteen]Well, like I've said before, Fairfax County is really looking for ALS providers, but they still hire non-ALS providers. The business need is for ALS providers, but there are still non-ALS providers in every class.
    QUOTE]

Kobersteen - What's the main difference in ALS between EMT-I and P (besides definition - intermed. vs. paramedic) with regards to training and what FX county looks for (on their personal history statement required for submission, they ask for NREMT-Paramedic or Intermediate cert#'s). Will one get you hired quicker than the other? Or do they place equal weight on either?

Also, once you complete the course (I'd do it locally at NOVA), do you then have to take a national test (NREMT or VA EMT)?

THANKS for your input!!

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by tucker9
    What's the main difference in ALS between EMT-I and P (besides definition - intermed. vs. paramedic) with regards to training and what FX county looks for (on their personal history statement required for submission, they ask for NREMT-Paramedic or Intermediate cert#'s). Will one get you hired quicker than the other? Or do they place equal weight on either?
    As far as Fairfax County is concerned, there is no difference bewtween an I and a P. The OMD would like to transition all ALS personnel to P, but right now, there is no difference in the hiring standard.

Also, once you complete the course (I'd do it locally at NOVA), do you then have to take a national test (NREMT or VA EMT)?
    Yes. Do yourself a favor and if given the option, ALWAYS take the National Registry.

Forum Member

Question

Kobersteen...
    Earliest I could complete the ALS coursework and take the test to PASS (that's a confident all cap there) would be May '07 at NOVA.

Assuming that I make it thru the recruit/application process (about a 9 month timeline), that puts me in September '06 to complete and hopefully be put on the "list".

With all that in mind, there's a recruit class starting on May 28th '07. Would the fact that I'm enrolled at NOVA and will take the final EMT-I test in May for the National exam push my chances to make that May 28th class in your opinion? (assuming they like me after all the testing this year!)

Rabble rouser

about a 9 month timeline), that puts me in September '06 to complete and hopefully be put on the "list".
    Nine months is fairly quick without ALS cert in hand.

With all that in mind, there's a recruit class starting on May 28th '07. Would the fact that I'm enrolled at NOVA and will take the final EMT-I test in May for the National exam push my chances to make that May 28th class in your opinion? (assuming they like me after all the testing this year!)
    First, let me say that I know you are quite anxious to start. With that said, just go through the process and the timing will work itself out. I would be very surprised if you began rookie class as a Fire Medic without NR card in hand.

The department has surprised me before, but...

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Kobersteen]Nine months is fairly quick without ALS cert in hand.

From what I've been told that's about average from application time to the time they "put you on the list". What have you experienced or heard?

Rabble rouser

From what I've been told that's about average from application time to the time they "put you on the list". What have you experienced or heard?
    I guess that may be the case since they are doing so many rookie schools now. <shrug>

Thread Information