Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FF Certification Transfer

Does anyone know if a firefighter is able to transfer a IFSTA FF1 Certification to a different state for employment or do you have to go through a FF class again to recertify for that certain state. For example, I'm certified FF 1 in Alaska, but if I'm moving to Florida and want to find employment at another department there, does my AK cert transfer or do I have to start over with Florida's cert? Please help me out. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Moose, I am glad to help you. I moved to Alaska from Florida several years ago, and I have just moved back to Florida from Alaska. This topic has been covered in here many times but here is the long and short of it.

You are going to have to go to the Fire Academy in FLorida.

As a FF I instructor in Alaska, that course in no way compares to the requirements of Florida. You need to be FF I and II to get a job in Florida. FF I's can volunteer but need FF II to be paid. Florida is extremely particular about their academies. I was a FF I and II from SC before moving to FL and I had to redo the entire academy depsite having many years experience as a paid FF/Medic.

You also are generally required to be an EMT as well and I did not see you mention that. To transfer your EMT to FL, you also need National Registry. An AK EMT cert will not transfer.

Keep in mind, FF/EMTs are a dime a dozen in FL, but there are plenty of opportunities if you are persistent.

If you want any further information, feel free to send me a message. I will answer any questions or see if I can put you in touch with local resources depending on what area you are moving to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info AKflightmedic... I do have a AK EMT-B cert, but not nationally registered. I should get registered some time soon. But I was thinking of going to paramedic school sometime within the year at a florida college, I don't know which one. If you have any ideas of a good school around Sarasota area let me know. If you know any good schools or have any resources near sarasota about getting into a fire dept, or/and a paramedic school that would help me so much. I'm planning to move there in the fall of August, so it's good to prepare early. Thanks for all help! Hope to hear from you soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

First, not knowing what your situation is or even your age, you have several options on how to go about this. If you plan on becoming a paramedic, I strongly encourage you to get that schooling done first. Here is the logic.

When you move to FL, you are out of a job until one of two things happen, which are you go through fire school or you go through medic school.

Most of the fire academies have a 1 year waiting list minimum, and if you wait till you move there to apply, which may be necessary because they do require interviews and physicals prior to acceptance, you are looking at early '07 before getting in. Then, once you have completed the fire academy, you are now 1 of the many FF/EMT's looking for a job.

On the flip side, if you go to medic school, which is relatively easy to get in if you go the one of the private schools, after completion, you are one of the few unemplyed medics that the FDs are seeking. You just made yourself very marketable. Many of the departments need medics so bad, they will hire you and then send you to the fire academy on their dime. Not a bad deal.

Either way, you are looking at early '07 before you get a job, so please prepare adequately with finances, schooling, etc.

Other options to consider is start volunteering wherever you go. Some departments offer FF I standards to their vollies, and then you would only have to go to academy for FF II. Its one way to save money. But if you have the time and money, I recommend the entire program start to finish at the academy.

It pays to do your homework before moving into any particular area. Make a plan and then execute it. Otherwise, you will be an unemployed wannabe, bitching about the FL system. If you want further assistance, you can PM me privately about some of your situation and I will do what I can. As a side note, where are you in Alaska?

Take care...

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey AKflightmedic,
    I was wondering if you have an email I can contact you at. I have many questions regarding transfering certs from AK to FL, and which medic schools to go to... I just need more advice from you since you've experienced transfering from both states. Thanks for your assistance.

Thread Information