MembersZone Subscriber

Default Response to calls

We dont really have a two-tier system here, but the relationship between the FD and EMS in our county, at least in my opinion and on the eastern side of my county is a close one. There are 5 Volunteer Fire departments and EMS is run by the county system. Our one EMS station is repsonsible for the Eastern side of the county as is this one partocular fire department. I am on this Fire Department and repsond as a volunteer when I am not repsonding as a Paramedic with my county EMS unit. Gotta love the dispacth as the city dispatch does not often communicate with the county dispatch. City dispatches the FD and County dispatches EMS.
    Well I heard that the FD was running on a call for Carbon Monoxide at a home. I thought it was necessary for us to go. Being told at one time that EMS should go to any fire alarm, a CO alarm being similar in nature; I asked my partner, which I shouldnt have to if we could go on the call. I know being a FF I love wearing my bunker gear, its there for my protection and I certainly use it when necessary, But it is used for abnormal sotuations, so then why wouldnt an EMS unit go for something like a CO alarm. now I am getting told by my superiors, we dont need to roll on a alrms anymore, just when there is an actual situation - like a fire. So I dont know, It seems like nobody is really communicating. My Fire Chief indicate she would like an Ambulance hear. Some of my superiors would like us to run, but then others dont and then if I am lucky while working EMS, we can actually get the two dispatch systems to work. This is why I wonder if Fire/Rescue would be better because then I assume FR agencies roll an Engine and a Rescue together. I am just bewildered and hope that someone shows up when I am fighting a structure fire.

Forum Member

I believe that the FD responds to these calls with there CO detector. This way they could check it out for themselves. This to me would be an adequate call.

Whoever called 911 did so because the their home detector was going off not because someone was feeling ill. Most of the time these are false alarms and the FD checks things out to make sure there is no CO in their home and resets the detector. In my opinion, if someone were feeling ill, they would have asked for an ambulance. I cannot see for myself sending two units for a CO detector call. Just my humble opinion.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

We run a similar system in my county. EMS is a county operated system with professional staff, and most of the fd's in the county (a few combination, mostly volunteer) run a first-responder program and are dispatched simultaneously. Last year, per mutual agreement, they stopped sending EMS to fire alarm activations unless it is an actual fire or smoke condition. They do not go to CO alarms either. As stated above, most of the time we go for CO its the alarm only, not for the ill effects of CO. Certainly if the caller says someone is sick and the alarm is sounding then EMS goes without question. It works well for our area.

Forum Member

Dude ........you dont need to keep posting the same topic ...........see my response here !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    Dude ........you dont need to keep posting the same topic ...........see my response here !
    Weruj1,
    Why the rude comment???? I think that he is looking for a well rounded set of responses.
    Maybe he is eliciting a response from the fire side after posting to the EMS forum. I don't think that one should ever get "dumped on" for asking questions in this forum.

I am sorry if I come off being rude. That is not my intention. I myself have posted a couple of times that in retrospect seemed a little rude (I deeply apologize for this), but I don't set out to "set someone straight". I am just trying to help where I can and get help when I need it.

I guess this will be one of those posts that in retrospect may seem a little rude, but I just wanted to get it off my chest. Take care and stay safe!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

One must also consider the fact that any unit dispatched to a call, is a unit that is now unavailable to respond to another call. If a rescue is dispatched to a CO detector sounding, all occupants out of the building, nobody feeling ill, and another EMS call comes in with multiple patients for instance, that resource is not being very efficiently used.

There's a fine line between being too conservative and sacraficing care, and being too liberal and wasting valuable resources.

In our county, fire rolls alone to CO alarms if occupants have vacated the building and are not feeling ill. I assume it will continue to operate this way becuase it has worked well so far.
    St. Albans Town Fire Department
    Engine Co. No. 1

Thread Information