MembersZone Subscriber

Default Do you think this would be enough ?

Im on the path to becoming a firefighter with emt-b classes done and fire school on the way I need to better my chances of getting hired. Because of my shady driving record and my rocky past I know the odds are strongly against me. Also moderate drug use before I was 21, but I have straightened my life out completely absolutly no vices. I am still only 21, but have much schooling to go a couple of years maybe. I know thats not enough even though people do make mistakes, so I have been thinking lately on enrolling in the military full time - 4 year service as a firefighter to show and represent how determined I am to become a firefighter also by then have advanced to a paramedic.

With that said what do you guys think about my plain ? Is it good enough, or what should i do in addition to help me out ? Thank you.

Forum Member

I would suggest that you give the military a try. It will help you in so many arenas.........it will mold you into a man or lady, show show employers that you can commit, most if not all civil service jobs offer veterens pref, and it gives you education and home loan benefits.

Forum Member

A little advise for you. Try the Air Force because Army fire fighters often dont work as firefighters. But your plan sounds great. The paramedic part will not work with the air force. They don't train paramedics in the fire service.
    Good luck and hope your plans work.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Coolfire
    A little advise for you. Try the Air Force because Army fire fighters often dont work as firefighters. But your plan sounds great. The paramedic part will not work with the air force. They don't train paramedics in the fire service.
    Good luck and hope your plans work.
    ...although the Air Force does not have a training program to become a paramedic, if you are stationed at a stateside base sometimes the department will send you to a paramedic school locally, or you can even enroll yourself in a local community college and use your tuitions assistance. I had a good friend of mine at my last base who was sent to paramedic classes from a local volunteer department, and he coordinated it with his AF dept.

Forum Member

Ive seen guys do paramedic on ****f in the AF. They went straight to school in the morning and reported back to work later in the day. All depends where u are stationed

Thread Information