Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by enginerider50
    CALFFBOU, this has to be one of the more interesting threads in a while. Through the course of this thread we got to see
    A) how you guys out west do truck work w/them funny looking helmets. (VinnieB, do ya think they'll ever become "COOL" enough to wear leather?)
    B) listen to a different rendition of burning ring of fire.
    C) @ no point throughout the course of this thread did I read, about how anyone was doing anything wrong....read no critiquing of any of the video.
    Ok, ok...

A) Those helmets have been around for over 20 years. They arent funnny, they work really well. I know many guys who dumped their "cool looking" leathers for a more functional Phenix.
    B) Yes, Social Distortion does rock. They are my fav. band. Thank you!
    C) Thanks for going easy on the LA City boys. They do know ventilation and do it right.

Remember, this video is just small samples of the entire incident.

Forum Member

I was just curious, I know this was brought up in the thread about this video in its shorter format but is there any way to capture this and save it to my computer in some video format (.mpg, .mov, .avi)? Thanks for posting it by the way bou

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOUA
    Those helmets have been around for over 20 years. They arent funnny,
    Yes they are!

Okay, i might wear tactical tupperware, but those helmets are just too much.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    Was that the scene where he grabbed the handline and cooled off the aerial tip? He like pulled that handline out of no where.
    That would be the one in question.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Yes they are!
    Put one on, go fight a large fire and get back to me. They wear those helmets for function, not based on "looking cool".

Forum Member

yawn! s-t-r-e-t-c-h yawn!
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Forum Member

So, the anwer is no. I would not send someone up on a bowstring truss roof, with heavy fire underneath, nor would I feel comfortable operating on such a roof under those conditions.

First off - video is great. Bou - let us know when this is on cd! Mike Bowstring roofs are predictable to a point. You definetly need training on what signs to look for, but also pre planning and proper size up also helps. Hate to back seat quarterback - but these guys have been doing the job, and doing it well for a while. LA isnt the only dept. that operates like this - they just have the video to make the rest of us jealous. From the look of those guys at work - they looked confident in what they were doing! Good job guys!
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Quote Originally Posted by LAFDPSO
    yawn! s-t-r-e-t-c-h yawn!
    Brian- Figures when your name is plastered across the screen. How are you bro? Long time, no see.

Take care, Brett

The video rocked.
    The tune rocked.
    Brett...nice find!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by PattyV
    Okay, i might wear tactical tupperware, but those helmets are just too much.
    Have you ever tried one on? Moreover gone to a major working incident wearing one.

If you notice in the video, they are doing some major active firefighting and never stop to re-adjust their helmets. Or you dont see them falling side to side like other heavier head buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    The video rocked.
    The tune rocked.
    Brett...nice find!
    Thanks Gonzos! *non-sexual guy hug*

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelsDad
    So, the anwer is no. I would not send someone up on a bowstring truss roof, with heavy fire underneath, nor would I feel comfortable operating on such a roof under those conditions.
    I agree completely. We take risks every time the bell rings, it's the nature of what we do. But there are some situations that just cry out "potential killer". A well involved structure with bowstring trusses is certainly one of them!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    Brian- Figures when your name is plastered across the screen. How are you bro? Long time, no see.

Take care, Brett
    Brother Brett,

Thanks for the note. All is well. As usual, much interest in this particular video footage, which has been around for a long time but becomes more well known over time via word of mouth.

While some might consider that a good thing, my already overflowing e-mail and phones now brim with requests, questions - and sadly, those who somehow feel they need to engage me over what they see in the video.

I know I've got one of them on the phone as soon as they ask me to "justify" what they've seen in an "LAFD Training Video" on the internet.

Justify? Training Video?

A Firefighter called this morning (7AM Sunday morning our time, 10AM theirs) and as I wiped the sleep from my eyes, tried to pass the phone around the room at his Fire Station. You guessed it, 20 questions each from lads who would better spend their time drilling for what they might actually encounter that day than trying to tell me how awesome/awful the LAFD is.

I knew we were not speaking on the same plane when I politely turned the tables and asked them about the "truck work" on their Department. The first reply from their Chief, after a brief pause, was that their truck "probably works the same as yours".

Seeking clarification, it seems that they are a Fire Department without any aerial ladder or roof operations... which of course, makes one wonder about the phone call in the first place.

FWIW, I've gots tens of hours of footage in our office archives that would put video that to shame, but sadly no time to seek permission to distribute it, much less view, edit and package it.

Oh well, maybe someday.

Stay Safe,

Brian
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

LAFDSO,
    Sorry you are getting an inbox full of BS from a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks. You probaly have it narrowed down, a bunch of 1 horse vollies that wouldn't know truck ops if it bit them in the *****. It is amazing how quickly people will tear apart a department over 30 seconds of video or a picture on this site.
    OK, done venting...
    As for those stating "I would never send my guys on a bowstring roof", well good for you. But are you absolutely sure what that crew is on is a bowstring roof before you jump on your high horse and criticize? Beleive it or not, there are a few other types of roof construction that of an arch design.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum
    As for those stating "I would never send my guys on a bowstring roof", well good for you. But are you absolutely sure what that crew is on is a bowstring roof before you jump on your high horse and criticize? Beleive it or not, there are a few other types of roof construction that of an arch design.
    Whoa there...

If you read my comment carefully, you will find no reference to "that crew".

I simply stated that I would not put "a" crew (as in my crew) on a bowstring truss roof with heavy fire below. Just too dangerous! And that is coming from a guy that considers himself an aggressive firefighter. Aggressive however, doesn't necessarily mean foolish.

What was the arched roof construction type in the video anyway? I can't be absolutely sure just from the outside. Can you?

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Calm down Rum. I didnt realize having a little chat about a video constituted "tearing apart a department". Some of us have been on a roof once or twice before and even been in a few fires as well.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

The bad thing about a video, such as this one is all the criticism that follows it. Why do we need to criticize it?
    Here are the facts that I see, there is a great sounding band, which happened to turn a COUNTRY song into something worthwhile, and then they put that sound to a video with some firemen doing work. I do not believe that it was touted anywhere as an example of anything that should, or should not be done. It is snippets of video, parts of an incident only. There was a lot of smoke, plenty of fire, not to mention some dead on tillering, the way it was meant to be done.

This does however, bring us to the helmets; they very much are funny looking. I am sure they are very functional, and I feel they should keep them. Those helmets are what I would consider “traditional” for the west coast. I do not picture the LAFD in leather; those helmets are what I always envision them wearing, nothing wrong with that. I just would not want to wear them here.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45

This does however, bring us to the helmets; they very much are funny looking. I just would not want to wear them here.
    Or ANYWHERE for that matter!

Just kidding (kinda)! I do agree that they would look strange in "traditional" lids. They are instantly identifiable as West Coaster's with them. I too am sure they are very functional. Very much funny looking, but functional!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

That was a great video and to h#$( with the arm chair quarterbacks that wouldnt know there arse from a whole in the ground.

Anyway great job bro

Thread Information