Forum Member

Default New line officers & how do we deal with it?

Every year most fire departments deal with the fact that new line officers are put into a possision that may or may not be good for the moral of the firefighters, but would be good for the department.
    Question is how do we deal with it? There is no doubt talk and debate will be flying around the house and its usualy not in front of the one that my be your next officer. don't hid from it! if there is an issue with someone be profesional and deal with it. As hard as that my sound it works.
    At our fire department we just had our township trustee take over, what a trip, and I herd that this is what is happening throughout the volinter/payed departments. We also have a new payed chief that was hired by the trustee that came from another state. Has anyone gone threw this??

Thanks and be safe out there!!!

Forum Member

Why would new officers be bad for morale? As long as they are promoted according to the collective agreement I cannot see a problem. You are getting new officers plus people are moving up the promotional roster and your dept will be hiring new personnel, which means new rookies.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

there is no rhyme or reason for promotion on our department it is entirely up to the chief.the young guys want a merit system and the middle guys want a seniority system.

Forum Member

Here's a real morale boost from one of our new officer's "I don't have a whole lot of time in and I have a wife and kids to take care of - so if it there is a problem I have to side with the administration".

Rabble rouser

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RescueTrash
    "...so if it there is a problem I have to side with the administration".
    Well, as management, that is an officers prerogative...

As a line firefighter, my prerogative is to be a part of my labor organization so I can have the support to fight when I believe that administration is overstepping their bounds or just flat wrong.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    Well, as management, that is an officers prerogative...

As a line firefighter, my prerogative is to be a part of my labor organization so I can have the support to fight when I believe that administration is overstepping their bounds or just flat wrong.

You are correct, that is his choice.

At one time when most of the officers were much more experienced the crews had a captain that was willing to disagree with a batallion/deputy chief when he thought his crews actions were appropriate. With many of our newer captains they will support the administration to save their own skin at the expense of their crew.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by newbomb
    there is no rhyme or reason for promotion on our department it is entirely up to the chief.the young guys want a merit system and the middle guys want a seniority system.
    The problem with the former system is quite often "merit" equals sucking up to the Chief

Forum Member

In our job everyone below the rank of superintendant are still members of the union, also most Lts have at least 20 years in, Captains closer to 30

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke20286
    In our job everyone below the rank of superintendant are still members of the union, also most Lts have at least 20 years in, Captains closer to 30
    Pardon my ignorance, but how long do most Captains last if they already have 30 years in. That would put them at roughly an age of 50-60. Do they last more than say 5 years in a position?

From what it sounds like, you're consistantly every 2-5 years getting a new Lou and Cap.

Thread Information