MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bin Laden Warns Of Attacks

Voice On Newly Aired Tape Speaks Of Truce With U.S.

(CBS) CAIRO, Egypt Al-Jazeera television aired an audiotape purportedly from Osama bin Laden Thursday saying al Qaeda is making preparations for attacks in the United States but offering a truce to build Iraq and Afghanistan.

The voice in the tape said heightened security measures in the United States are not the reason there have been no attacks there since the Sept. 11, 2001 suicide hijackings. Instead, the reason is "because there are operations that need preparations, and you will see them," he said.

"Based on what I have said, it is better not to fight the Muslims on their land," he said. "We do not mind offering you a truce that is fair and long-term. ... So we can build Iraq and Afghanistan ... there is no shame in this solution because it prevents wasting of billions of dollars ... to merchants of war."

The speaker did not give conditions for a truce in the excerpts aired by al-Jazeera.

The speaker says he "did not have the intention to speak to you about this issue ... However, what prompted me to speak is the repeated deceptions of your president Bush."

White House spokesman Scott McClellan had no immediate response to the purported bin Laden tape. He was asked about it just as a morning briefing concluded, reports CBS News correspondent Peter Maer.

While it's too early to tell if the tape is authentic, CBS News correspondent Jim Stewart reports analysts acknowledge it is a familiar message: he wants to attack the U.S., and condemns U.S. actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Stewart notes that al Qaeda in the past has canned old messages and released them as new, though there's no sign that is the case here.

(© 2006 CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Forum Member

I'm so tired of these stories. "Breaking news!!! Some nutjob says there might be an unspecified type possible terrorist attack at an unspecified location at an unspecified time on an unspecified date because are infidels."

Thank you CNN, but that is kind of assumed since 9/11. I wish they wouldn't waste my time with these hyped up stories about nothing at all.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

But NM, this is the very lowest form of terrorism. Place the thought of an attack in peoples minds, and mess with that for a while. Terrorists make (what they know to be idle) threats, and watch the general populace run around like a stirred up ants nest. All ya gotta do is use a long stick to poke the nest every so often. No damage done, and minmal effort for you. Include instantaneous world communications to the pot and WWOOOHOOO.

But I agree with you. I dont usually bother even opening the header link when I see something of this nature in the online news.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    I'm so tired of these stories. "Breaking news!!! Some nutjob says there might be an unspecified type possible terrorist attack at an unspecified location at an unspecified time on an unspecified date because are infidels."

Thank you CNN, but that is kind of assumed since 9/11. I wish they wouldn't waste my time with these hyped up stories about nothing at all.
    This is hardly a "hyped up story". This would be the first time in 15 months that he has issued a message. It is also sigbnificant that this comes days after we aparently have killed several high level al-Queda types in Pakistan. It is also significant that Zawahari didn't issue the message himself.

The importance of this message is not in the threat to attack on our soil. The importance in this message is:
    "We do not mind offering you a truce that is fair and long-term
    This is a desperate group that has been defeated. the danger now would be to follow the Pelosi's, the Murtha's, the Kennedy's, the Schumer's and the rest of the cowards in Congress and try to negotiate with this animal.

When Muhammed Ali had Chuck Wepner bleeding and staggering, did he say, "Wait. Give him a minute". No. He knocked him out.

We need to follow the words of Mike Moran ("Kiss my royal Irish ***!") and continue to pound away at this group. Stomp them into the ground so they will never hurt anyone again.

MembersZone Subscriber

"This is a desperate group that has been defeated."

George,

I would say we have heard some very promising news if true. It doesn’t take a lot to ignite an explosives laden briefcase in a NYC subway. Any splinter group of nut jobs can accomplish this. I think we still have some wood to chop.

R.R.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Oh trust me. I'm all for signing a truce with a few Tomahawk cruise missiles up their ***. I do understand that this is the first communication in quite some time. However the hyped up news media coverage talks about nothing but "MORE ATTACKS! MORE ATTACKS! THEY ARE THREATENING MORE ATTACKS!" No crap, we know they want to attack us, we don't need a 24/7 ticker reminding us that the terroists want to initiate terrorist attacks. Just like Malahat said, making a huge media spectacle out of this is exactly what those camel screwing butheads want. it scares people that can't see through the news media hype.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Oh trust me. I'm all for signing a truce with a few Tomahawk cruise missiles up their ***. I do understand that this is the first communication in quite some time. However the hyped up news media coverage talks about nothing but "MORE ATTACKS! MORE ATTACKS! THEY ARE THREATENING MORE ATTACKS!" No crap, we know they want to attack us, we don't need a 24/7 ticker reminding us that the terroists want to initiate terrorist attacks. Just like Malahat said, making a huge media spectacle out of this is exactly what those camel screwing butheads want. it scares people that can't see through the news media hype.
    NMFIRE,

The fact that some in the mainstream media think its news that these people want to attack and kill us is what baffles me as well. Such a huge disconnect.

R.R.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    This is hardly a "hyped up story". This would be the first time in 15 months that he has issued a message. It is also sigbnificant that this comes days after we aparently have killed several high level al-Queda types in Pakistan. It is also significant that Zawahari didn't issue the message himself.

The importance of this message is not in the threat to attack on our soil. The importance in this message is:
    This is a desperate group that has been defeated. the danger now would be to follow the Pelosi's, the Murtha's, the Kennedy's, the Schumer's and the rest of the cowards in Congress and try to negotiate with this animal.

When Muhammed Ali had Chuck Wepner bleeding and staggering, did he say, "Wait. Give him a minute". No. He knocked him out.

We need to follow the words of Mike Moran ("Kiss my royal Irish ***!") and continue to pound away at this group. Stomp them into the ground so they will never hurt anyone again.
    What he said ! 100 %
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

First they have not confirmed the audio is of bin laden, but its kind of funny how after the massive bombings in afganastain (however you spell it) this tape appears. It has been 13 months since the last tape of bin laden. I have to agree with George when she says "This is a desperate group that has been defeated" and because they are desperate they make these statements, problem is how many did they make prior to 9-11 and none where reported until the day finally came? Now we get these reports all the time.

The portion that is bothersome is I indeed believe with all the stepped up security in this country it has not stopped them, they can and most likely will strike again. Which is why we can not make a truce (The U.S. wont deal anyway) and we must to quote George "continue to pound away at this group. Stomp them into the ground so they will never hurt anyone again."

They started it, we will finish it!!!
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider
    "This is a desperate group that has been defeated."

George,

I would say we have heard some very promising news if true. It doesn’t take a lot to ignite an explosives laden briefcase in a NYC subway. Any splinter group of nut jobs can accomplish this. I think we still have some wood to chop.

R.R.
    I agree. But after traveling to a couple of Ranger games via NJ Transit through Penn Station, as well as traveling recently on the T in Boston, what kind of security breach would this take? If they had the willpower and the means to do this, it would need little to no preparation. There is no security on the trains. I walked through the concourse, and up onto the platform w/o being approached by anyone asking what was in my bag.

They are on their last legs. It might be that we have killed or captured the majority of their band of merry men. But we need to make sure they lose, lose bad and have no ability to regroup.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider
    NMFIRE,

The fact that some in the mainstream media think its news that these people want to attack and kill us is what baffles me as well. Such a huge disconnect.

R.R.
    Here is a question that makes all of this make sense.

What group of peoplpe wants a terrorist attack on our soil more than any other?

Forum Member

There is no security on the trains.
    and hasn't been for a long time. I have also travelled via train to Penn station and never been stopped, questioned, asked, etc. Maybe I just look like an innocent person, but someone tell me how they can tell what's in my bag has been a laptop, guns, etc. without ever checking?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones,

I commute to work in NYC on LIRR & MTA (subways) everyday. I normally carry a backpack with laptop. Since the implementation of spot checks I escaped the time consuming check by wearing my Fire Dept. jacket. They just let me pass with a wink and a nod. Makes me wonder. I will not sit in the middle of ANY train and try to be by an exit if possible.

R.R.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Here is a question that makes all of this make sense.

What group of peoplpe wants a terrorist attack on our soil more than any other?
    Good point. And we have pages on a topic about "do you want fires?" I wonder if news media forums have topics like "Do you want radical islamic jihadist bombings?"
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-19-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Forum Member

Default history lessons

I think what strikes me most is that we won the war but are losing the battles. Just like Nam we were winning the war but losing against the guerilla operations. It has always been difficult but not totally impossible to fight insurgent warfare you just have to break the will to fight. If we were to pull the same kinds of tactics that they use we might progress but regress on our ethics. Anyway what's your take George since we seem to agree to disagree. Should we nuke the whole country and genocide a whole race and religion since that would end the problem but start other trouble? 2 cents.

Forum Member

The problem solver. A few of these babies and there will no longer be violent unrest in the middle east. It's unfortunate the rest of the globe would slip into a cold yet peaceful nuclear winter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    I think what strikes me most is that we won the war but are losing the battles. Just like Nam we were winning the war but losing against the guerilla operations. It has always been difficult but not totally impossible to fight insurgent warfare you just have to break the will to fight. If we were to pull the same kinds of tactics that they use we might progress but regress on our ethics. Anyway what's your take George since we seem to agree to disagree. Should we nuke the whole country and genocide a whole race and religion since that would end the problem but start other trouble? 2 cents.
    We are not losing anything. The insurgency is attacking their own people and killing hundreds of them a week. That will not last much lnger until the Iraqi people turn on them. In addition, we lost more brave men and women in a week in Viet Nam than we have lost in the etire Iraqi war. We are doing tons more good ni that country than the press or the libs want you to believe. We are going to leave that country a whole lot better off than when we got there and that is an irrefutable fact.

Your last question is idiotic.

Forum Member
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

I love the media, take an anthill and make it K2. It's going to be similar to what happened when Saddams military advisor said that the US military was not inside Iraq....uh huh. As soon as Osama is caught, or killed..it might get ugly for a bit, but really the Al-Qaida organization has been dismantled fairly well. They would have struck back by now if they meant it. Empty threats really.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

PFD...not sure I agree. There's no doubt in my mind OBL & his gang can/will strike again and they are "preparing" as the tape indicated. I think they're just waiting for the right time. I'd love to be wrong.

I thought it was funny that he said that "heightened security measures in the United States are not the reason there have been no attacks there since the Sept. 11, 2001." I'm sure Homeland Security has been taking credit for the lack of attacks.

Regarding security on trains....there will always be a way for someone to attack something. Putting TSA, screeners & equipment at certain locations will not deter anyone who wants to commit a terrorist act. (Like RR said...he wears his FD jacket and through he goes). When it happens again, people will be blaming some government agency for not having stopped it (instead of blaming the perpetrator). The cycle will continue. And if the next target is some podunk town who doesn't have or hasn't received the funds/resources to enforce security measures to the Nth degree...then that will cause even more of an uproar. Anyone, anyplace is a fair target for these murderers.

I am curious to hear details regarding OBL's "truce." Just another ploy to blame the US for not agreeing to a compromise. If only the man spent his $ on Afghanistan & Iraq instead of terrorist activities...wishful thinking.

Forum Member

Amen. That pretty much sums it up.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by skyraider
    PFD...not sure I agree. There's no doubt in my mind OBL & his gang can/will strike again and they are "preparing" as the tape indicated. I think they're just waiting for the right time. I'd love to be wrong.

I thought it was funny that he said that "heightened security measures in the United States are not the reason there have been no attacks there since the Sept. 11, 2001." I'm sure Homeland Security has been taking credit for the lack of attacks.

Regarding security on trains....there will always be a way for someone to attack something. Putting TSA, screeners & equipment at certain locations will not deter anyone who wants to commit a terrorist act. (Like RR said...he wears his FD jacket and through he goes). When it happens again, people will be blaming some government agency for not having stopped it (instead of blaming the perpetrator). The cycle will continue. And if the next target is some podunk town who doesn't have or hasn't received the funds/resources to enforce security measures to the Nth degree...then that will cause even more of an uproar. Anyone, anyplace is a fair target for these murderers.

I am curious to hear details regarding OBL's "truce." Just another ploy to blame the US for not agreeing to a compromise. If only the man spent his $ on Afghanistan & Iraq instead of terrorist activities...wishful thinking.
    To wish that this man would soend his money for noble purposes is to deny the fact that he is utterly and completely evil.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

.... The importance in this message is:
    "We do not mind offering you a truce that is fair and long-term.....

“Al-Qaida’s signature tactic is divide-and-conquer”

Side note: The City of New york uses this tactic also in labor talks
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 01-20-2006 at 10:52 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    Vietnam was lost in the TV newsrooms in NYC. We won on the ground, conventional and insurgency. If you want to lecture about Vietnam educate yourself.

Forum Member

Default nam

neiowa:I'm not lecturing on Nam just making some observations and asking question of others opinions. Educate myself? Okay I spent twenty years in the Armed Forces of America. I served in Korea twice, Germany, Thailand and Vietnam. Want a list of my medals? I'm a life member of the VFW and the Vietnam Veterans of America. Lost friends, too many. Like we say if you ain't been there and walked the walk then don't talk the talk to me. Yes the media did little to aid our cause. When politics mixes with military operations then too many die for too little. We have the ability, willingness of our militarty and the power to kick butt. The question is does our government have the will and desire to see it through in a manner that leaves no doubt in the enemies mind he is whipped without dragging out to infinity an insurgent warfare. Unfortunaltely the mind set of the American people is get it done and quickly and let us go about our daily routine of living.

Thread Information