MembersZone Subscriber

Default ladder placement

hi all,

I was looking through the many fire apparatus sites on the web, and suddenly I was hit with a question. Is it possible to have an engine with high side rescue style compartments, room for two lengths of hard suction (one stacked on top of the other) and then put some type of ladder rack on it?
    Would it be too tall? Would there be someway of making the rig shorter, in terms of height. Mind you, this would be with the 2 lenngths of hard suction on both sides. Can you think of anywhere else to put the ladders besides through the tank?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeteySt1
    hi all,

I was looking through the many fire apparatus sites on the web, and suddenly I was hit with a question. Is it possible to have an engine with high side rescue style compartments, room for two lengths of hard suction (one stacked on top of the other) and then put some type of ladder rack on it?
    Would it be too tall? Would there be someway of making the rig shorter, in terms of height. Mind you, this would be with the 2 lenngths of hard suction on both sides. Can you think of anywhere else to put the ladders besides through the tank?
    It is COMPLETELY possible.

I'll swing up to my firehouse and get a couple of photos once I get back from picking up a guest at the airport.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

If the height may be a problem, take a look at through the tank or next to the tank ladder storage.
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

The engine at our HQ station is a 2000 KME/International Rescue Body with through the tank ladder storage. Our hose bed is way up there and you need 3 step-ups to get to it. I would say that is the only reason I don't like that style is for the elevated hose bed. That's just me and others may think different. I say what works for you use it.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Or put the suctions and the ladders on a hyd ladder rack.No stretching or reaching,delivers to shoulder level. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Or put the suctions and the ladders on a hyd ladder rack.No stretching or reaching,delivers to shoulder level. T.C.
    There you go! You can put your pike pole storage on that ladder rack while your at it if you'd like.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If you do what Rescue101 and IronsMan53 say to do, we could simply add the hard suction to the ladder racks (2 of them). We still have a rescue body with full height compartments and it is not too tall.

The only issue will be to make sure the maker will guarantee the weight rating of the racks with your ground ladders, hard suction and pike poles on them. I know on ours it could easily hold them if we chose to put hard suction on them.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Ladders could be put behind the high side compartment on one side, in the hose bed, under the "T" of the tank, through the tank, on a ladder rack, and probably some option I didn't mention.

We have an engine coming with ladder storage under the T of the tank as well as on a ladder rack, hard suction under the other side of the T of the tank, high sides both sides and 1000 gallons of water. It will be our "city service" ladder as it was determined that we can't justify an aerial for our response area vs. our budget.

As mentioned, different builders' hydraulic overhead racks can only hold so much weight. I know Zico has limitations that make it hard to put a 35 footer, a roofer and hard suctions up there (one of the scenarios we were considering).

One solution that I've seen that I thought was neat was a very long hard suction mounted up on the rack (probably like 15 feet or so) and a short suction length mounted transverse in one of the compartments. You get the required length that should be carried, you're just doing it with two different lengths.

Given the heights some of the rigs are now, too tall is only up to your subjective opinion. Obviously, if you're trying to get this thing in a ten foot door, you may have issues.
    Last edited by npfd801; 01-17-2006 at 05:30 PM. Reason: I need to learn how to spell

MembersZone Subscriber

npfd801,

Do you have any drawing of you new engine? I would like to see your ladder placement.

We will be replacing one of two engines in the next few years. We can not get an areial, so i have been thinking of added extra ladders to the new engine. Also, would like to have the 1,000 gallon tank.

We are mostly rural with a small hydranted city. We have some three story building downtown, a three stroy nursing home, and a three story hotel. Currently both engines carry 35' three section extension, 14' roof, and 10 attic ladder. I would like to add another extension (24 or 28) and 14' roof. We are limited in heigh by a 10' door in the station.

Thanks,

Hose21
    Last edited by hose21; 01-24-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Forum Member

Default Hard Suction on the Bumper X 2

Hose 21,

Sounds like you are between a rock and a small OH Door. You could think about doing something to eliminate the Hard Suction Concern from the Fire Body Equation of the Truck.

We have 7 ft. Length of Hard Suction Preconnected on a Swivel mounted to the front bumper of both our Engine and our Quint. I also have a Neighboring Dept. that has a Suction Storage Compartment Below the Front Bumper for another 7 ft. Length (nice idea).

That could keep all of your ladders within the T's of you Tank and reduce your OAH. Keeping within that 10 ft. door and having a rescue style Body with 1000 gal of water and those Ladder Racks will be a tough deal for any builder.

Hope my suggestion helps. Did anyone else read an article somewhere along the way about Rescue Bodies working best @ not greater than 750 gallons of water????????
    GB

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a top mount pumper coming this summer, custom chassis, 35 and 24 foot ground ladders, 16 and 12 foot roofers, 1000 gallons of water and we're at 10'-2". I bet you could find a builder that could drop that to 9'-9".

If a builder really wants your business, they'll find a way to build it (obviously there's safety minded things they won't do).

Thread Information