Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Just when you think you've heard it all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police: Man paid off mom, assaulted daughter

By Hal Dardick
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published January 12, 2006, 5:09 PM CST

Authorities today arrested and charged a 32-year-old Wilmington woman with accepting $10,000 from a convicted sex offender so she would not turn him in for repeatedly sexually assaulting her disabled daughter.

The unmarried mother of the 14-year-old girl is accused of taking the money from Lawrence Southwood, a 68-year-old man who pleaded not guilty today in Will County Circuit Court to multiple counts of sexual abuse for the alleged attacks against the girl.

The woman turned herself in to authorities late this afternoon. She was being held in lieu of $250,000 bond.

The daughter has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, officials said. She and two siblings are now in the care of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.

"I've never encountered allegations of the magnitude we are going to talk about today," Will County State's Atty. James Glasgow said at the beginning of an afternoon news conference.

The woman has been charged with criminal neglect of a disabled person for having failed to remove her daughter from the care of Southwood, who the mother knew to be a convicted sex offender, Glasgow said.

Additionally, the mother was charged with obstructing justice for allegedly falsely telling a police investigator she did not know about the assaults after she accepted the $10,000 from Southwood, the prosecutor said.

She also was charged with concealing a fugitive when she did not report the assaults after accepting the $10,000, Glasgow said. He would not say how investigators learned of the payments. All $10,000 has been recovered.

Southwood, of the 30500 block of Readman Road in unincorporated Wilmington Township, was arrested Dec. 25 and has been held in Will County Jail in lieu of $2 million bond.

The defendant appeared in court earlier today. Standing 6 foot 7 and weighing 200 pounds, he wore glasses and a blue jail uniform and said nothing as his defense attorney, George Lenard, entered the not guilty plea on his behalf.

Southwood was indicted Wednesday on three counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault and two counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, accused of repeatedly sexually molesting the disabled girl in her home between Aug. 1 and Dec. 20. Authorities said an informant tipped them to the attacks.

The defendant has a criminal record going back to 1961, including convictions in Illinois for attempted murder, rape and incest, officials said. Southwood has two grown children resulting from sexual relations with a close relative, officials said.

He was not registered as a sexual offender because his last conviction for a sex offense, in 1992, predated the law requiring registration
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Forum Member

[SIZE=4]What a sick B*!@h!!! There are so many parents who should never have been parents. When a person plays, the kids shouldn't have to pay![/ SIZE]

Angry

That is just SICK!!!!!!!!

If some waste of skin, POS ******* was trying to diddle my girls I certainly wouldn't be taking money from him. I'd be doling out my own form of justice. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to be parents. Sick bitch, I hope she gets put in prison and the population knows her crime; she'll deserve everything she gets.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The number one lesson I learned in my law enforcement career was that you have NEVER seen everything.

That's just one more reason I could NEVER be a cop!

It would be amazing just how many of the people I would arrest that would have to be "subdued" for resisting! If you get my drift.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

This case was bad enough when it first came to light. Incest (fathering your grandkids) is bad enough. Raping a child with cerebal palsy is horrible. Now you add this "mother" into the mix. This "man" also lives three doors down from the grandmother of a child who was taken from her home in the middle of the night, raped and murdered a couple years ago. There has been no evidence linking this guy ... But according to the news he is getting a hard look in this case and other crimes. He should be tried and if found guilty, I think he should be executed. Here is what this monster looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 01-12-2006 at 11:55 PM.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

A monster ...... yes; but the mother is bigger monster in my mind for allowing him easy access to her handicapped, defenseless daughter and taking money for it. They should both be punished to the full extent of the law. The death penalty is too lenient for people like this. It's cases such as this that make me wish barbaric torture was an option.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Crazy. You need a license in the country to cut hair, but not to have children.

MembersZone Subscriber tyler101's Avatar

Does this man just go up to anonymous people on the street and ask them if they have a disabled daughter and if they do if he can pay them to play with them? WTF

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Decapitation starting at the right foot, little toe and working upwards............(the Executioner was very new at his job).
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    Crazy. You need a license in the country to cut hair, but not to have children.
    Good one BOU!!

Both of them need to fry. Raping a handicaped child has to be about as low as you can go. They need to tie this man down and beat him over and over for years to come. The mother, or should I say, the woman who birthed the kid, needs to hang just as much if not more then the old man. Stories like this just make me sick.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Default More tragedy

On the news today they interviewed Southwoods daughter. She was fathered by Southwood and his SISTER. Southwood then ended up fathering children with the daughter , thus making his daughter his daughter and his niece. The little kids are his children, grandchildren and his grand niece nephew. The news also said they are awaiting DNA results in the kidnapping and murder of 3 year-old Riley Fox. Riley's father was jailed for the crime, but was released because of DNA evidence. What a screwed up situation.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Man...... I don't even know what to say.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Dittoes.Just remember,if you gave a royal butt whomping to everyone that you met on the job that so richly desrved it,your arms would be sore by the end of your shift.
    I used to work for a taxi cab company driving mentally and physically handcapped folks to workshops,and around town to doctors,shopping,whatever they wanted to do.
    One time a driver got arrested for"allegedy"molesting two of his "07s"as we designated walking mentally handicapped people for the paperwork.To make things even more interesting,he was a convicted sex offender who had not registered with the Commonwealth of Kentucky when he moved into the state.
    He swore up and down during his trial that he didn't do anything but I figured from the two ladies' reactions at their workshop everytime I'd walk in(because I shave my head to and am somewhat muscular they'd think I was him)that there had to be something to their claims.
    It really rashed me that people wouldn't trust ME because of what someone else had done.
    I'd be dead before I let anything happened to my passengers.period.
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    That's just one more reason I could NEVER be a cop!

It would be amazing just how many of the people I would arrest that would have to be "subdued" for resisting! If you get my drift.

Kevin

Forum Member

You forgot the crosshairs or iron sights imposed over his face.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Here is what this monster looks like.

MembersZone Subscriber tyler101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    You forgot the crosshairs or iron sights imposed over his face.

Like so...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default A bleeding heart liberal

will try and say he was abused as a child. He'll get off AGAIN! And be let go. I say back to vigalante justice on some things..
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber batchief99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Decapitation starting at the right foot, little toe and working upwards............(the Executioner was very new at his job).
    Naw he just gets paid piece rate.

Forum Member

can we use this guy to test some new ammo i am useing

Thread Information