Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Minneapolis FD Is Accepting Applications

Minneapolis FD is accepting applications through Saturday, January 21. You must pickup the application and return it in person.

More information is available here.

I've herd that their going to be hiring 40 people all together and 4000 are expected to test. they are going to take the top 180 from the written on to the physical test.

I don't like those numbers...

MembersZone Subscriber

Just talked to another FF on my department he said that he was talking to a captain who said they are going to be hiring around 100 because an additional 40 are now looking at retiriing this year. Ill dig up what I can to try and find out this info and if its reliable.

MembersZone Subscriber variable1's Avatar

I picked up my application on tuesday. I found out by word of mouth, but how is the city advertising? I did not find anything in the Star Tribune or on the city employment website. The only thing I have heard is a commercial on B96.

The numbers dont look good, but 100 would be much better
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

I just looked and it is now posted on the city's website, but still no ad in the Star Tribune.
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't worry about the competition. Become the best prepared candidate you can and you will be successful. It's been my experience that only about 10% of the candidates on any given exam are "serious" competition.

Control what you can control.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good Luck.....But

A very reliable source informed me that Minneapolis will only be hiring around 30-40 applicants off this list. They are also really looking for minorities who are residets of minneapolis. He did not know how many would test but he did say there will be a lot. The reason you havn't heard or seen it avertised is so they have more minority applicants. They have been avertising on mostly black radio stations and in diverse neiborhoods. Also heard they have been hitting curves for women pretty hard.

I think one of their biggest advertising measures is just word of mouth, thatís how I heard about it, and then I later received a postcard in the mail telling me about it (I put myself on the mailing list through HR). The 5 preference points for being a Minneapolis resident will hurt though.

The way I see it, the people who test are going to be in 1 of 2 groups, firefighters from neighboring departments who herd about the hiring through word of mouth, and random people who heard about the hiring on the beat 96.3 who thought it would just be fun to test.

The serious testers who are on departments aren't going to get preference points for living in Mpls. since they most likely work on a POC or vol. dept and you have to live with in a certain range of your dept. station.

Odds are the people who herd about the test on the radio (probably first time testers) might pass the reading test but will probably fail the employment inventory/ customer service inventory.

That is only my opinion, it's my way of letting me think that I have a shot of making it to the top 180 .

Edit: btw isn't Curves where you work out FFEMTMills.
    Last edited by Golzy12; 01-19-2006 at 10:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

btw isn't Curves where you work out FFEMTMills

Yes it is and im happy to say its how I met your mother, and without her my day wouldnt shine like it does. "

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMTMills
    btw isn't Curves where you work out FFEMTMills

Yes it is and im happy to say its how I met your mother, and without her my day wouldnt shine like it does. "
    You had to go straight for the mom joke, frankly I expected more from you and I'm dissapointed

Why should the color of skin or your gender have anything to do with you being hired? I understand about equal opportunity, but if the hiring is based on your test scores and interviews, how could anything else matter? I am not racist it makes no diffrence to me, but why should minorities be "encouraged to apply"? Shouldn't eveybody who meets requirements be "encouraged to apply"? This doesn't sound right to me, or maybe I'm ranting and raving...

SubWay1, and all those looking at Minneapolis;
    Welcome to the world of big city BS politics. Many cities, Minneapolis is on the cutting edge, have taken civil service employment and turned it into an inner city jobs program for "protected" classes. Written tests have been dumbed down, physical fitness standards lowered, felonys and misdomeaners and a multi-page rap sheet are of no worries, the list goes on. Like it or not, reverse discrimination and affermative action over quality is all the rage.
    All I can tell you is, don't get discouraged, look at it like a challenge. If you are a white male, do that much better on the written, take the time to condition yourself so you can pass the physical test with a top score, and keep yourself out of trouble. Add residency points if you are lucky and if you are a vet, these points will also help, so it is possible.
    If you go at it like you are all ready beaten by forces you can't control, you have lost.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum
    SubWay1, and all those looking at Minneapolis;
    Welcome to the world of big city BS politics. Many cities, Minneapolis is on the cutting edge, have taken civil service employment and turned it into an inner city jobs program for "protected" classes. Written tests have been dumbed down, physical fitness standards lowered, felonys and misdomeaners and a multi-page rap sheet are of no worries, the list goes on. Like it or not, reverse discrimination and affermative action over quality is all the rage.
    All I can tell you is, don't get discouraged, look at it like a challenge. If you are a white male, do that much better on the written, take the time to condition yourself so you can pass the physical test with a top score, and keep yourself out of trouble. Add residency points if you are lucky and if you are a vet, these points will also help, so it is possible.
    If you go at it like you are all ready beaten by forces you can't control, you have lost.
    Getting a full time job is hard enough as it is, why should it be more difficult for a white male, it's BS, Saint Paul has been pulling the same ****. Test scores should decide who gets hired not any othe BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12
    Getting a full time job is hard enough as it is, why should it be more difficult for a white male, it's BS, Saint Paul has been pulling the same ****. Test scores should decide who gets hired not any othe BS.
    I agree 100%.

I also like how it was said "...reverse discrimination and affermative action over quality is all the rage."

Just have to try to stay positive and hope to finish in the top 30% of the list. I kindda look at it as a long term goal. Can't expect to get on with them 1st try. I talked to a few MFD; Took one guy 3 years and took another 7 years to get on. Just need to finish strong on the list and go on with my life hoping to here from MFD in the next few years...

Alright the application window is closed, who applied and when did you apply? A captin for the mpls fd told me that if there are ties on tests the city will use the time you applied to break the tie, first come first serve.
    Last edited by Golzy12; 01-21-2006 at 09:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I put an application in on Friday Afternoon. That would be a shi$$y way to break a tie so I hope that isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12
    Alright the application window is closed, who applied andwhen did you apply. I was told that for the if their are ties on tests the city will use the time you applied to break the tie, first come first serve.

I never heard that before, but if it matters or not I dropped mine off Tuesday morning...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Golzy12
    Alright the application window is closed, who applied andwhen did you apply. I was told that for the if their are ties on tests the city will use the time you applied to break the tie, first come first serve.

I never heard that before, but if it matters or not I dropped mine off Tuesday morning...
    Last edited by SubWay1; 01-21-2006 at 09:31 PM.

I dropped mine off Tuesday morning as well.
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

I just got back last night from a "ride a long". I went to 6's and rode ladder 11 and rescue 9. There is no way to describe it. With out a doubt it is the best job in the world! I can understand why it is so competitive to get a job like that. We had a great time, no big fire but still kept busy. It was awesome to meet the guys on the C shift everybody was really nice.

Any idea how they pick the 180 to make the list?

Thread Information