MembersZone Subscriber

Could have been either but I assure you, when it happens as a truckie puts his hook into the ceiling you get a top floor full of asses and elbows.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    Thank you Art!!!

You don't see dramatic changes in fire behavior that often. And when you do, I'm thinking you want to recognize what it means right away, cause it probably wasn't good...

Would've that been triggered by the venting (letting air get to the superheated fire gases...), or was it just ready to go and a coincidence? Or not being there, could've been either?
    Could have been to due lack of verticle ventilation in that area of the cockloft, in combination with pulling the ceiling but that's just a guess. I can't tell by the pictures if they have anybody on the roof of exposure 4 yet.

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

First of all, I'm gonna type RRREEAALL SSLLOOWWW, I don't wanna lose you ENGINE GUYS as I'm tryin' to explain this.......

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    BOOOOOO......then there's was no need to be on the roof.....
    Of course there's a need for TRUCKIES to be on the roof, it gives those hose draggin' fools a role model to look up to......

Besides....did you see them run when the flames got big..... It never fails......fire meets you in the hall....or at the door...and truckies scatter like roaches when the lights turn on......
    What you are actually seeing is the shadows of the EAGLES soaring into the HEAT of BATTLE above you!!!!!

WTF!?!?!...there's not even an ocean in Nevada....nor are they even close to one...... ...serioulsy though...how did you come up with that name?
    Sure there is, we call it California. And when it falls into the Pacific on that so called "big one", I'll have beach front property. The "RED SHARK" is the flame that shoots up through your saw cut as you are making your ventilation hole, as seen several times in the video.

LOL...the only thing truckies fine tune are the remote controls for the TV and fluffing pillows before they go toes up.....
    Hey, we can even memorize all the scores from ESPN in a single blink. Therefore multi-tasking. Not like those plug bunnies who can only handle one thing at a time.....hence "put the wet stuff on the red stuff"

Sure......Firemen are Enginemen....they actually "fight" the fire and extinguish it.....
    If you guys are so good, how come there's so much of that "red stuff" comin' out of the hole we just cut???

Braking chops is fun ain't it......ain't this the best job of all.....well...except maybe for a plastic surgeon in Hollywood......naaaa....this is still better......
    You got that right, probably one of the few jobs in the world where we can bust chops and still like each other when it's done. Actually, I could moonlight as a photographer for Victoria's Secret.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasFTO
    First of all, I'm gonna type RRREEAALL SSLLOOWWW, I don't wanna lose you ENGINE GUYS as I'm tryin' to explain this....... [
    Huh....you lost me there...?

Of course there's a need for TRUCKIES to be on the roof, it gives those hose draggin' fools a role model to look up to......
    HEY!....is that some kind of short joke? Are you implying that Engine men are short?

What you are actually seeing is the shadows of the EAGLES soaring into the HEAT of BATTLE above you!!!!!
    Eagles? More like Chicken Little.......

Sure there is, we call it California. And when it falls into the Pacific on that so called "big one", I'll have beach front property.
    Tooshay!

The "RED SHARK" is the flame that shoots up through your saw cut as you are making your ventilation hole, as seen several times in the video.
    I usually only see a orange glow and black stuff.........then after a few seconds of opening the line.....I don't see anything....especially truckies.....

Hey, we can even memorize all the scores from ESPN in a single blink. Therefore multi-tasking. Not like those plug bunnies who can only handle one thing at a time.....hence "put the wet stuff on the red stuff"
    But yet you still find the energy to screw up the meal and forget to do the committee work.....(FH chores in NYC).....

If you guys are so good, how come there's so much of that "red stuff" comin' out of the hole we just cut???
    To scare you truckies...... So you have something to tell the wife about. It helps with your frail egos......

You got that right, probably one of the few jobs in the world where we can bust chops and still like each other when it's done. Actually, I could moonlight as a photographer for Victoria's Secret.....
    OH MAN!!!! I forgot about that one! That has to be the LUCKIEST dude on the planet....next to the Playboy Photoman......I gotta' start my own modeling agency.......I can see it now....."how was work"..."Oh horrible, I went to 3 fires today, had a great meal, many laughs, then after work....I took picture of hot women in thier skiviees....."......I going right now to search online for photographers courses.....
    Last edited by VinnieB; 01-20-2006 at 01:28 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer....sorry....I am a fireman...not a teacher...

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dalmatian190,

I am not an expert and please do not confuse me for one. Everyday is learning experience. I agree with E229Lt and erics99.

As the fire grows, it is drawing in all available cool, fresh air from the area and building, therefore creating a negative pressure. As the crews enter the building, this opening up of doors and possibly windows allows even more cool, fresh air to suddenly rush to the fire area (either through stairwells, elevator shafts or other voids), therefore creating a positive pressure effect and a sudden expansion of the superheated gases and smoke.

Fortunately this "expansion" was vented through the windows on the top floor instead of through a weak wall.

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dude, you're killin' me. It only took you 22 minutes to post a reply, kinda like that pit bull waiting around the corner for the kid who just walked away from the ice cream truck.

Eagles? More like Chicken Little.......
    Even he was FAMOUS

But yet you still find the energy to screw up the meal and forget to do the committee work.....(FH chores in NYC).....
    Is that before or after I tell you I forgot my wallet and don't have any money to chip into the chow fund??

To scare you truckies...... So you have something to tell the wife about. It helps with your frail egos......
    It's more like "honey, I don't know how those guys on the engine can get by without us, just last night they requested us to assist them on a garbage can fire because they couldn't get the lid open"...............

OH MAN!!!! I forgot about that one! That has to be the LUCKIEST dude on the planet....next to the Playboy Photoman......I gotta' start my own modeling agency.......I can see it now....."how was work"..."Oh horrible, I went to 3 fires today, had a great meal, many laughs, then after work....I took picture of hot women in thier skiviees....."......I going right now to search online for photographers courses.....
    Whadya mean?? Sounds to me like it should be a partnership. I wouldn't even ask for a paycheck, just buy me lunch and I'm ready to go.....Heck, we could probably get a few guys (and gals??) from this forum to help (somebody has do the scheduling) !!! Why bother with a course, I'm sure we could handle digital photography (just aim and shoot).......
    Last edited by LasVegasFTO; 01-20-2006 at 02:26 AM.

Forum Member

Well, im sure a trip down to the beach would get us a few willing models.
    I will be the talent scout for you guys.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Permanently Removed

Ummm...excuse me. Isnt this thread getting kinda lame?

Proud Dad.

Talking No way this is great

CALFFBOU, this has to be one of the more interesting threads in a while. Through the course of this thread we got to see
    A) how you guys out west do truck work w/them funny looking helmets. (VinnieB, do ya think they'll ever become "COOL" enough to wear leather?)
    B) listen to a different rendition of burning ring of fire.
    C) @ no point throughout the course of this thread did I read, about how anyone was doing anything wrong....read no critiquing of any of the video.
    D) Finally got to understand indepth the thought process of what a trucky is thinking when he see's flame (oh god where is the water? crap I ain't got any where is the hose jockey?)

So yea it's been great. Plus what better way to stay awake the by reading this funny stuff.

Thank you.
    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/co50ffyetter/New%20Rescue5-1/th_Rescue51.jpg
    Yes the rigs are green. Can't lose a green fire engine in a parade, right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    ...I do question the reasoning of having men on some of the roofs shown in the video. Looked to me like there were some future parking lots and the risk vs. benefit just didnt add up. Call me a pu**y or whatever you want, but would YOU like to be up on top of a bowstring truss ....
    I agree MIKELIKESIT. You aren't a pu$$y. You -- and your crew -- want to go home at the end.

Don't be bullied by the macho bull$hit of guys who say they'd go up there.

I wonder what BillyG ( at http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/ ) would say.

If you guys don't yet subscribe to the "Secret List", consider doing so.

Forum Member

If you know me, you knoiw I am not a "Safety Sally". However, I am not a big fan of hospitals. I am not a ducker, but there happen to be times when even your best day just isnt enough. So it's better to change your plan. I think the footage itself is quite awesome. I also know that L.A. firefighters know their stuff. If we look at the stats, not a ton of guys are dying from going through a roof. But it happens. In 1985 on a frigid Chicago night ,three firemen were killed and another horribly burned when the roof they were operating on collapsed. It was a two-story ordinary constructed store. It made quite an impression on me as a young fireman. One year ago a friend of mine was hurt pretty badly by going through a roof. It happens and sometimes it happens when you least expect it. But I ask again, would YOU send someone up on a bowstring truss roof, with heavy fire underneath? Would you feel comfortable operating on such a roof under those conditions?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

.. I ask again, would YOU send someone up on a bowstring truss roof, with heavy fire underneath? Would you feel comfortable operating on such a roof under those conditions?
    I have been in the Fire Service for over 20 years, with over 12 as a Lt. Granted I am a volunteer -- so those of you who differentiate between volunteer, career, etc go ahead and vent -- but God gave me a brain and I can learn from others' mistakes and successes.

So, the anwer is no. I would not send someone up on a bowstring truss roof, with heavy fire underneath, nor would I feel comfortable operating on such a roof under those conditions.

Forum Member

Oh and yes the footage is awsome.

Forum Member

Fire is the one thing in the fire service that dosent take a position on the career/volunteer issues .
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Fire is the one thing in the fire service that dosent take a position on the career/volunteer issues .
    Amen, Brother. It does not discriminate on who it kills or maims.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by enginerider50
    CALFFBOU, this has to be one of the more interesting threads in a while. Through the course of this thread we got to see
    A) how you guys out west do truck work w/them funny looking helmets. (VinnieB, do ya think they'll ever become "COOL" enough to wear leather?)
    B) listen to a different rendition of burning ring of fire.
    C) @ no point throughout the course of this thread did I read, about how anyone was doing anything wrong....read no critiquing of any of the video.
    Ok, ok...

A) Those helmets have been around for over 20 years. They arent funnny, they work really well. I know many guys who dumped their "cool looking" leathers for a more functional Phenix.
    B) Yes, Social Distortion does rock. They are my fav. band. Thank you!
    C) Thanks for going easy on the LA City boys. They do know ventilation and do it right.

Remember, this video is just small samples of the entire incident.

Forum Member

I was just curious, I know this was brought up in the thread about this video in its shorter format but is there any way to capture this and save it to my computer in some video format (.mpg, .mov, .avi)? Thanks for posting it by the way bou

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOUA
    Those helmets have been around for over 20 years. They arent funnny,
    Yes they are!

Forum Member

Okay, i might wear tactical tupperware, but those helmets are just too much.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    Was that the scene where he grabbed the handline and cooled off the aerial tip? He like pulled that handline out of no where.
    That would be the one in question.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Yes they are!
    Put one on, go fight a large fire and get back to me. They wear those helmets for function, not based on "looking cool".

Forum Member

yawn! s-t-r-e-t-c-h yawn!
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Forum Member

So, the anwer is no. I would not send someone up on a bowstring truss roof, with heavy fire underneath, nor would I feel comfortable operating on such a roof under those conditions.

First off - video is great. Bou - let us know when this is on cd! Mike Bowstring roofs are predictable to a point. You definetly need training on what signs to look for, but also pre planning and proper size up also helps. Hate to back seat quarterback - but these guys have been doing the job, and doing it well for a while. LA isnt the only dept. that operates like this - they just have the video to make the rest of us jealous. From the look of those guys at work - they looked confident in what they were doing! Good job guys!
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by LAFDPSO
    yawn! s-t-r-e-t-c-h yawn!
    Brian- Figures when your name is plastered across the screen. How are you bro? Long time, no see.

Take care, Brett

Forum Member

The video rocked.
    The tune rocked.
    Brett...nice find!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information