Forum Member

Post Ziamatic Walkaway SCBA brackets

Looking for information on any injuries or near misses from fire fighters trying to exit apparatus using the Ziamatic walkaway SCBA brackets. Problems we have faced are the cylinders do not always disconnect when the release lines are pulled, realease lines getting tangled up with the SCBA units as well as worn release cables braking when pulled.

Anyone with simular issues?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default we do

we have the same issues with these. We are always going back and forth about using them or not. I understand that they are a safety issue but whats safe about a firefighter getting stuck in his seat while the structure burns to the ground? Personally i dont see a need for them and its just another pain in the a**! We have had some talk about taking the SCBA's completly out of the cab. I believe Phoenix or someone does this and there guys stay buckled until they arrive on scene and then do a scene size up while donning packs outside the truck. Any thoughts on this?

Forum Member

jake2415, JMO, but if you are complaining about the time it takes to properly unbuckled the SCBA from a bracket, don't even consider taking the SCBA's out of the seating area and putting them into compartments. THAT is more of a time delay than unbuckling from the brackets.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

jake2415 - We do not want to remove the SCBA packs from the cabs and their are safe effective units that can be used. The problem is all our newer trucks are coming in with this particular SCBA brackets. The backets we have in our older trucks work great but do not fit the new NFPA regluations (grand fathered in). My thoughts are, if there is a problem with this patrticular product it should be corrected. We are looking at spending 10's of thousands of dollars to replace them, which we could be using that money for other safety items for our fire fighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Put the old school clips on the new brackets. Ensure the lanyard stays with the seat.

There is no problems that have been addressed by the Manufacturer, its just a real sh*tty design

MembersZone Subscriber

Our personnel have been trained to release the strap prior to sitting down and buckling up when responding to an incident requiring the use of are BA's. The only problem we have is when the new guy forgets to release before sitting down. Then yes, he's scrabbling to reach around to release.

Just remember, there in place for are safety. How many times have we gone to an MVA and seen the interior contents from the back seat ended up on the dash?

MembersZone Subscriber

Try this, sit in your seat, put your seat belt on. Then when you arrive at the scene, step down turn pull the lanyard and wip the pack onto one shoulder like I do. Then as you step out put the other shoulder strap on and then waste strap. I find this is the best for me. Sometimes the lanyard release get caught up and in the position I am standing I can really give it a good tug and comes loose evertime. KA

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Seat Belt ON!!!

The operative words are SEAT BELT ON!
    Its good to hear someone is wearing their seat belt until they arrive on scene. Keep up the good work.

Thread Information