Thread: Just be Honest!

Forum Member

Unhappy Just be Honest!

This is something that has been lost at many fire departments; especially non paid departments. Something that just happened to me at my department during junior officer elections; made me think about being honest more. I was running for captain along with a friend who I thought had my back; he didn't. A few hours before the election he called me and said that if the election was a tie or he won he would give me the position. He won the election and did not do what he said. Backstabbing at departments needs to stop if it did all departments with this problem would be better. Thanks for reading this and let "Just be honest" stick in your head next time something like this happens to you.

Forum Member

Don't let this bother you...stuff like this will happen for the rest of your career in the fire service.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

This will happen to you ANYWHERE you work. The morals, values and ethics of society lowers every day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET
    Don't let this bother you...stuff like this will happen for the rest of your career in the fire service.
    Amen to that brother!!!

Are your officers elected by the juniors themselves or the advisors (or whatever you may call the adult ff's)???

Even though you may not have an "official" officers position with a title, you can still be a leader. Work with the new guys and if they seem to struggle with something, help them out. Offer to help teach or set up for a drill and be eager to accept any responsibilty and this will show your leadership skills.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by The1andOnly
    This will happen to you ANYWHERE you work. The morals, values and ethics of society lowers every day.
    No lie.

Welcome to Life.

Forum Member

Wink

So true. All the responses are so true after 15 years I've seen soooo much of this crap....such a sad thing, but many will climb crawl and dig to get what they want...so be honest and do your job and be the best you can be your time will come. We have this problem here in Canada in Paid Depts. too, so study and don't let crap like this set you back just focus on yourself.. He probably doesn't even get what he did he just has tunnel vision..

Forum Member

Red face SO what do you do?

...never mind.
    Last edited by msgogeke; 04-12-2007 at 05:30 PM. Reason: not applicable

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMZ108 View Post
    A few hours before the election he called me and said that if the election was a tie or he won he would give me the position. He won the election and did not do what he said.
    What? If he was chosen over you, why the hell should he then "spit" on those that chose him and give it to someone they did not want? Does that really make sense to you?

No offense, but thank goodness this did not happen. Would have lost all respect from all involved.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you, Bones. I too completely do not understand the point of this thread... a very strange definition of "backstabbing" was presented here, i.e. honoring the results of a vote.

Was there anyone other than these two running? If so, and if these two juniors actually planned ahead of time to both run in the election and then regardless of who won RMZ108 would take the position, that would be blatantly screwing the other nominees, splitting the votes and skewing the election process.

I am quite flabberghasted at all the empathy that the original poster has been receiving.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Default Reply

Hey all, I am new here so i figured I would start by responding to this bulletin first. I understand that what your "friend" did to you was "backstabbing" but why would he even run if he was just going to hand the position over to you? You should of known something was up.

Forum Member

This is something that has been lost at many fire departments; especially non paid departments. Something that just happened to me at my department during junior officer elections; made me think about being honest more. I was running for captain along with a friend who I thought had my back; he didn't. A few hours before the election he called me and said that if the election was a tie or he won he would give me the position. He won the election and did not do what he said. Backstabbing at departments needs to stop if it did all departments with this problem would be better. Thanks for reading this and let "Just be honest" stick in your head next time something like this happens to you.
    You lost the election. Suck it up! You're probably gonna lose more before it's all over. Especially if you expect things like rank to be handed to you on a silver platter.

This ain't kindergarten kid, it's the fire service. You're expected to be acting like an adult, not a little, whiny, sore loser. How about letting "Just be an adult" stick in your head the next time something like this happens.

If you want to become an officer...EARN IT! That's the way the big boys (and girls) do it.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

So you know how it feels to be misled. Now imagine how the guys that were voting would feel when the guy they elected just rolled over and handed the job to you. They would probably feel misled, and would probably be ****ed. It's probably a pretty good thing that didn't happen. Think of the consequences it might have had. You most certainly would have gotten little or no respect, because after all, they didn't elect you. It would have lowered morale because the election was fixed in your favor. Don't be mad at your buddy for taking it seriously and listening to the membership that elected him. Work your a## off and earn it next time, you'll appreciate it more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    You lost the election. Suck it up! You're probably gonna lose more before it's all over. Especially if you expect things like rank to be handed to you on a silver platter.

This ain't kindergarten kid, it's the fire service. You're expected to be acting like an adult, not a little, whiny, sore loser. How about letting "Just be an adult" stick in your head the next time something like this happens.

If you want to become an officer...EARN IT! That's the way the big boys (and girls) do it.

Kevin

Agreed!

Happens all the time, and it will continue too happen. It's life. Carry on and go from there.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I don't usually read Jr/Explorer threads, let alone post a reply, but this just begged to be commented on ....

Something that just happened to me at my department during junior officer elections; made me think about being honest more.
    You should strive to be honest ALL the time, not just "being honest more".
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

just let it roll buddy, act like it dont bother u, as mentioned u can still be a leader. pass ur experience knowledge to new jrs, good things will come

Forum Member

I love how all of you are giving advice today to this guy but do you really think he's going to be looking at this since this thread died a little over a year ago?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nosrednanoraa View Post
    I love how all of you are giving advice today to this guy but do you really think he's going to be looking at this since this thread died a little over a year ago?
    Kinda thinking that too....well I guess we know that reincarnation (or something like that) is real.

Forum Member

Woops, Missed the date! Oh well!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nosrednanoraa View Post
    Hopefully. Maybe he'll learn something.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's nice to know people answer questions and comment on things, whether it's a new question or a dead, now reincarnated, thread.

Forum Member

sorry to here that kiddo. but in the fire department, its all about politics.
    Station 4-5-2
    Paradise Pennsylvania.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Amen to that brother!!!

Are your officers elected by the juniors themselves or the advisors (or whatever you may call the adult ff's)???

Even though you may not have an "official" officers position with a title, you can still be a leader. Work with the new guys and if they seem to struggle with something, help them out. Offer to help teach or set up for a drill and be eager to accept any responsibilty and this will show your leadership skills.
    This is very true. That happened to me so I helped out anybody on the Jr. side of the dept. that needed it and when the elections for officers (voted by juniors) came around, guess who became asst. chief. If you help the newbies out, and SHOW THEM RESPECT, come next elections, you will have more votes from people who know that you can lead the group.

Forum Member

A few hours before the election he called me and said that if the election was a tie or he won he would give me the position. He won the election and did not do what he said.
    Would you really want something you didn't earn? You should be embarrassed to be posting something like this, even more embarrassed that you would (apparently) consider taking a post you didn't win.

Forum Member

Unhappy Times like that will come

Do get too downed about it, but if you knew that if that person shoudn't be in that position dont try to be all in one like taking over the show, just take the explorer captains test next time and good luck with your problem

Forum Member

Are you from Westons Mills NY?
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

Thread Information