Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Smile Help! Junior/Explorer In Need! I need all the advice i can get!

I'm a new junior and i need some advice on the firehouse terms and lingo etc. Please post some links or any information possible it will be greatly appricaited...

First of all, Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn anything and everything about firefighting.

The most important thing to remember is: Do Not Be Afraid To Ask Questions!!

If you want to learn about a specific topic, try the search button, it is very helpful. If that doesn't turn up the answer you were looking for, start a thread on it.

Here are some helpful threads about being new in explorers/juniors, they have a wealth of information in them.

Like I said before, if they don't answer a specific question, Do Not Hesitate To Ask!

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74950

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=76588

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=75055

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=75207

Also, as far as firehouse terminology, what would you like to know? That is a very broad statement. I'll think up a list and post later.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

hey thanks for the advice! as far as the terms go just pretty much anything you can think of...Expecially radio terms...but if you post a list i'll let you know which ones you can elaborate on...once again thanks for the advice and hope to talk to you later!

One thing to watch out for when learning the different terms is that the same piece of equipment may have several different names for it.

The same name may also be used for completely different pieces of equipment depending on where you are.

Radio Terms for around here:

Signal 2- Responding
    Code 3- Response with lights and sirens
    Code 2- Response with no lights or siren (with normal traffic)
    Code 1- Proceeding back to station
    200/201/202/203/204/205/206/208- Officer call sign

Sample radio traffic:

" 794 to Rossford Base Signal 2, 202, 206"

This means that Engine 794 is responding to the given call with officers 202 and 206.

Like it was said before, radio protocols are different everywhere.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I am also a junior and its great that you guys are willing to help. Thanks

Forum Member

pilot76knob- for radio terms, what is is that you want to know? I know most of the
    10-# (example:10-1 unable to copy) terms if thats what you want. just let me know. i have a list of 10-1 through 10-99. I ain't even a cadet yet, i have one more year to go before i get there.
    Jake

i should also say that these signals are used nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebty
    pilot76knob- for radio terms, what is is that you want to know? I know most of the
    10-# (example:10-1 unable to copy) terms if thats what you want. just let me know. i have a list of 10-1 through 10-99. I ain't even a cadet yet, i have one more year to go before i get there.
    Jake

i should also say that these signals are used nationwide.

What you more than likely have is the APCO standard list of 10 Codes; and no, they are not used nationwide. For instance, in New York, a 10-13 is to assist a police officer. However, the APCO standard 10-13 is to "Report Conditions". So you see, it doesnt matter what list you have, what "code this- code that" you have, or what signal you have, everywhere is different.

By the way RFRD, do you ever get tounge tied saying all those codes at once?
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET
    By the way RFRD, do you ever get tounge tied saying all those codes at once?

No It's not bad really.

But Keepback is correct, 10 codes are not used everywhere or the same everywhere. About the only one we use here is 10-4. For the FD at least, the PD does use them.

Forum Member

my mistake, i know some places that use it. that's what is in iowa. so i just assumed. i thought everyone would be on the same "wavelength" as everyone else. my mistake sorry

Dont worry about it JakeBTY. No prob!

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Got help???

The only way to learn this job, and learn it the right way is to train. You can read all the books you want, but enless you put your hands on it you dont get the same feeling. Find a leader that you can trust to lead you on the right path. This job is not hard as long as you have the training. Start with the basic's. How to roll a hose, lift a ladder. I know it sound dumb, but it worked for me when i was an explorer. That was in 1996. 10 years later im a paid firefighter at a dept. and have been for 5 years. I see's more calls in a month the most do in a year. Just dont give up. This is the best job in the world.

Forum Member

i thought it would be a fun job. every once in a while, when i hear a fire call on my scanner, which there are not many because this is a small rural town, i get on my bike a go to the fire. i stay out of the way though and just watch and learn. question completely of the subject.
    for firehouse meals, how long does it take you guys to cook? i read a firehouse cookbook, and most of those meals take only 5-10 minutes to cook. do you ever order pizza as a meal? just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by jakebty
    i thought it would be a fun job. every once in a while, when i hear a fire call on my scanner, which there are not many because this is a small rural town, i get on my bike a go to the fire. i stay out of the way though and just watch and learn.

I do the same. It is a great way to learn and see the things you are taught indrill used on a real call.

Forum Member

i also, very few times, but i still do, (i am not a cadet yet), hang out at the firehouse, and just talk with the ff's and emt's about anything, not just firefighting. they showed me around the station(where they keep the trucks) and invited me to fundraisers, and even training drills. but about the going to the fires, we have two stations. one for city, and one rural. i rode on a bike to the one that was the rural. that was about 1/2 a mile outside of town. by the time i got out there, all the trucks were leaving, but there was still smoke. later that same night, they got a call to the same place because it rekindled. but it's good excersize and fun

Forum Member

you rode a bike to a call, oh my god. i have heard it all now. when you do get on a fire department and you ride your bike to a call, if you get hit insurence will not cover it period. jsut thought i would let you know.

Forum Member

i ain't on the fd yet. when i become a cadet, i get to ride in whatever apparatus they assign me. i just ride a bike for fun.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My advice

First of all, regarding the 10-codes, don't get too hung up on them. Like others have said, they're not standard everywhere. And, there's a big push to eliminate "coded" language altogether, which I think is good. In fact, part of the new National Incident Management System (NIMS - there's a good term to become familiar with) is that we will not use coded language. We won't report a 10-70 (fire) we'll report a "fire". We aren't 10-76 (in route), we're just "in route". Unfortunately, a lot of firefighters aren't willing to give this up. They like having their own "language" so they hang onto this. Go ahead a learn the ones that are used in your own department so that you'll understand the others when they use them, but I'd encourage you to not get into the habit of using them yourself.

Second, I'd focus on learning the names of the tools that are used in your department. Learn what a "haligan bar" is. Find out what a "K-tool" looks like (here's a hint - it looks like a "K" - lol). When you become familiar with the tools, you'll be ready to start using them. And, it's much better than asking someone to get you the "whatchamacallit with the doohickey on the thingamajig".

[QUOTE=firemedicgm] And, there's a big push to eliminate "coded" language altogether, which I think is good. In fact, part of the new National Incident Management System (NIMS - there's a good term to become familiar with) is that we will not use coded language. QUOTE]

Glad you mentioned the NIMS stuff, here is a link to the FEMA website with online training for NIMS.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

why would they eliminate the codes? i actually don't really care what is used, but just wondering. it would make more sense to say fire instead of 10-70. but still........

Thread Information