Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default We All Know The Darwin Award, But Did You Know...

About the STELLA AWARD?

Annual Stella Awards

Time once again to review the winners of the Annual "Stella Awards."The Stella Awards are named after 81 year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's (in NM). That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous,ridiculous, successful lawsuits in the United States.

Here are this year's winners:

5th Place (tie): Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $80,000. by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

5th Place (tie): 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000. and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

5th Place (tie): Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of $500,000. This is so outrageous that it should have been 2nd Place!

4th Place: Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500. and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who had climbed over the fence into the yard and was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd Place: A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500. after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

2nd Place: Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms.Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000. and dental expenses.

1st Place: This year's runaway winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mrs. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, (from an OU football game), having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back & make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mrs.Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising her in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded her $1,750,000. plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons around.

I recall hearing about the guy caught in the garage story, and have heard a variation of the motor home incident, although that one concerned a Newfoundlander, more than 20 yrs ago (as I first heard it when I was a teenager). Of course I am sure that that Snopes Investigators will have a thing or two to say on these...
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

What's this world coming to?
    Last edited by FrFtr28; 06-19-2009 at 04:04 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Actually it ocurred to me while walking down the street to get lunch: there was a fellow walking ahead of me who was smoking. I wondered: Could I sue him for creating a potential personal health hazard due to second hand smoke?

(I would not ever persue this, but just kinda wondered how long it will take before someone else tries to.)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

I have seen this one about the motorhome several times. I will check with Snopes.com on its veracity. I will post back when I find results.

Unfortunatly I beleive that this could happen.

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

Ok , just check with snopes and it is Legend status.

Snopes.com

Legend: Driver sets the cruise control on his vehicle, then slips into the backseat for a nap.

MembersZone Subscriber

While I'm sure there is real abuse of the legal system, these often mentioned Stalla Awards are urban legand. Break the Chain is another good resource (besides Snopes) to research any story about what horrible fate happened to a friend of a friends, hairdressers, cousins, next door neighbor or the latest e-mail warning of some tagedy awaiting you.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

I was all set to be really ****ed off at several of these until the motor home story showed up.

Long live Snopes.com!!!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

wasnt this last years list. i swear i saw this same list last year.

just wondering.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by ftfdverbenec770
    wasnt this last years list. i swear i saw this same list last year.

just wondering.
    It does appear to be the same list year after year

I just got the false Robin Williams Peace Plan email this morning, yet again .... it too re-appears every once in awhile, just like all the other scams/hoaxes out there
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

that is some funny *** **** right there
    "Let no man's ghost come back to say my training let me down."

You know, I always here people getting upset at story's like this. "Damn lawyers this" and "damn lawyers that". But think about. All these involve a jury. We only have ourselves to blame. The only ones who can put a stop to this insanity is us, the juries.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information