Thread: simulator grant

MembersZone Subscriber

Default simulator grant

I'm looking to learn how to start a grant for my fire academy for a driving simulator when there budget comes from our commissioners. I'm not sure if it needs to be in the commissioners name or the academys name. Also the academy does not have their own bank accounts in which I used my companys for our exhaust system. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. My email addy is squeek7000@hotmail.com

Also anyone interested in an exhaust system I'll be glad to email you my narrative which was a success.

Thanks
    Mike

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If the fire academy is part of the county FD then the county would apply to AFG. Fire academies are generally ineligible for most grants on their own.

MembersZone Subscriber

So I would have to do it through the commisioners then since we arent a "county" academy however we offer classes to all fds in the county and out. We are actually in Toms River NJ so its our academy and our town is split up into 2 districts,(2 sets of commsioners) so I really just need a little bit of guidance on where and how I should start.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

For AFG it wouldn't be possible since the academy isn't part of a fire department. And since the fire departments aren't run by the county, they cou;dn't apply for it either. The only option would be for one of the two departments to apply for it.

And on that note, training simulators are low in priority in the first place. They hand out very few burn trailers, and this unit would most likely rank below those in priority. Not impossible since any project has a chance to be funded, but there are other lower cost ways to teach people how to operate trucks. And unless time in a simulator counts as driving or operating time for a certified class, it ranks lower than training that does directly lead to a certification. So as beneficial as it may be, there are a lot of Cons.

But as I tell the vehicle clients I write grants for: if all other needs are met in equipment and PPE, then fire away at the truck if it truly is the greatest need. If neither of your departments need anything, then let one of them take a shot at the driving sim. Worst thing they can say is no, but they might say yes.

Thread Information