FIGJAM

Default Buncefield Refinery Fire- Stories and Photos

I hope I'm doubling up another thread here, but I got this link sent to me this mroning with some awesome photos from the recent Buncefiled Refinery Fire.

Check it out HERE

It is written by a civillian, not one of the responders or anyone directly invovled in the incident....
    Luke

Forum Member

Some awesome shots in there and the author has done a good job of describing what went on. The after effects of this fire are still being felt all over the UK. There were reports a feew weeks back that aviation fuel was being rationed at Heathrow and that Quantas flights were being extended by 90 mins as they were having to land at Stanstead to refuel after taking off from Heathrow in order to obtain sufficient quantities. Also, many of the businesses destroyed by this fire were in the financial support sector and many organisations (my Police Force is one of them), use them for processing salary payments. Although it did'nt happen to me, I have heard reports of some companies being unable to pay their staff as computer links via the telecom systems were severed.

Calls for a public inquiry have yet to be answered by the Govt. Although there great pressure to ensure that some reforms are made to the petroleum distribution network in the UK to ensure this cannot/does not occur again.

An interesting footnote; the latest issue of the Firefighter Magazine supplied to FBU members contains some quite negative comments about the Unions accusations that Hertsfordshire FRS was "woefully ill-equipped" to deal with an incident of this magnitude. One comment called them "naff". Interesting to see that I thought.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Thread Information