Forum Member

Default EMS grant for a Fire Dept in 2006

Iím starting to do research on our grants this year. We are looking at making our brush/attack mini pumper and our second out engine EMS certified, and replacing our old AEDs (lifepaks 300), and putting an AED on our tanker. Right now, we only have our first our engine and SERV are EMS certified. The total cost would be about 20 grand.

Our Department runs about 170 calls a year, which about 70% of calls are EMS. We have received 3 grants (firecom, PPE, and SCBA) out of the 5 years. Looking at 2005 guidance, EMS is now in with fire equipment. I thought it had itís own category. I guess that was another year. Are we trying for something that wouldnít be funded because of the need for firefighting equipment. The only other need we are looking at is extrication equipment. We donít have any extrication equipment, but feel EMS is our bigger need.

My question, is this a viable grant? How many received a grant for EMS? Thanks for your input in advance.

Forum Member

I just recieved this file from our Zoll rep today. It has a matrix of available grants. Most of them apply to AED's but I'm sure there is some other valuable information. I had to attach the file in .zip format, but it is an Excel file. If anyone has any troubles opening it then let me know and I can e-mail it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Matt, EMS equipment is fundable under the Firefighting Equipment Category for FDs, I believe it always has been but not sure exactly.

EMS equipment for FDs is lower in priority than rescue tools, even with a status of first responder.

MembersZone Subscriber

Matt,
    Not to add insult to injury but, did you appy for CEDAP. You could have gotten the extrication equipment ( AMKUS tool/ cutters, spreaders, generators) at "zero" match. It just closed on last Friday.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Kurt, we did not apply for the CEDAP. I think I looked hard at it in Phase 1, and felt that we qualified for it. I'm not sure how much I looked at it in Phase 2. Thanks for you help.

Brian, I glad to see we are looking at the guidance the same way. Thanks for the email.

Not2L84U2, thanks for the matrix. I was able to open and I'm looking into some of those grants.

Thanks for the input and still would like to hear from people who got an EMS grant.

Thread Information