Forum Member

Default MFD - Arctic Hose?

I was recently given an old Cairns helmet and the shield said MFD - Arctic on it. The owner lived in Derby and so I was thinking it was an old volunteer department before the Milford Fire Department was created. Does anyone have any ideas on what this may have been? Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Artic Engine company #1

Quote Originally Posted by daysleeper47
    I was recently given an old Cairns helmet and the shield said MFD - Arctic on it. The owner lived in Derby and so I was thinking it was an old volunteer department before the Milford Fire Department was created. Does anyone have any ideas on what this may have been? Thanks in advance.
    Daysleeper
    The helmet you have belonged to Milford Fire Department's (Connecticut) Arctic Engine Company 1, which was out of the Headquarter's Station and then out of Engine 7 on Wheelers Farms Rd. Milford was a combination department until 1983 when the city opted to go all paid and the Volunteers were placed out of service. The volunteers still have a non- responding association, called "The Milford Volunteer Fire Association" I do not know if they have a web site. They do have an active muster team, and have been working on a museum. I think thier mailing address is :

Milford Volunteer Fire Association
    77 Wheelers Farms Rd.
    Milford, Ct 06460

All the volunteer company's gear orignally were hung on the rig. Later some members were issued gear, and then some members bought thier own. It will be hard to tell, but if there is a painted number on the rear brim, it was probably a "hung" helmet. I am sorry I cannot give you anymore info. Pretty cool find!

Lt Russ Chapman
    Engine Company 4 (current)
    Milford Fire Department
    ROOFMAN

Forum Member

Loo, that was great information and exactly what I was looking for. An online search of Artic Hose turned up nothing but I always assumed it was Milford. Unfortunetly, shortly after I received the helmet, the owner passed away so I wasn't able to get additional information. It is probably the nicest helmet in my collection of 8. Thanks for the info!

Thread Information