Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In Need Of Help

Question In Need Of Help

I am new here on the forums and glad to be here

Anyhow I need some help with our Volunteers at our FD. We just staffed 2 stations with Paid FF not long ago and had 30 Volunteers when I came on the FD, When we did the hiring for Fulltime FFís , The Volunteers shortly started to drop, Anyhow now we are down to 9 Volunteers (some got hired) and now the Volunteers has to put in 48 hrs in a month. Here is a copy of a email I sent to my Capt.

Some of this will be delegated to cover up my Department

" We had a structure fire on Jan 16 around 9 - 9:30pm. I was at for class when it got toned out and after class I went to for stand by for other calls with . After command was terminated, I called over to to see if they all was over there cleaning up, I told that I was on my way over to to help them clean up and help them get back in service. When I got over there I seen showed up. Out of 8 Volunteers only 2 showed up. I have seen this since we went to the 36 hrs to the 48 hrs a month hardly any volunteers been showing up for calls.

To myself it looks like thatís all the Volunteers want to do is just show up for there time and thatís it.
    I just feel like the Volunteers is on the department just for the free training, To me thatís just wrong on there part. It is more to this job then free training. When we hire more Volunteers on the department, I feel as a Volunteer it is all of the Volunteers job to show a good example for the District. Showing up just for there time isnít . I guess the Volunteers doesnít have the love for the job as I do. This is why I want on the Volunteer Board. I think I can do some good on the Volunteer Board.

It just makes me mad when I show up and no one else shows up. Here I am busting my butt putting my 48 hrs in, Working, and going through fire I&II class and still make it to the station or making a truck.

As a Volunteer, How can I go forward to get the Volunteers to start showing up for calls?

I will be around tomorrow sometime and we can talk more about this "

Like i said in the email
    " As a Volunteer, How can I go forward to get the Volunteers to start showing up for calls? "
    How can i?

Any help is needed here

Not for nothing, but if you are paying people, why would everyone else want to show up and do the same work for free? Sorry, but human nature will come into play.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I forgot to put in that we are a Fulltime and Paid Volunteer Department

MembersZone Subscriber

They do twelve hours a week of shift duty? Is that two six hour shifts, or three four-hour shifts, or something like that? That's a lot of time for a volunteer to devote - far more than ours do.

Devoting 48 hours of every month to station coverage is something your volunteers should be thanked for. You go above and beyond the call of duty and help a lot of other times too. Good for you, now stop whining. Be proud of what you do, but that doesn't mean that you have to look down on those who don't do it.

Two out of eight is really not bad showing for a call. How old are these other volunteers? Do they have families? Work other jobs? There are lots of reasons for not responding to a call - had a couple of beers, feeling sick, child is sick, you're out of town... Of over twenty in our department, four or five to the station for a call is par for the course.

Anyway, my main point - take pride in what you do, but don't cop that "holier-than-thou" attitude toward people who don't give as much as you.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

This has been going on far awhile now. The other volunteers was coming up for calls when the volunteers had to do 10% of calls a month Now sence we went to the 36 hrs to the 48 hrs a month, No volunteers shows up, just to do there time that's it. The volunteers can do 6,12,24 hr shifts. The other volunteers is not married,no kids and the age is from 20's on up. Below is two screenshot of the Policies and Procedures.

I am just asking what can i do as a volunteer to get the to start showing up for calls like they was before
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterBULL
    This has been going on far awhile now. The other volunteers was coming up for calls when the volunteers had to do 10% of calls a month Now sence we went to the 36 hrs to the 48 hrs a month, No volunteers shows up, just to do there time that's it. The volunteers can do 6,12,24 hr shifts. The other volunteers is not married,no kids and the age is from 20's on up. Below is two screenshot of the Policies and Procedures.

I am just asking what can i do as a volunteer to get the to start showing up for calls like they was before
    Depending on call volume, it looks like some members may have more points for their training and longevity than on calls. So even thou they are not "putting in the hours", they are still massing enough points to get by. The company officers should be taking care of the particulars. If you are not one of those officers, I don't see you being able to change things right now. All I would do is keep showing up and set a good example for the other volunteers that have been there a short time. Good luck and stay safe!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

We dealt with a similar situation in my department. We went from 100% volunteer to 100% career over a 3 year period. During the transition we lost many volunteers as well. Most of it due to pride. One thing that is difficult is as soon as you start paying career people for the same job that volunteers do egos get hurt. Another issue is that you create 2 levels of service. While volunteers provide a great service and i am not by any means "knocking" volunteers, career personel provide a more efficent service. The reason being is when you do something repeatedly your profiency increases. Like I said I am not knocking volunteers because I have seen many volunteer departments that function like career departments. But the point is when you start combining career and volunteers people get upset and retention becomes very difficult. The one benefit to a combo department is recruiting young members. It is easy to draw younger members fresh out of school on a combo department because they fell that there is a great chance to learn and maybe get hired on that department.

Thread Information