MembersZone Subscriber

Default What's your take on this?

Just got through reading this article...

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=46983

I was just kind of wondering everyone else's opinion on this situation. I think it would have been very hard not to do exactly what he did in the situation, and I like to think I would have. But after reading the article and the city's response...I just don't know. It just doesn't seem right what is going on.

DJ

Forum Member

It would be hard not to have done what he did. We're all here to help ! But I think it would come down to a public liabilty and insurance risk.

Forum Member

I think his city leaders suck.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

The city abandoned this guy. I'd like to think that any one of us would have done the same thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

What strikes me about this is PTSD is something you'd likely go to your Employee Assistance Program for, right? Kind of a confidential psyche issue that could be handled in that manner? And while I'm sure that the incident that happened at the nightclub is the bulk of what's causing his problems, any number of incidents that occurred while he was on duty could have added to it. Isn't the EAP stuff somewhat confidential as far as that goes? I wonder how the beans were spilled if that's how things went down.

I wish I had all of the details, but I'm not comfortable with what happened, especially since an officer who knew who he was ordered him to man a line.

Forum Member

I admire the guy, I've seen an uncut video of this fire at a class I went to, and can see where his stress comes from. The thing that bug's me is, and I'm assuming that this is a large dept, what officer in his right mind would put someone on a frontline hose with no gear, I don't care who you are. I know this is not what the argurment is about, but it sure stands out to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

If the coppers are always considered "on duty", then why not firefighters?

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

The only precedent this will set is off-duty FF's turning a cold shoulder on someone in need. It's an issue of dollars and cents. His city doesn't want to pay-up for what happened to him. What's going to generate more negative press, "off-duty" personnel that chose not to help when he could have saved a life but didn't because if he got hurt he wouldn't be given any benefits or a city that won't pay a guy who helped "off-duty?" The problem lies in that the city of the guy that doesn't help is going to say that he should have and hang him out to dry anyway. It's a bum deal no matter how the issue is approached.
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

Forum Member

Default Be careful of EAP...

You really must be careful of departmentally run EAP programs - I was utilizing it for over three years, and when an on-the-job incident occurred that eventually cost me my job, not only were they nowhere to be found, but the EAP counselor actually provided very negative testimony not only to an examining doctor but also produced negative comments and evidence (derived from private, supposedly confidential sessions with her) to the Department's lawyers which was used in the arbitration against me. And would the City's response have been any different if he had been claiming some disabling injury from his off duty actions? Doesn't their exposure end when the uniform comes off?
    Last edited by CDean867; 01-19-2006 at 07:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

One thing for sure - us volunteers are ALWAYS on duty.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information