Forum Member

Default concidering Fire Protection

Right now I'm in the process of possibly enlisting in the AF. The biggest decision for me is deciding what job to go in as. I originally listed Loadmaster, then some things came up with my paperwork and I didn't leave on my leave date. My family comes from a strong aviation background, and also a strong law enforcement background, and those are my interests as well. I would've listed Security Forces but that's a whole nother beast. Security Forces I'm realizing is not where I need to be in the Air Force. Much much different than civilian law enforcement. I'm a dispatcher for a local PD and FD. Working the fire side brings back memories of when I was young and looked up to these firefighters so much, and admired them so much, and aspired to be like them when I grew up. I'm concidering Fire Protection when I enlist. I've done Search and Rescue for the past 6 years with the Civil Air Patrol and it's what I love. Helping people is what I love. I don't really know what the point of this thread is...I guess I would just like some input or feedback from the AF guys about this, how you like your job, any other pertinent info that might be helpful for me.

Forum Member

I love my job to death. I feel that firefighting is the way to go. I'm stationed @ little rock afb and its cool. It's kinda boring compared to some civilian departments out there because most calls are med runs and automatic fire alarms but it might be different at any other base. We have a pretty good group of people so that makes it alot better. But the type of trainnig you get is very good. Its a good experience and you get to serve your country, meet new people and travel. So It's all about what you like if you like alot of action some bases might not be for you or the military in general. But it is a good job to have.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jtmays
    Right now I'm in the process of possibly enlisting in the AF. The biggest decision for me is deciding what job to go in as. I originally listed Loadmaster, then some things came up with my paperwork and I didn't leave on my leave date. My family comes from a strong aviation background, and also a strong law enforcement background, and those are my interests as well. I would've listed Security Forces but that's a whole nother beast. Security Forces I'm realizing is not where I need to be in the Air Force. Much much different than civilian law enforcement. I'm a dispatcher for a local PD and FD. Working the fire side brings back memories of when I was young and looked up to these firefighters so much, and admired them so much, and aspired to be like them when I grew up. I'm concidering Fire Protection when I enlist. I've done Search and Rescue for the past 6 years with the Civil Air Patrol and it's what I love. Helping people is what I love. I don't really know what the point of this thread is...I guess I would just like some input or feedback from the AF guys about this, how you like your job, any other pertinent info that might be helpful for me.
    I love my career as an Air Force FF. Looking over your interests, you might also want to consider Pararescue. If your not the "Special Forces" type, then you can even try a medic career field. I choose firefighter because I had the first 4 on my dream sheet as medical careers, and i figured "hell, firefighter is close enough to medical" so i put that as my final. Well, needless to say, i got the last choice. The DoD has so many opportunities for firefighters including certs (including Rescue Technician I and II/Confined Space Rescue Tech), and continuing education (I am 15 credits from my BA in Fire Science). We recieve excellent training at Ramstein Air Base. I have been on 2 rescue calls this month, (which is alot of calls for the "SAFETY MINDED" military) both of which were rescue. 1 vehicle extrication and another was a high angle rescue. Please don't think I'm trying to polish up anything... Ramstein serves over 50,000 military and 8,000 local nationals daily with 8 going on 9 stations, so not every place you go to is going to be so busy. Good luck in deciding, and remember whatever you choose... make sure you have that job GUARANTEED - IN WRITING - ON THE CONTRACT, or else, you could possibly have a bad 4/6 years ahead of ya.

chris

MembersZone Subscriber

Default usafff04

you state you are stationed at little rock? send me a pm, or email me at bbreiler@arialink.com, I work with a guy that just left there.

Thread Information