Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Forum Member skyraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    601

    Default Someone please beam Capt Kirk back down to earth!

    I liked Star Trek as much as anyone, but Shatner is losing his stones, uh, I mean marbles.. I read the headline & thought: "Get out!" Read the article and thought: "Well, maybe I can see it...for charity & all." Read the last line and thought "SOB and greed."



    Posted 1/17/2006 6:01 PM

    William Shatner sells kidney stone
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — An online casino has a piece of Capt. Kirk. Actor William Shatner has sold his kidney stone for $25,000, with the money going to a housing charity, it was announced Tuesday.

    "If you subjected it to extreme heat, it might turn out to be a diamond," Shatner said of the kidney stone he auctioned off for charity.
    ABC

    Shatner reached agreement Monday to sell the stone to GoldenPalace.com.

    "This takes organ donors to a new height, to a new low, maybe. How much is a piece of me worth?" he said in a telephone interview.

    GoldenPalace.com is noted for its collection of oddities, which includes a partially eaten cheese sandwich thought to contain the image of the Virgin Mary.

    "This is a bold new addition to our fleet," GoldenPalace.com Chief Executive Officer Richard Rowe said in a statement.

    The money will go to Habitat for Humanity, which builds houses for the needy.

    "This would be the first Habitat for Humanity house built out of stone," joked Darren Julien, president of Los Angeles-based Julien's Auctions, which handled the sale.

    Shatner, who played Kirk on the original Star Trek TV show and won the Emmy for his role on Boston Legal, passed the stone last fall.

    The deal includes the surgical stint and string used to permit passage of the stone, which Shatner said was so large "you'd want to wear it on your finger."

    "If you subjected it to extreme heat, it might turn out to be a diamond," he said.

    Shatner said the idea of selling the stone came up after Boston Legal raised $20,000 for Habitat for Humanity. With the money for the stone, Shatner said there is about enough funding to build half a house.

    GoldenPalace.com originally offered $15,000 for the stone but Shatner turned it down, noting that his Star Trek tunics have commanded more than $100,000." His counteroffer was accepted.


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,828

    Default

    It was announced on a (God I hate saying this considering present company above ) country radio station during the drive in. (I ride shotgun with a workmate - its not my fault he listens to country music. )
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  3. #3
    Forum Member DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyraider
    I liked Star Trek as much as anyone, but Shatner is losing his stones, uh, I mean marbles.. I read the headline & thought: "Get out!" Read the article and thought: "Well, maybe I can see it...for charity & all." Read the last line and thought "SOB and greed."



    Posted 1/17/2006 6:01 PM

    William Shatner sells kidney stone
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — An online casino has a piece of Capt. Kirk. Actor William Shatner has sold his kidney stone for $25,000, with the money going to a housing charity, it was announced Tuesday.

    "If you subjected it to extreme heat, it might turn out to be a diamond," Shatner said of the kidney stone he auctioned off for charity.
    ABC

    Shatner reached agreement Monday to sell the stone to GoldenPalace.com.

    "This takes organ donors to a new height, to a new low, maybe. How much is a piece of me worth?" he said in a telephone interview.

    GoldenPalace.com is noted for its collection of oddities, which includes a partially eaten cheese sandwich thought to contain the image of the Virgin Mary.

    "This is a bold new addition to our fleet," GoldenPalace.com Chief Executive Officer Richard Rowe said in a statement.

    The money will go to Habitat for Humanity, which builds houses for the needy.

    "This would be the first Habitat for Humanity house built out of stone," joked Darren Julien, president of Los Angeles-based Julien's Auctions, which handled the sale.

    Shatner, who played Kirk on the original Star Trek TV show and won the Emmy for his role on Boston Legal, passed the stone last fall.

    The deal includes the surgical stint and string used to permit passage of the stone, which Shatner said was so large "you'd want to wear it on your finger."

    "If you subjected it to extreme heat, it might turn out to be a diamond," he said.

    Shatner said the idea of selling the stone came up after Boston Legal raised $20,000 for Habitat for Humanity. With the money for the stone, Shatner said there is about enough funding to build half a house.

    GoldenPalace.com originally offered $15,000 for the stone but Shatner turned it down, noting that his Star Trek tunics have commanded more than $100,000." His counteroffer was accepted.
    You think it is greedy for him to have gotten as much as possible for a charity?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  4. #4
    Forum Member skyraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    601

    Default

    A kidney stone. The man is selling his freakin’ kidney stone! If he’s such a charitable man, then he should be sacrificing his time & donating his money and not insinuating that his stone equates to Star Trek memorabilia. But then again, I guess some could argue that he did make a “sacrifice” for this charity.

    “Excuse me, Doc… mind going back to the “specimen” room and getting my large calcium deposit that I passed so I can sell it?"

    You know...that's kind of like at work during Christmas...bosses offer up their parking spaces (in auctions) during the Christmas holidays. They don't give up their spaces during the year when people would benefit; instead they give it up when they themselves are on vacation AND there's plenty of parking. Where's the sacrifice?

  5. #5
    Forum Member DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyraider
    A kidney stone. The man is selling his freakin’ kidney stone! If he’s such a charitable man, then he should be sacrificing his time & donating his money and not insinuating that his stone equates to Star Trek memorabilia. But then again, I guess some could argue that he did make a “sacrifice” for this charity.

    “Excuse me, Doc… mind going back to the “specimen” room and getting my large calcium deposit that I passed so I can sell it?"

    You know...that's kind of like at work during Christmas...bosses offer up their parking spaces (in auctions) during the Christmas holidays. They don't give up their spaces during the year when people would benefit; instead they give it up when they themselves are on vacation AND there's plenty of parking. Where's the sacrifice?
    He lent his celebraty to a worthy cause and helped alot more then I can do. I am sure that the publicity needed to get such a large sum for a "calcium deposit" took up a far bit of his time. The big question should be how much fairmarket value goldenpalace.com's accounts will assign to the "calcium deposit" to be able to write off the charitable part of the sale on their tax bill.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  6. #6
    Forum Member skyraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    He lent his celebraty to a worthy cause and helped alot more then I can do.
    Dennis...you under-rate yourself! Next time you pass a kidney stone, we'll auction it up on FH to see how much it'll bring in!

  7. #7
    Forum Member DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyraider
    Dennis...you under-rate yourself! Next time you pass a kidney stone, we'll auction it up on FH to see how much it'll bring in!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyraider
    Dennis...you under-rate yourself! Next time you pass a kidney stone, we'll auction it up on FH to see how much it'll bring in!
    I wonder how long it will take him to get one ready?
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

  9. #9
    Forum Member Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Default

    Damn, I missed the auction.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ronnie Few wants his old job back... in Georgia!
    By sconfire in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 11:24 AM
  2. Man who nearly drowned is frozen back to life
    By BladesRobinson in forum Underwater Rescue and Recovery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 09:14 PM
  3. FYI in CA
    By hootman in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:04 AM
  4. Souythbridge, MA...Back to Bells...
    By Dalmatian90 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-08-2001, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts