MembersZone Subscriber

Default What can I do to better my chances . . . ?

Im on the path to becoming a firefighter with emt-b classes done and fire school on the way I need to better my chances of getting hired. Because of my shady driving record and my rocky past I know the odds are strongly against me. Also light to moderate drug use before I was 21, but I have straightened my life out completely absolutly no vices. I am still only 21, but have much schooling to go a couple of years maybe. I know thats not enough even though people do make mistakes, so I have been thinking lately on enrolling in the military full time - 4 year service as a firefighter to show and represent how determined I am to become a firefighter also by then have advanced to a paramedic.

With that said what do you guys think about my plain ? Is it good enough, or what should i do in addition to help me be better prepaired for the hiring process ? Thank you.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Stay on that driving path

Well it sound like you had a merical happen for you and sence you were givin a gift don't at any time give it up. You already gave yourself the answer!

Always tell the truth when it comes to the interviews!! This is what most Fire Comp. are looking for.

One good thing that might help you out is that if you have a local volinter dept. in your area, get involved with them. If you get on, most of the fire dept. will pay for your classes!!

GOOD LUCK and be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemanbob37
    Well it sound like you had a merical happen for you and sence you were givin a gift don't at any time give it up. You already gave yourself the answer!

Always tell the truth when it comes to the interviews!! This is what most Fire Comp. are looking for.

One good thing that might help you out is that if you have a local volinter dept. in your area, get involved with them. If you get on, most of the fire dept. will pay for your classes!!

GOOD LUCK and be safe
    Thank you for your reply at least someone did, 30 people viewed and nobody replied, i left the same post in the military forum and 20 people viewed and no replies. So do you think the military ( marine ) firefighter experience would help my chances ?

Forum Member

Talking Aaateeentioonn

The answer to your question is YES. It sounds like you mite have had a rough life as a teen. AM I correct? But that is in the past and you NEED the future!
    I bet if you ask you will find that a high persentage of emergence personal did do some type of ellegle drug, or at lest tryed it at one time in there life.

I know of two people that are doing the same thing that you are thining of dong and they don't regret it one bit!! GO FOR IT! and good luck.
    Keep in tuch I would like to know what U R doing and where your at on this.

Watch out for your "brothers" and be safe.

Forum Member

If you want to serve your country, then by all means enlist. Will it help you become a FF, probably since most departments give veterans preference points. That being said, given the current state of the world enlisting and getting shot at just to maybe get a ff job in the future sounds nuts. As far as your past is concerned many people have experimented with drugs for instance the current and last president of the United States. The key is to realize the errors of your youth, mature, and don't repeat them. Also never lie about it in interviews or polygraphs. It is much easier to just tell the truth. If you happened to rack up a felony conviction or a DUI your chances of getting on anywhere are pretty slim unless you look into having them expunged from your record.

MembersZone Subscriber

Enlisting in the military is a noble thing to do. Will it help you become a firefighter? Yes, absolutely, however it will also put distance between you and your troubled past.

I want to commend you on straightening up your life. Many people do not get back on the straight and narrow after they stray. You have done it. Being a firefighter gives you a public trust that is second to none. It’s because of this that fire departments want to hire people who will not bring discredit to the badge.

While you have straightened up your life, the occupation to which you are applying is one that has a high degree of trust. Translated, a fire chief is going to want to see more than a few years of “clean living” before he takes a chance on someone with a checkered past.

Four years in the military, especially as a firefighter, greatly strengthens your profile. In addition, the life skills and maturity you will learn will also help you in life.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I can tell you from experience that having a past is not the end of the world and as long as you have changed your ways and you can convince the people who matter of this fact, then you do have as good a chance as anyone. I too have gone down the road of drugs and drinking and doing stupid things that young people do. Be it only smoking some marijuana in my much younger days, I was able to show that those times were way behind me and I was able to land a job as a law enforcement officer. So in short, be honset, stay straight and never stop trying and you'll get to where you wanna be in time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like you have a good plan. Speaking from experience been there and done that I got into a world of trouble for selling drugs when I was 17 went to a lockup facility for a bit which opened my eyes up. Just stay determined and you will be able to do it as someone stated before the past is the past bro. I had alot of people mainly family that downed me and said I would never change and that I should stay locked up but I let those people negatives become my positives to push me further.

Youve done your EMT and now your going to be taking fire classes. Bro that should be enough to some people to prove your point. Stay on the right path and keep your head up you will get hired I dont think you have to go into the service to help you if you dont want to but your definately doing the right thing.

Where are you located?

Good job in turning your life around!!

Thread Information