MembersZone Subscriber

Question Crime Scene Identification

I know when rushing into a housefire and seeing someone on the floor there's a trigger inside your head that just cries pull him out! But what are some tell tale signs that indicate a possible crime scene. I know some basics like: the door was forced open upon the fire depts. arrival, there's a weapon near or next to the victim, or if there is major blunt force trama or weapon wound on the victim himself. This just pertains to a victim that is obviously dead with no Breathing or Pulse. What are other signs you can look for to judge if this is really a crime scene and you shouldn't be moving the body?

Forum Member

You should always be moving the body. The fire service's primary mission is life safety- You find a body, you pull it out. The victim is not dead until it has been determined that he meets protocol, and you're not going to be attaching an EKG or checking for rigor or lividity in a smoke-filled bedroom while wearing an SCBA. Even if the poor sap is pulseless and apneic, he may still be salvagable.

Of course, you may find a severely burned and obviously dead body during overhaul, but that's a little different.

MembersZone Subscriber

ohhhh. well it must be alittle different here. If we come across an obviously dead person and found suspician of a murder scene we are NOT supose to move the body. That is the orders of the police and investigators. I guess moving the person could cause further injury and mask the injuries that were initually caused. I guess we are over ruled more by police here then other places. I mean dragging a guy out of a house with a bullet wound to the forehead and disturbing the crime scene just because the other side of the house is on fire wouldnt make investigators very happy. trust me it has happened here before. I just wanted to know if you guys had any info on these types of incidents. I would vather be somewhere were we drag them all out and sort it out after.

Thread Information