Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Help on truck value

We have a pumper that was purchased new in 1952 and was hoping someone could give us an idea of the value of the truck. It is a 1951 Ford chassis and the pump is a high pressure John Beam unit. It is still a 6 volt system and the body is rough. It did run 3 years ago when we put it in storage. We are trying to figure out what it would cost to fix up the truck for parades or the value of selling it as is. Any help would be appreciated.

More info needed, along with pics of all 4 sides. Give us the following:
    -Engine and tranny info (size, etc.) How "rough" did it run? Did it have and maintain oil pressure? Did it blow smoke? How about the tranny and clutch? Any noises? Condition?

-Mileage?

-How bad is the rust? Coming through compartments? Wheel wells? Cab floors?

-How/where was it stored? Outside with no cover? Under a non-breathable tarp (that trapped in moisture and accellerated the oxidation process?) Under a breathable tarp? In a garage? In a barn?

Not to get you down or anything, just telling it like it is- I like to think I have a pretty good handle on antiques and restorations. I own and operate a 1958 F.W.D. Model F-725 750GPM Pumper. Member of SPAAMFAA, ATCA and ATHS. If it is a standard old Ford/FMC-John Bean, chances are you may not get very much money for it, especially if it is in bad condition. You have to set a sentimental value on it in order to anticipate restoration costs- in other words, how much is it worth to your organization historically? Lots? Never sell it in a million years because its the first truck yor company ever owned?? (just as an example.) If so, you can anticipate spending well over $10,000 dollars for a basic restoration, and thats with you doing all the work. I am just talking materials, parts and paint!

Again, if it is an "average" dime-a-dozen Ford/FMC and you guys dont really think it is super important to restore it, you can take chances selling it on eBay, which may or may not get you a decent price, or take it to the scrap man. Another suggestion would be advertise it for sale in Hemmings Motor News, or the ATHS and/or ATCA publications.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information. I am giving to the powers that be and letting them decide.

Thread Information