former FH.com member

Default Things aren't all bad here in San Antonio

Since everyone has borne witness to our current SCBA debacle I thought I'd share some "good news". -46

New Trucks for SAFD Mean Better Safety For San Antonio
    LAST UPDATE: 1/13/2006 9:15:58 PM
    Posted By: Lauren Jenkins
    This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

Out with the old and in with the new. The San Antonio Fire Department is getting 32 new trucks to replace trucks that are now out of date.

The department unveiled five new ladder trucks and two new pump trucks on Friday. The trucks are part of a $6.6 billion upgrade which includes 11 new ladder trucks and 21 new pump trucks. Fire Chief Robert Ojeda tells News 4 WOAI it was less expensive to replace the trucks than it would have been to try to repair the water and rust damage to the older trucks. The City Council approved the purchase which is also a major investment into the security of San Antonio.

“It allows the city to equip its firefighters with state of the art technology, enhanced safety and effectiveness that they deserve as they put their lives on the line to protect the citizens of San Antonio,” says Chief Ojeda.

The Chief also says all the new trucks will be red, because that’s the image everyone grew up with; he says the switch to yellow trucks was because there had been some concern about people being able to see the fire trucks, but with the lights and sirens that is not an issue.

The department will be getting five more ladder trucks by the end of January and 19 more pump trucks by the end of this fiscal year.

PICTURES HERE: http://www.sanantoniofire.org/news/p...ers_2.htm#matt

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

It's a beautiful thing. GREAT pics.

Congrats on your new "deliveries". Cigars for everyone ????

Forum Member

he says the switch to yellow trucks was because there had been some concern about people being able to see the fire trucks, but with the lights and sirens that is not an issue.
    HAHAHA, yeah.....right. We all know this is true.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pierce

Forum Member

Does this mean the Ferrara's are gone? Say it isn't so...

Forum Member

Are you getting one of the new units? Guess that you could have been getting one of Bou's American La Chance instead of a Pierce
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe some VOLYs can "up grade" with the old out of date trucks, even if they are they are panted wrong
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

MembersZone Subscriber

Wooops sent twice
    Last edited by 5pts384; 01-15-2006 at 10:19 AM. Reason: sent in twice
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Just need to get some Draegar BA and your all good to go!!
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

We at 33's got one of the new trucks (T-33 in the pics). Very nice trucks. Our trucks were ordered to have the air intake on the side of the cab vs. under the front bumper where they normally are. This was done due to the use of our ladders durring high water rescues etc. The truck should be good for water crossings up to the fram rails. It's about time these truck monkeys got something nice. LOL
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I didn't realize how much snow they got in San Antonio. This has been a really weird winter so far.

Forum Member

Detroit went to Pierce in 2000 and the department is now planning on a standard Pierce fleet. Just about all the apparatus were replaced before I retired. I think you'll be pleased with them. In the 5 years I rode Pierce apparatus I never saw a major problem with them and Pierce was excellent at taking care of any warranty (5 years) problems of which there were very few.

former FH.com member

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20
    I didn't realize how much snow they got in San Antonio. This has been a really weird winter so far.
    ROFLMAO! Nah, those pictures were taken at the Pierce plant in Wisconsin during testing. If I wanted weather like that I would've stayed in Boston.

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 33motor
    It's about time these truck monkeys got something nice. LOL
    As quoted by another member of our dept. "PUMPIES DROOL, TRUCKIES RULE"

Forum Member

Sweeeeeeeet!! Nice looking rigs.

Q6cap

Forum Member

Pump trucks ? they changin' the name from motors too /> ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Nah, just a typical reporter flub. I do think the idea here is to get guys to start calling motors, engines.. but the attempt seems half-hearted at best. I noticed that for a while they would call "Engine 33" vs. "33" .. or "33 motor", when a run came in. It still happens, but even the dispatchers are used to it (motor). I'm only going on a hunch, but I have an idea that someone down in the Chiefs office wants it to switch over. I don't see why.. it's just part of this Dept., it's part of it's history. It hurts nothing, so why change it? I thought "motor" was weird when I started here from another Dept.. but now it's just common .. as common as engine, or pumper, is to anyone else. Hell, I like it.

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

Forum Member

Hope all is well for you guys in San Antonio. So what is going to happen with the SCBAs? Also congrats on your new Pierce deliveries

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAFD46Truck
    Since everyone has borne witness to our current SCBA debacle I thought I'd share some "good news". -46

New Trucks for SAFD Mean Better Safety For San Antonio
    LAST UPDATE: 1/13/2006 9:15:58 PM
    Posted By: Lauren Jenkins
    This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

Out with the old and in with the new. The San Antonio Fire Department is getting 32 new trucks to replace trucks that are now out of date.

The department unveiled five new ladder trucks and two new pump trucks on Friday. The trucks are part of a $6.6 billion upgrade which includes 11 new ladder trucks and 21 new pump trucks. Fire Chief Robert Ojeda tells News 4 WOAI it was less expensive to replace the trucks than it would have been to try to repair the water and rust damage to the older trucks. The City Council approved the purchase which is also a major investment into the security of San Antonio.

“It allows the city to equip its firefighters with state of the art technology, enhanced safety and effectiveness that they deserve as they put their lives on the line to protect the citizens of San Antonio,” says Chief Ojeda.

The Chief also says all the new trucks will be red, because that’s the image everyone grew up with; he says the switch to yellow trucks was because there had been some concern about people being able to see the fire trucks, but with the lights and sirens that is not an issue.

The department will be getting five more ladder trucks by the end of January and 19 more pump trucks by the end of this fiscal year.

PICTURES HERE: http://www.sanantoniofire.org/news/p...ers_2.htm#matt
    great looking rigs you have .. i do like brush 40s bumper nice work wildland unit

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking Good!!!

I do have a question.......Your engine companies do not go with the ambulances? You have first responder vehicles (vans) that do that? How are these vehicles staffed? Are there extra staffing for the first responder vehicles?

Just curious.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

former FH.com member

It's pretty simple actually Dickey. Any apparatus can first respond for our EMS units. At double companies (engine/ladder housed together) one guy off the engine and one off the truck also man the squad (van). If both apparatus are in house when a medical run comes in then the squad goes to first respond. That keeps the engine/truck available for other calls.
    If a fire comes in while the squad is out they just hook up with the other units on scene when they finish thier run.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

46 Truck: 21 Engines and 11 Trucks, rough guess 15 million, how did you
    get to 6.6 billion?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Nice rigs! Glad to see they went back to RED
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

We have single companies (just a motor), and double companies (a truck and a motor). Double companies generally have a squad which is staffed by a member of the motor company and a member of the truck company. Squads are supposed to save life of the larger apparatus and keep those apparatus in service during EMS responses ie. assist EMS, assist the public. Squads are neither liked nor disliked they are simply accepted in the department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gfpdwh
    46 Truck: 21 Engines and 11 Trucks, rough guess 15 million, how did you
    get to 6.6 billion?
    The article said "part of a 6.6 billion" .. not the entire purchace. I'm sure that new stations along with staffing, and replacement of other stations, extra EMS untis along with staffing etc, are all counted in on that total.

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

Thread Information