MembersZone Subscriber

Default Military to Municipal FD

I have received a bunch of inquires lately for men and women who are looking to transition from the military into the fire service. I would like to share some thoughts with those of you who are considering such a move.

Good luck and thanks for serving our country.

Military Experience
    Candidates who have served our country in the Armed Forces have a huge advantage over those who have not. It is generally believed that while you may not have as many certificates and fire science units as the other candidates (you were busy serving our country), you offer much more.

Experience shows that candidates with military experience usually possess the following attributes:

1. They are very mature.
    2. They understand the need to get along with others.
    3. They understand commitment.
    4. They are usually physically fit.
    5. They demonstrate respect for authority.
    6. They understand the chain of command.
    7. They are used to working in a structured environment.
    8. They understand doing something right the first time.
    9. They are used to working unsupervised.
    10. They understand doing a job or task is a reflection of themselves.
    11. They understand the importance of cleaning up after themselves.

If you are still in the military and are interested in a career in the fire service, it is important that you start making provisions NOW. Start taking online fire science courses. Here is one link to get you started http://www.firecareers.com/viewmessa...=11&Topic=6571

If possible, put yourself in a position to get fire service-related training such as Medic or Corpsman. Hazardous Materials and firefighter training will also be beneficial. Lastly, work on general education courses so you can earn your Associates degree.

Do not be intimidated by all of the candidates who have every certification under the sun. They were able to obtain these as full time students while you were busy fulfilling your obligation to the American people.

A candidate who is an EMT, possesses related experience as a reserve or volunteer firefighter and is active taking fire science courses is usually at the top of his or her game. Get your qualifications, learn how to take a fire department interview and earn your badge.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

hey, just so ya know. But, at least for Air Force Firefighters, it's pretty easy to get your AAS in Fire Science while you're in through the CCAF. And several firefighters that I know here at the school and who I've talked to got their AAS within their first year, and started working on Fire Science Management B.S. degrees.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    hey, just so ya know. But, at least for Air Force Firefighters, it's pretty easy to get your AAS in Fire Science while you're in through the CCAF. And several firefighters that I know here at the school and who I've talked to got their AAS within their first year, and started working on Fire Science Management B.S. degrees.
    you got the spiro's? that sucks man. i got to use the scotts in tech school, but unfortunately, most (every) base use's the spiros.

Have fun

Forum Member

what sucks about the spiros? I don't mind it at all. It works just fine for me.

The only thing that sucks is how beat up the damn face masks are, you can't see out of them hardly.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    what sucks about the spiro's? I don't mind it at all. It works just fine for me.

The only thing that sucks is how beat up the damn face masks are, you can't see out of them hardly.
    Hey Spectre, the Spiro's just tend to break down more often than the others. The hatch is more convenient, but it is easier to breath through the front of the face piece of the others. Other than those things, I find the Spiro's adequate.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    Hey Spectre, the Spiro's just tend to break down more often than the others. The hatch is more convenient, but it is easier to breath through the front of the face piece of the others. Other than those things, I find the Spiro's adequate.

I hated thoses things with all my heart, but thats me. Im sure the work great of others I just cant stand them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Interspiro? Oh GAWD - wait till you expose them to a desert environment and sandstorms. We had numerous packs break - not from abuse, just fatigue of plastic parts. One firefighter had his pack fall off his back INSIDE a training fire. His mask stayed on, but the pack was on the floor. We found the plastic parts holding the straps together fell apart. Interspiro was notified, and they said "oh yeah - we're working on that." Now I will say we aquired some newer model Interspiros in Iraq, and they seemed more strudy, had METAL hardware, but the mask was still a pain in the ***** to repair

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
    Interspiro? Oh GAWD - wait till you expose them to a desert environment and sandstorms. We had numerous packs break - not from abuse, just fatigue of plastic parts. One firefighter had his pack fall off his back INSIDE a training fire. His mask stayed on, but the pack was on the floor. We found the plastic parts holding the straps together fell apart. Interspiro was notified, and they said "oh yeah - we're working on that." Now I will say we aquired some newer model Interspiros in Iraq, and they seemed more strudy, had METAL hardware, but the mask was still a pain in the ***** to repair
    ...not to mention how horrible it is when you have to clean everything out from all the dust. it's amazing how much dirt i got inside the spirohatch after an exercise in kuwait.

Thread Information