Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Reel Tec Booster Hose

Just bought 100 ft of Reel Tec Booster Hose to add to my 150 ft on the reel. I sure like how light it is compaired to the Rubber High Pressure stuff. 15-20 lbs for 100 ft compaired to around 125 lbs empty for 150 ft makes it nice for draging it around full of water. I don't like the way it kinks on the first wrap hooking to the reel but added to the first section the wrap is big enought that it lays right. Mark H.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking It's All Yours.................

I have a type 6, and it has a reel with 150 ft. of old style Red line. But, I don't use it very often. I made some "Adjustments" in the plumbing, and added some 1 inch discharges, which feed 1 inch preconnected lines. I usually pull the 200 ft. line, since it seems to reach most of where I want to get to quickly. The nozzles are Combination nozzles attached to ball shutoffs so if a line comes up short, I can add more line, but I don't have to run back to the truck to turn the water off and on. Probably not very many people carry 2,000 feet of hose on a type 6, but I do. And, as a result, I get a lot more work done than most other units.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

If the hose you are talking about is a lightweight rigid hose about the weight of regular hose then I've used it. Its not bad stuff but it is no where as tough as the rubber line, hotspots and cactus will blow it easily and its hard to get it fire replaced. We were playing with it a little but after blowing a couple lengths of it we stopped using it. I liked it but it was a pain to get replaced, expensive and really didn't give us anything over regular hose.

You can load regular synthetic hose on the reel, its lighter than the hardline, cheaper and easier to replace than the reel tec type hose. You just need to have water in the line when you roll it up, usually 25-50psi, too much pressure and you'll burst the hose, not enough and it won't very work well but play with it a little and you'll figure it out, it not hard just takes some practice. I've been doing this on hose reels for years and it works great. It is a common practice here, or at least it is on USFS engines in California.

Forum Member

On my type 5 i have 100ft of of the hard rubber hose. i am thiinking of swaping it out thei year ..

Forum Member

Default I do have Flat hose hooked up to

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    I have a type 6, and it has a reel with 150 ft. of old style Red line. But, I don't use it very often. I made some "Adjustments" in the plumbing, and added some 1 inch discharges, which feed 1 inch preconnected lines. I usually pull the 200 ft. line, since it seems to reach most of where I want to get to quickly. The nozzles are Combination nozzles attached to ball shutoffs so if a line comes up short, I can add more line, but I don't have to run back to the truck to turn the water off and on. Probably not very many people carry 2,000 feet of hose on a type 6, but I do. And, as a result, I get a lot more work done than most other units.
    I also keep a 100 ft each of 1.5" and a 1" Flat hose hooked up for fast deploy use. Comes in handy when needed. I found that when your by yourself it is a real strain to pull in a heavy reel hose when it is all the way out. That reel Tec rolled up quick when I was using it befor. I still have 150 ft of regular line on my reel just the first 100 ft coming off is reel tec. Mark H.

Forum Member

Default Reel Tec is cheaper to buy

Quote Originally Posted by ncbrush6
    On my type 5 i have 100ft of of the hard rubber hose. i am thiinking of swaping it out thei year ..
    It is cheaper to buy then regular hose. They recomend at least a 12" inside dia on the reel for the first wraps. If it isn't the hose will kink on the first lay off the reel fitting. Mark H.

Forum Member

Default Never thought about charging the line first

Quote Originally Posted by NonSurfinCaFF
    If the hose you are talking about is a lightweight rigid hose about the weight of regular hose then I've used it. Its not bad stuff but it is no where as tough as the rubber line, hotspots and cactus will blow it easily and its hard to get it fire replaced. We were playing with it a little but after blowing a couple lengths of it we stopped using it. I liked it but it was a pain to get replaced, expensive and really didn't give us anything over regular hose.

You can load regular synthetic hose on the reel, its lighter than the hardline, cheaper and easier to replace than the reel tec type hose. You just need to have water in the line when you roll it up, usually 25-50psi, too much pressure and you'll burst the hose, not enough and it won't very work well but play with it a little and you'll figure it out, it not hard just takes some practice. I've been doing this on hose reels for years and it works great. It is a common practice here, or at least it is on USFS engines in California.
    Never thought about charging the flat hose then rolling it up on the reel. I might try that some time on our other brush trucks in our VFD once. I do like the fact you can replace the ends on Reel Tec with a allen wrench and re/use them again. Your right it is not as tough as the other type but man it sure is a lot lighter to drag. Figuring 100 lbs less (empty) then regular hose makes a difference at the end of the day! When I am using the hose reel on the tender it is for washing Helicopters or weting down areas for dust reasons so it has to be moved a lot and pulled out a long ways by myself. So I like a hose that weights less than I do full of water! Mark

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Had Reel Tec hose.... now have standard booster hose.

Wouldnt hold up, punctured easily, kinked and was a general pain in the rear.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Thread Information