Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default Here is a good one...

My wife and I stopped a grocery store recently. After we parked, and were walking to the entrance there was a mini van parked in the fire lane (right under the sign with the big red letters!!!). As I got closer and the driver made eye I contact with me, I started to shake my head in displeasure. (My wife knows its one of my biggest pet peeves and would be if I wasn't a firefighter.) When I got even closer, the driver then rolls down the window and asks "What's your problem?" I just asked her if she knew what the fine was for parking in a fire lane? The reply was "So? Its none of your g*d damn business...I am waiting for my husband and child." To which I simply replied, "Well, there are plently of parking spaces out in the lot..". She continued to swear (the words ********* and f**kin' pr*ck I believe were used) and carry on as I walked away still shaking my head.
    I just want to know if anyone else has ever had an interaction like this, when simply trying to prevent someone from getting a ticket? I did more to prove their ignorance, which they clearly showed.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

In my opinion you did the best thing by simply walking away. Unfortunately thier is gonna be people like that, these are the same people that refuse to yeild to emergency vehicals but grip and complain when they are in need of emergency services when it takes them longer then 20 secounds to arrive on scene. If they wish to behave this way then so be it and let them get the parking ticket then atlease we dont look like the "bad guys"

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah that happens quite frequently around here. The township hierarchy really gets fired p when the PD writes tickets to enforce the posting because in turn they say people stop using that store or shopping center and the business(s) complain. What a bunch of B.S. if you aask me. I think that the FD should be able to write tickets to enforce this and the profits of them go towards improvements in the local Fire Service.

Hey these people are A holes......2 weeks ago....at work...we went to a job...the first due truck pulled up...and a local moron pulled IFO the Ladder Company.....and parked illegally......got out and went into his apt bldg...(not the one on fire, btw....the one that was on fire...was quite obvious....)....well...when the LCC pulled in initially...there was noone in the spot this dope just parked.....well...when the LCC set his outriggers...he planted one right through this jack holes car.....It was quite friggin funny.... the Cop who wrote the report...(happend to be a good friend of mine....) also wrote the jerk a few tickets.....he told me that the guy was mad b/c the dude wanted the City of NY to pay for the damage......well...that ain't happening......the guy's car was totalled....friggin squished by the TLs. outrigger.......priceless....I just wish I had my camera w/ me...!

The revenge of the men in the funny suits. Wish i could have been there. I always tell my friends exactly why you dont park next to a fire hydrant.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

We prefer the silent attack. Everytime there is a game at the middle school, the snobby stuck up rich morons park in the front circle because they are too special to park in the parking lot. We will see the usual line of cars parked there and just call the PD. They will gladly come up and ticket every one of them, THEN go into the game and announce to have them all moved. We were they a few weeks ago for a call and the idiots ended up getting ticketed and blocked in by the apparatus. I very much enjoyed the frustrated looks on all their faces.

I only wish we had a tower ladder with outriggers to crush a car with.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I've seen "the look" a few times, and received it too. The frustating part is that we can not offer enforcement to the sign. Even to just be able to call the veh plate number in to the PD or something would be good. But we all know that by the time they could show up, the car in question is long gone.

I had a big smile about the ladder truck story I like that. And a snicker for NM's story too.

Back home it wouldn't be so much of a conern but around down here ya just never know who might have brought a gun to a verbal confrontation. Not saying that is a problem here abouts, but I'm not sure I really want to take that chance. Nature gave me only so many orifaces on my body and I don't need any further ventilation. Sometimes having those blue diplomat plates on my truck really doesn't mean squat.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire
    My wife and I stopped a grocery store recently. After we parked, and were walking to the entrance there was a mini van parked in the fire lane (right under the sign with the big red letters!!!). As I got closer and the driver made eye I contact with me, I started to shake my head in displeasure. (My wife knows its one of my biggest pet peeves and would be if I wasn't a firefighter.) When I got even closer, the driver then rolls down the window and asks "What's your problem?" I just asked her if she knew what the fine was for parking in a fire lane? The reply was "So? Its none of your g*d damn business...I am waiting for my husband and child." To which I simply replied, "Well, there are plently of parking spaces out in the lot..". She continued to swear (the words ********* and f**kin' pr*ck I believe were used) and carry on as I walked away still shaking my head.
    I just want to know if anyone else has ever had an interaction like this, when simply trying to prevent someone from getting a ticket? I did more to prove their ignorance, which they clearly showed.
    All the time. But I usually just had a marked unit respond to keep my promise of writnig them a summons if they didn't move. Hey! I'm a man of my word.

Around here there is a difference between standing and parking, if the lady was in her vehicle, she was not "parked" and unless she was blocking the flow of traffic she would not have been violating the law. Now if she left to go in the store there would have been a real reason to give her the "stink eye".
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Our PD is good about clearing the fire lane. I have parked our FD jeep in parking spaces and had people ask why donít you park in the fire lane. My reply the fire lane is for emergencies. We are here on business. If we take an engine that is different size thing. This last spring we went to Wal-Mart for their safety meeting and found a car parked in the fire lane with no one in it. Kind down from the front doors so we parked by it. Had them blocked in with the two trucks came out an hour later the guy had called to PD to come have us move our trucks. That was a classic moment in time. We where there for 25 minutes. The guy called about 5 minutes after we got there. As the officer told us he spent 15 minutes pleading his case how we should have been ticketed for blocking him not him for where he parked. After all he was a busy person.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

As the officer told us he spent 15 minutes pleading his case how we should have been ticketed for blocking him not him for where he parked. After all he was a busy person.
    ROF-LMAO that is just too funny.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

NJ must be different than NY because I believe "parking" or "standing", basically any type of stopping in a fire lane is illegal here.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I responded to a fire in a garden style apartment a few years ago. There was a idiot who parked in the fire lane-fortunately were were able to just (barely) get the engine and ladder by the car. Me, being the nice guy, asked the guy when he came out if he could move the car. He immediately gets an attitude. I call for the police to ticket and tow the car. Idiot goes into his house, comes out with a camera and starts taking pictures. His reason-when he goes to court to fight the ticket he is going to show the judge the pictures (his car in front of the fire lane sign) to prove were we able to get by.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyOnePride
    NJ must be different than NY because I believe "parking" or "standing", basically any type of stopping in a fire lane is illegal here.
    How does one load their groceries in front of the Stop-n-Shop?
    That curb lane is the fire lane too.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    How does one load their groceries in front of the Stop-n-Shop?
    That curb lane is the fire lane too.

Thats simple...push the cart to where your car is SUPPOSED to be parked, in the lot with all the other law abiding citizens!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire
    Thats simple...push the cart to where your car is SUPPOSED to be parked, in the lot with all the other law abiding citizens!
    Can't do that, have a kid with me most of the time, how do you return the cart with the kid straped in the car?

Better yet, what about the Whole Foods Market where the bollards keep the carts from getting to the lot? What do i do with little Nate and the 10 bags of groceries?

You all are pretty damn anal, and in fact are trying to go beyond the letter or intent of the law, trying to keep folks from ever touching the beloved fire lane. It is marked as such to keep cars from PARKING there, someone waiting there with the ability to move the vehicle for any emergency situation that might arise should not upset any of us. Now if you see a car unattended, then yes, have it ticketed, towed, crushed, and recycled.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

The fire dept here used to be able to write tickets until someone wrote the governor (in his state issued limo) a ticket. He was in town to give the local community college a check for $100,000.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelFire
    The fire dept here used to be able to write tickets until someone wrote the governor (in his state issued limo) a ticket. He was in town to give the local community college a check for $100,000.

Don't bite the hand.........
    -Big Russ

As long as the persons in the car and it can be moved I don't see much of a problem with them being there for a brief moment. As long as it does not impede traffic. If there is a problem itís not my job to say something, thatís the PD's job. If it were me I probably would have said the same thing to you and then told you to come and try and make me move. LOL
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Can't do that, have a kid with me most of the time, how do you return the cart with the kid straped in the car?

Better yet, what about the Whole Foods Market where the bollards keep the carts from getting to the lot? What do i do with little Nate and the 10 bags of groceries?

You all are pretty damn anal, and in fact are trying to go beyond the letter or intent of the law, trying to keep folks from ever touching the beloved fire lane. It is marked as such to keep cars from PARKING there, someone waiting there with the ability to move the vehicle for any emergency situation that might arise should not upset any of us. Now if you see a car unattended, then yes, have it ticketed, towed, crushed, and recycled.

Well as with most departments...I am sure there would be trucks/chiefs vehicles responding from mutilple directions. Then the offender get the "dear in the headlights" look.
    If they park there (in front of the sign) what keeps them from parking in a handicapped spot and waiting...because they can always move from there to? Right?
    And as I said, she started in on me.....obvious to me she has no cares but for herself. So what keeps her from speeding, blowing stop signs, not yeilding to pedestrians in cross walks, etc...

IACOJ

Thread Information