Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Applying for Brush truck in 06

Need any assistance with applying for a brush truck in 06. We are a rural fire department and it a priority one truck in 05.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by happychappy
    Need any assistance with applying for a brush truck in 06. We are a rural fire department and it a priority one truck in 05.
    any idea on what type of brush rig you want.. have you looked in to feep or surplus eqt.. ask me i will help in any way i can

Default Brief me!

I understand the grants are being awarded in categories. Do you apply for them in categories as well?
    Where can I find info. on the '06 procedures? I've looked everywhere, to no avail.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are 2 catergories that you can apply within based on being a fire department or a nonaffiliated EMS organization.

FD:

1) Operations and firefighter safety
    2) Firefighter vehicle acquisition program

Nonaffiliated EMS Organization:

1) EMS operations and safety program
    2) EMS vehicle acquisition program

You can only apply in only one catergory, so a decision has to be made whether operations or vehicle. Remember vehicles must be a Priority 1 to have any chance of being funded (still a long shot). Don't waste your time applying for a 2 or 3 it will not be funded.

The '06 PG is not out yet. If you read and review the '05 PG you will be in good shape when the '06 is released. There should not be many changes if any.

Forum Member

One thing they look at is grammar, spelling and accuracy. You might want to take a look at your post and start considering who you will use to proof your narrative.

Forum Member

Thumbs up You've come to the right place.

The 2006 AFG guidance document has not been released yet, however it will most likely be very similar to the 2005 guidance document - found here:

http://www.firegrantsupport.com/docs...FGguidance.pdf

The number one piece of advice that you will receive from successful grant writers is to become very familiar with the guidance document.

My next piece of advice to you is to make sure that a new brush truck is the number one priority for your department. In other words, do ALL of you firefighters have NFPA compliant PPE - Turnouts, SCBA, Wildland Gear, etc.? Is your communications system where it needs to be? Is your air supply system where it needs to be - cascade systems etc.? If all of that stuff is taken care of, then a brush truck may be a reasonable request. Remember, only 1 in 7 or 8 applications for apparatus get funded.

I could go on for days from here.

BC79er, aka: Brian Vickers, has a web site where he posts past AFG narratives. Below is a link to that web site and specifically to a successful narrative I wrote for a pumper for Phoenix, Oregon. Just remember, some of the narratives that are posted are good and some are not. Some were funded, others were not.

http://www.firegraphics.org/Grants/PhoenixOR2005.htm

Chris

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There are a couple of other brush truck narratives on there I believe as well. Brush trucks are a Priority 1 for Rural Depts but besides that you need to have a local risk for brush fires, both historical & potential. cough (assessment) cough

Shoot me an email if you have/need anything.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Consider that while your #1 priority of the moment is a brush truck that 1.) Your dept is only ever going to get ONE vehicle grant thru AFG. Now brush truck but next a pumper (expensive)? 2.) a Wildland/brush truck is a pretty easy vehicle in cost/effort vs a pumper/tanker. MANY ways to skin the brush truck project.

#1 being use the FEPP or GSA surplus program (as my dept did) thru your state forester. Get you chassis from DOD surplus and either build it yourself using a combo of DOD surplus and purchased components or install a skid unit. Perhaps/and logical use AFG for the pump/components or skid unit. This would be an equipment grant and you won't use up your vehicle eligibility. If you need allwheel drive there are MANY decent low mile 6x6 2.5t and 5t available from DOD surplus. Shorten/convert to a 4x4 if you like, if you must have automatic maybe put in for replacement transmission. DOD surplus also has some all wheel drive 4x4 and 6x6 civilian model chassis (as our IH 4x4). DOD also has many 1t 4x4 1986 style Chevy pickups (diesel auto) available. But unless you are TRUELY limited by terrain any pickup is a poor choice. A real truck with a DOD surplus 600gal tank easy.

Get the truck now and then your narrative will discuss how you are responsibly leveraging tax $ for maximum ROI by using this FREE chassis. But payback and will get a truck that will do 90+% of what you need. There are a few 1000 depts in the US using former DOD trucks for this. Based on demonstrated history that F350/K3500/etc will be dead/broken/junked in a few years and a real truck will still be going. And if big problem develops with it, go get another one from DOD.

See www.stanleyiowa.com for photos of our truck.

neiowa makes an excellent point in stating that you should seriously consider your "one shot" rule on AFG. Utilizing your "one truck" chance for a $50K truck is not a wise choice, if you know that within the next several years you are going to need a new engine or pumper/tanker at $150-200 K. If you were going to have to incurr debt service for a truck, I would rather be paying on a $50K loan than a $200K loan from within most of the meager budgets I see presented.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 01-20-2006 at 07:40 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Fortunately my department has done very well on saving money to buy pumpers. We currently have 3. E Ė one 2005, E-one 1997, E- one 1986 so we wonít qualify for a new pumper for years. Our other trucks are E Ė One 1997 heavy rescue, 1993 light rescue (GMC 6.5 diesel), 1980 tanker, 2000 utility truck and 2 boats. All of them are paid for. We just donít have any more money to buy a new brush truck.

Forum Member

Just some friendly advice; and I may be wrong but I would look into ALL the state parkland, county parks that you respond to, as well as any surrounding area(think mutual aid; benifit more then 1 agency).
    Touch on total acreage which can eaisly be found either via google or county office.

And a question for the 3 wise one's; in mid-state Illinois cornfield fires are a major issue, would this quailify if situation warranted?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You always want to elaborate on M/A benefits in your narrative, but sometimes people go overboard. If you describe more M/A benefits and have little or no risks in your own district, that says they need the project and not you, and no funding.

Cornfield, wheatfield, parks, any open space bigger than 1 sq mil that can cause a more major fire should be counted.

Forum Member

Out of a 30sq mile district we have about 10sq miles of farmland plus a 3000 sq state park.

We are keeping all options open at this time, but are leaning towards something like a ford 550. Would trying for a multi purpose truck get a better score? I was thinking along the lines of a brush truck / foam truck / supply truck? or should we stick with just a brush truck?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The more you can safely pile on to the vehicle and not make a ridiculous cost-benefit the better you'll be. So light rescue/brush, or just brush/quick attack with CAFS would probably be a decent argument to make considering the district composition.

MembersZone Subscriber

happychappy,

We recieved a grant this year for a brush truck. It was designed to be a multi purpose vehicle. Send me an e-mail. I will send you a copy of the narrative.

Forum Member

onebugle - I would like a copy of your brush truck narrative.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Bugle, if you want to save your Inbox from a full frontal assault (if it hasn't happened already), shoot it to me and I'll post it for you.

Forum Member

Onebugle,
    I can't send you email. You don't have your email post on your profile. please send it to me at chappy@charter.net

MembersZone Subscriber

pikehole25,

I need an e-mail address to send you a copy. Thanks.

Thread Information