Forum Member

Default For people considering being a military FF....something you should know

Holy **** when I found this out I about **** a brick. I wish somebody had told me, I could have saved alot of time.

So here it is.

If you already have certs, you can test out of certain parts of tech school

If you have ---- you can test out of....
    EMT-B ---- Block I, First Responder, 7 days
    FF1 ---- Block II, Principles of fire, 7 days
    FF2 ---- Block III, Structural firefighting fundimentals, 18 days
    Haz-mat ops--- Block V, Haz-mat ops, 7 days

so, that means all you have left to do are Block IV, 13 days, and Block IV, 12 days.

Those are the only two blocks where you actually get to do burns. So you show up, do your burns, and leave. Over and finished with a 3+ month tech school in a little over 3 weeks, not even enough time to phase up to phase 3.

So, if you know you're gonna be in DEP for a long *** time and need something to do, just go ahead and start getting your certs.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

To be honest though you can not, I had FF I & II, Haz-mat OPS and NREMT-B and I still had to go to each block. It sucks but the Air Force wants you trained their way.

Forum Member

We had a guy who started with my class who had all his certs and did it. Well, sort off. He started to then it came out that he was color blind and he got disqualified completly before he could finish.

But according to all of the instructors that have chimed in on the subject with us it is possible.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by total20303
    To be honest though you can not, I had FF I & II, Haz-mat OPS and NREMT-B and I still had to go to each block. It sucks but the Air Force wants you trained their way.

I dont know about that. We had a gal in my class she was AF. She had her FF I and II so they just pushed her right into the air craft part of it.

Forum Member

It's possible and does happen, under certain conditions. If you show up at the school with IFSAC certifications, you can be accelerated to the next block. I have had 3 members of my unit do this, and know of others. Two had to do Hazmat Ops and ARFF, the other ARFF only. The difference is probably that they were all reservists, NCOs, and career firefighters. I have heard of them letting E-1s challenge the tests, but they don't believe every 19 yr old who did 6 months as a volunteer FF should get a free pass.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    It's possible and does happen, under certain conditions. If you show up at the school with IFSAC certifications, you can be accelerated to the next block. I have had 3 members of my unit do this, and know of others. Two had to do Hazmat Ops and ARFF, the other ARFF only. The difference is probably that they were all reservists, NCOs, and career firefighters. I have heard of them letting E-1s challenge the tests, but they don't believe every 19 yr old who did 6 months as a volunteer FF should get a free pass.
    I'd hardly call it a free pass. I don't know first hand, but I hear the tests you have to challenge are pretty damn hard. And even if you take all the possible tests that you can, you still have to do block IV and block VI, which are the only places where they actually test your skills and make sure that you're compitent as a firefighter. You basicly just skip the academic stuff and the "this is a ladder, this is a hose" stuff.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Block IV is covered by having FF II, so, like I said, the guys I know only had to do V and VI. Block VI has lots of burns, but it is ARFF, and not comparable to structural firefighting. The key is that those who were allowed to test out were experienced career firefighters.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    Block IV is covered by having FF II, so, like I said, the guys I know only had to do V and VI. Block VI has lots of burns, but it is ARFF, and not comparable to structural firefighting. The key is that those who were allowed to test out were experienced career firefighters.
    Huh, that's interesting. I could have sworn I remember SFC. Finley saying that even with FFII you would have to do block IV. Maybe the guy in our class didn't have FFII.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Hi,

I had "Certs", but decided to attend the whole academy anyway. Glad I did. It was a good refresher and I had a great time and made serveral more friends. You can never learn too much. Each class you take makes you a better firefighter. Take care and stay safe!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Hopefully they 'cured' the part where they 'pushed' people thru. We got SEVERAL people out of school that either didn't know squat about ARFF or couldn't even drag the rescue dummy down a waxed hallway.

I had several buddies as instructors there. OH the horror stories. But I stayed on the base for a couple days on my drive out to Pendleton and it was cool. (Well, 110 in early May)

MembersZone Subscriber

wow i think you hit the nail on the head when you said pushing them through. I am 4th block day 15 and they just washed out 2 people and washed back a third person. They also washed out my other room mate who was in sixth block. so thats 3 people in one day that got washed out.

Forum Member

yeah, they're washing people back like crazy now days. We started with 15 people, we're down to 9. We went down to 9, then picked up 1, then lost another one.

Anyways, on the original topic, there was a student who just got here a few days ago. 2 days after he started block I he tested out of everything but block 6. He's been here 2 weeks and he's in block 6 now.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

MembersZone Subscriber

So with all of this being said. Somebody like myself who is already a NR-EMT, Fire I and II, Haz mat and ARFF certified could pretty much skip the entire tech school. Wouldnt that be fun.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 12TruckIrons
    So with all of this being said. Somebody like myself who is already a NR-EMT, Fire I and II, Haz mat and ARFF certified could pretty much skip the entire tech school. Wouldnt that be fun.
    That's affirmative. But they have to be IFSAC certs, and you'll have to submit them to DoD for reciprocity. The Training Chief should know how to do that, and how to get your MOS changed to reflect it.

Thread Information