1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,047

    Default Military to Municipal FD

    I have received a bunch of inquires lately for men and women who are looking to transition from the military into the fire service. I would like to share some thoughts with those of you who are considering such a move.

    Good luck and thanks for serving our country.


    Military Experience
    Candidates who have served our country in the Armed Forces have a huge advantage over those who have not. It is generally believed that while you may not have as many certificates and fire science units as the other candidates (you were busy serving our country), you offer much more.

    Experience shows that candidates with military experience usually possess the following attributes:

    1. They are very mature.
    2. They understand the need to get along with others.
    3. They understand commitment.
    4. They are usually physically fit.
    5. They demonstrate respect for authority.
    6. They understand the chain of command.
    7. They are used to working in a structured environment.
    8. They understand doing something right the first time.
    9. They are used to working unsupervised.
    10. They understand doing a job or task is a reflection of themselves.
    11. They understand the importance of cleaning up after themselves.

    If you are still in the military and are interested in a career in the fire service, it is important that you start making provisions NOW. Start taking online fire science courses. Here is one link to get you started http://www.firecareers.com/viewmessa...=11&Topic=6571

    If possible, put yourself in a position to get fire service-related training such as Medic or Corpsman. Hazardous Materials and firefighter training will also be beneficial. Lastly, work on general education courses so you can earn your Associates degree.

    Do not be intimidated by all of the candidates who have every certification under the sun. They were able to obtain these as full time students while you were busy fulfilling your obligation to the American people.

    A candidate who is an EMT, possesses related experience as a reserve or volunteer firefighter and is active taking fire science courses is usually at the top of his or her game. Get your qualifications, learn how to take a fire department interview and earn your badge.

    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Spectre08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Goodfellow AFB, Tx
    Posts
    415

    Default

    hey, just so ya know. But, at least for Air Force Firefighters, it's pretty easy to get your AAS in Fire Science while you're in through the CCAF. And several firefighters that I know here at the school and who I've talked to got their AAS within their first year, and started working on Fire Science Management B.S. degrees.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

  3. #3
    cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    hey, just so ya know. But, at least for Air Force Firefighters, it's pretty easy to get your AAS in Fire Science while you're in through the CCAF. And several firefighters that I know here at the school and who I've talked to got their AAS within their first year, and started working on Fire Science Management B.S. degrees.
    you got the spiro's? that sucks man. i got to use the scotts in tech school, but unfortunately, most (every) base use's the spiros.

    Have fun

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Spectre08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Goodfellow AFB, Tx
    Posts
    415

    Default

    what sucks about the spiros? I don't mind it at all. It works just fine for me.

    The only thing that sucks is how beat up the damn face masks are, you can't see out of them hardly.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    THEFIRENUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    what sucks about the spiro's? I don't mind it at all. It works just fine for me.

    The only thing that sucks is how beat up the damn face masks are, you can't see out of them hardly.
    Hey Spectre, the Spiro's just tend to break down more often than the others. The hatch is more convenient, but it is easier to breath through the front of the face piece of the others. Other than those things, I find the Spiro's adequate.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

    Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

    ** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    Hey Spectre, the Spiro's just tend to break down more often than the others. The hatch is more convenient, but it is easier to breath through the front of the face piece of the others. Other than those things, I find the Spiro's adequate.


    I hated thoses things with all my heart, but thats me. Im sure the work great of others I just cant stand them.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Interspiro? Oh GAWD - wait till you expose them to a desert environment and sandstorms. We had numerous packs break - not from abuse, just fatigue of plastic parts. One firefighter had his pack fall off his back INSIDE a training fire. His mask stayed on, but the pack was on the floor. We found the plastic parts holding the straps together fell apart. Interspiro was notified, and they said "oh yeah - we're working on that." Now I will say we aquired some newer model Interspiros in Iraq, and they seemed more strudy, had METAL hardware, but the mask was still a pain in the ***** to repair

  8. #8
    cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
    Interspiro? Oh GAWD - wait till you expose them to a desert environment and sandstorms. We had numerous packs break - not from abuse, just fatigue of plastic parts. One firefighter had his pack fall off his back INSIDE a training fire. His mask stayed on, but the pack was on the floor. We found the plastic parts holding the straps together fell apart. Interspiro was notified, and they said "oh yeah - we're working on that." Now I will say we aquired some newer model Interspiros in Iraq, and they seemed more strudy, had METAL hardware, but the mask was still a pain in the ***** to repair
    ...not to mention how horrible it is when you have to clean everything out from all the dust. it's amazing how much dirt i got inside the spirohatch after an exercise in kuwait.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Contract Fire Protection Information
    By galebagram2u in forum Americans Overseas
    Replies: 544
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 07:19 AM
  2. Military Rules for the Non-Military Personnel
    By Airborne in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 07:04 PM
  3. Military looking for a few good medics: $120,000 sign-on bonus
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 06:54 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 08:43 AM
  5. Canadian Military Bankrupt
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register