1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    55

    Default Any Privet Contractors posting here?

    I am a Wildland VFD Fire Fighter but also Contract with the USFS. I have a Type II 2500 Gal Tender. Any guys build there own trucks here or contract them? I built this one for fires and can't wait to get it out this year!! The last one I built was a Type III and I wanted to up grade since they seem to use more Type IIs in Eastern Washington, Okanogan area (Reg 6) . Here is a link to my Photo Site building it. Sure would like to see some more Tenders to get ideas from. Thanks, Mark

    http://imageevent.com/willy/1993freightliner

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    56

    Default type 5 engine

    well i am also a pvt contracter with a type 5 engine

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    55

    Default Changing Rules?

    Quote Originally Posted by ncbrush6
    well i am also a pvt contracter with a type 5 engine
    Are they changing the rules in your area to mainly favor the Newer Engines? They now have it so the 2005 Type 6 Engines can get out more than the rest of them as long as they keep buying a new one every year. Boy you got to have a lot a days on the fires to finance a new truck every other year and still make some money let alone pay for it! I hope to make some money on my 3rd year now that my Tender is paid for. I just kept putting it all into the truck for 2 years. Mark H.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    56

    Default

    well here on the east coast there are not many pvt engines that i know of. but i know the way they hire here is who is closer to the fire and cost of the engine or tender and also skill of the crew.. i have been in the fire service for 25 years.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Penn Valley, Ca
    Posts
    571

    Default

    I used to work a private type 6 engine out of Bend, Oregon but that was back in the gravy days. They seem to have made it a lot harder on the owners since then. Especially us small companies. I live here in Northern California though and I didn't particularly like the desert so now I work in a municipal/rural department here in my home town. Steady work is better too.

    Birken

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    55

    Default The Paper Work will Swamp you!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BirkenVogt
    I used to work a private type 6 engine out of Bend, Oregon but that was back in the gravy days. They seem to have made it a lot harder on the owners since then. Especially us small companies. I live here in Northern California though and I didn't particularly like the desert so now I work in a municipal/rural department here in my home town. Steady work is better too.

    Birken
    If you can get past the paper work in CCR, DUNNs Number, EATIS, FMSCA, DOT, Buissness Licence, ROSS, Fire Training Certifcation, Pack Test, Records Review, USFS Paper Work, DOT Truck Inspection, USFS Truck & Equipment Inspection, USFS 2 Mil Insurance, 1 Mil Truck Insurance, Tonage & Licence Fees, Drug Testing and a couple other things, it is all about getting called out to fight fires during a few months of the summer! If you don't get called out you sure just spent a bunch of money and time for nothing!! Mark

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Penn Valley, Ca
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Yeah those were the good old days...it's all crap now...it was fun while it lasted....
    Birken

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TenderR6
    If you can get past the paper work in CCR, DUNNs Number, EATIS, FMSCA, DOT, Buissness Licence, ROSS, Fire Training Certifcation, Pack Test, Records Review, USFS Paper Work, DOT Truck Inspection, USFS Truck & Equipment Inspection, USFS 2 Mil Insurance, 1 Mil Truck Insurance, Tonage & Licence Fees, Drug Testing and a couple other things, it is all about getting called out to fight fires during a few months of the summer! If you don't get called out you sure just spent a bunch of money and time for nothing!! Mark
    How right you are so many lines to jump over to just do the job. most pvt engines are better eqtp than most fed and state engines..and still the feds pick and chose who is going to get the call..

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    well I'm trying to break into the industry. I see an R6 there...where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    55

    Default Region 6 Contracts Opens Tomorrow!

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonfire
    well I'm trying to break into the industry. I see an R6 there...where are you located if you don't mind me asking?
    I am located in Okanogan, Washington. Tomorrow Region 6 is letting us see the Engine/Water Tender 2006 Contact so we can sumit our bids !! Mark H.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A Simple lesson in Posting:
    By FlyingKiwi in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 228
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 11:47 AM
  2. Posting, Posting, Posting...............
    By hwoods in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 10:24 PM
  3. Forum Posting and You
    By sconfire in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 12:12 AM
  4. ** MUST READ ** --> POSTING GUIDELINES
    By webteam in forum Firehouse Profiles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-1999, 11:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register