Two Coal Miners Injured In Separate Incidents

Harlan (AP) Two coal miners are recovering from injuries suffered when rocks fell on them in separate incidents.

Eddie Brown of Rio Vista suffered a broken arm Friday after being struck while working at Lone Mountain Processing in Holmes Mill, near the Kentucky-Virgina state line.

Brown's wife, Debra Brown, said her husband had surgery at Wellmont Lonesome Pine Hospital in Big Stone Gap, Va., and is recovering.

"He seems to be fine, just some scrapes and bruises," she said.

Tim Sizemore, of Leslie County, was injured Thursday at KELCO Mining Company in Bledsoe after also being struck by a rock. "I was in there bolting when a rock came from the outside and got under my canopy and hit me on my right leg," he said.

Sizemore was treated at Harlan Appalachian Regional Hospital and released.

A miner died in Pike County on Tuesday during a roof collapse. Cornelius Yates, 44, of Shelbiana in Pike County was killed in the accident, which occurred about 900 feet inside the Maverick Mining Co. LLC mine in Pikeville, near the Virginia line.

Yates was operating a roof bolting machine when a section of the mine roof approximately 20 feet wide, 4 1/2 feet thick and 10 feet long fell, according to a statement from the state Environmental and Public Protection Cabinet.

Information from: Harlan Daily Enterprise