Thread: deck guns

MembersZone Subscriber

Default deck guns

Does anyone know any advantages of putting a deck gun on the cab of a pumper over putting on the pump area(ie. mid-mount pump)? I've noticed most FDNY engines I've seen have the deck gun on the cab. all answers will be appreciated.

Keepin it real

I think what your seeing is a portable deluge set mounted on the roof of the cab on some of the older engine companies, most of the newer Seagrave engines shown in pictures have a fixed deluge set mounted on the pump module at the front or the rear of said module (front mount makes it look like the deluge set is on the cab).
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

Wouldent putting a deck Gun on top of the cab make it hard to tilt the cab to access the engine?

I see TFT has a remote control deck gun that also rises 18". Which would be great if you had a raised roof cab.

Which do you prefer, Smooth bore or Fog nozzle?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default reply

I understand what you are saying about the portable deck gun on the cab, but it looks like a permanent mount on top. For reference see: www.fdnytrucks.com/files/files/manhattan/e67.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

and also, I'd prefer an sb nozzle on the the deck gun for better reach and penetration. To me, with a fog nozzle, it feels like using a garden hose with a spray nozzle to put out a house fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

It wouldn't be practicle to mount the deck gun on the roof of the cab. The plumbing would have to be run through the cab which would affect your headroom or the plumbing would be surfaced mounted on the roof. Either of these options would prohibit you from raising the cab for service. I think what you are seeing is the deck gun mounted on the very front end of the body directly behind the cab. As far which nozzle SM vs. Fog. It depends on you situation. We have a stacked tip smooth bore on the deck guns of both of our pumper but also keep a black widow in the pump cabinet. A fog nozzle works good for a defensive operation and can flow a lot of water. If you have the right fog nozzle, you can flow more water than you will out of a 7/8" or 1" smooth bore. You just might not have the reach or penetration as was stated.

Forum Member

i dont think they are acutally mounted on the roof........but doesn't fdny use fixed cabs?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    Wouldent putting a deck Gun on top of the cab make it hard to tilt the cab to access the engine?
    First we don't have tilt cabs.

Second I'm not sure what the original poster is refering to. Our Stang piping comes right up from the pump behind the cab. Probably by about 1 1/2 feet.

Formerly we used to have a portable monitor mounted above the cab that wasn't fed directly from the pump, but those have been replaced.

Our Deck guns are the same as everyone elses...we use smoothbores on them and there is nothing special about them that I'm aware of.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 01-14-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Forum Member

Arrow Can someone tell me...

I'll take by the lack of response I had my question in the worng thread. Duly noted! I've moved it.

Nice photos of 61!
    Last edited by Eno821; 01-17-2006 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Moved its own thread elsewhere.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Forum Member

PeteySt1 what you are seeing on the roof of the FDNY pumpers is the multiversal or portable monitor. It looks like its permanent but it is portable

http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/bronx/e61.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hp1530
    PeteySt1 what you are seeing on the roof of the FDNY pumpers is the multiversal or portable monitor. It looks like its permanent but it is portable

http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/bronx/e61.htm

Good eye hp1530, How many pictures did you have to go through to find that one!??!

Apparently Sq61 decided to mount their portable stang up top out of the way. I know my Engine places it in a compartment as most companies do. It isn't used that much for them so they decided to mount it out of the way. You can see in the picture there is a regular deluge gun above the pump pannel.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

To all who answered:
    Thank you for clearing this up for me. One more question about it though, how do the portable monitors stay up there when the rig is in motion?
    Finally, there is one more thing I don't understand. What are those things on some of LA city and LA county rigs' deck gun's? To me, they look like handles, but I'm probably wrong. For reference check www.lafirephotos.com or www.emergencyrigs.net
    Thanks,
    Petey

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PeteySt1
    To all who answered:
    Thank you for clearing this up for me. One more question about it though, how do the portable monitors stay up there when the rig is in motion?

Gravity!

Just kidding. I imagine they are strapped down just as everything else on the outside of the rig is.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

yankee750,

You don't really have a 7/8" or 1" tip on your wagon pipe, do you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeteySt1
    To all who answered:
    Finally, there is one more thing I don't understand. What are those things on some of LA city and LA county rigs' deck gun's? To me, they look like handles, but I'm probably wrong. For reference check www.lafirephotos.com or www.emergencyrigs.net
    Thanks,
    Petey
    That's exactly what they are, handles. It's so that you can spin the nozzle from the straight stream to a fog.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nozzle

Check out the Akron Saber Jet nozzle, it is both a fog and a smooth bore. We use smooth bore on all our attack lines except the front jumpline. I like that you dont have to worry about steam burn from the genius on the pipe and they deliver a ton of water in a short amount of time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Res343cue:
    How exactly does that operation work?

Forum Member

PeteySt1 you might be seeing the Stang monitor
    For Reference
    http://stangindustrial.com/images/deckmonitor.jpg

Are those the ears you are speaking of?

FFRed, ive noticed that pic of Sq61 for a long time and also i email back and forth with some people from the NY area

That nozzle is what the LAFD uses if they need a spray nozzle for the deck gun
    http://lafirephotos.com/lafdapparatu...ion2/60407.jpg

Normally this straight tip would be mounted
    http://lafirephotos.com/lafdapparatu.../60416copy.jpg

Or some Stacked tips
    http://lafirephotos.com/lafdapparatu...on15/60453.jpg
    Last edited by hp1530; 01-17-2006 at 03:44 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by oldman21220
    yankee750,

You don't really have a 7/8" or 1" tip on your wagon pipe, do you?
    Unfortunately yes. It is a stacked tip though. The last tip is I believe 1". It comes in handy if have a long reach or want some good penetration. If I am up there and there is heavy fire, I will bring it down to the bottom tip which is 2 1/4" I believe (going by memory here). The problem we have is that some people don't realize that you are not going to get max flow out of the small tip. So they keep increasing the pump pressure and you lose half of the little water you have in stream "peel away". In reality, if it gets used twice a year it is alot though. I would rather call for a quint from a neighboring dept.

Forum Member

the stacked tips on our Truck has a 2" tip as the SMALLEST one.

MembersZone Subscriber

A 1" tip is from a set of handline stacked tips. Deck gun tips are larger, typically something like 1 3/8", 1.5", 1.75" and 2" at the base. There have been some fire journal articles about cities like Chicago using a small tip and throwing a stream way up on a high rise to make a knock on the fire while the troops are going up the stairs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Deck Guns

I stumbled on to this Golden Oldie this morning and thought I would add my two sense. Putting the monitor on the cab is definitely the way to go. Kennett Square, PA has twin Rescue/Pumpers built by Rosenbauer and equipped with their NH-40 1,000GPM pump which is rear mounted and supplied by a 1,000 gallon water tank plus A and B foam. The trucks are set up to pump and roll and can push 400GPM through the TFT Toranado wireless control monitors. If you need something a little bigger there is also a 2,000GPM TFT Monsoon elevating Master Stream, also wireless controled, mounted in a compartment at the top rear corner which can be fed by the NH- 40 or hooked up through a seperate 6 inch intake to an alternate supply and be totally isolated from the NH-40 operation. The cab is a tilt cab and the monitor is supplied by a pipe which follows the top profile of the roof on the OUTSIDE of the cab. A Stortz connection is provided at the rear of the roof to tilt the cab and the cab control is set-up so the operator must first unhook the Stortz connection. Side by side the trucks can move an 80' wide wall of foam or water considerably lowering the risk of initial attack on a large incident. A front mounted Safety Vision camera (one of 5 on the truck) displays what is going on up front on a command console in the rear of the cab. The monitor is usually operated by someone standing in the rear of the cab looking out the window of the raised roof or if need be while viewing the video monitor.

You can see these trucks by going to aol public galleries and putting in the tag squaretown-bmf's

Forum Member

The main reason was to put the thing out of the way. Not to have it mounted over the hose bed like they were with the open cabs pumpers. Plus having it mounted on the cab, gave about 9 ft more elevation to the monitor when using it from there, therefore making the stream go up another floor and still be a good fire stream.

There were brackets that were fixed mounted to the cab and of course reinforced from the underside. The portable monitor was then set on the mounting fixture and was fasten down by metal straps, and or large type nuts going to fixed mounted large type of threaded screw rods.

The newer type monitors, Akronís, were lighter in weight and using several members could be taken down and carried any where on the fire ground. They were able to carry it by oneself. The other type that a lot of departments used was an Eastman monitor which was larger and heavier than the Akronís. It took a good crew of 4 to take this thing down and about that many members to carry this back breaker down the street to set it up in the portable mode. I did see at a major fire, one member carrying one of these on his shoulder down the street. It was a very good monitor by the way, just heavy as hell!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Two style of Pumpers using the two types of monitors.

The Eastman on the top photo and the Akron on the bottom photo.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 09-11-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

How's this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information