Forum Member

Question HURST Extrication Tools

CALLING FOR ASSISTANCE!

We are currently looking into getting new Extrication Equipment for our Rescue Truck. Right now we have a set of Lukas Tools and a set of Hurst tools.

Does anyone have newere HURST Cutters, Spreaders, and Power Units? We are getting other opinions from Departments to see what they think? I am extremely intereseted in the "Trimo" Power Unit. Any help or opinion is much appreciated! If you have negative views, please explain it?

Forum Member

We bought a new cutter last year. Found it to be as reliable as our other Hurst equipment from the early 80's.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

HURST is the first to make portable hydraulic rescue tools, so you have to respect their experience. It is a very competative business these days and I am hearing that Hurst is making improvements to keep their reputation in tact. I assume that you know that the Lukas tools are now the Hurst Centaur tools, so that is something to consider as you chose tools.

Since you have a set of high pressure (Lukas) and low pressure (Hurst) tools, check with the members of your department to see which system they are most comfortable working with. Both have pros and cons, so the one that your department has adapted to the best would be the brand that I would lean toward to upgrade your overall system.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Good day, I have used many tools here in Missouri during our training exercises. The two tools I have found to be most competent are Hurts Centar with the trimo pump and T-N-T rescue tools. The best info is as the others have stated is your budget, and your opinion are the one that count. If you contact these tool companies and perform demo's with the tools would be most benificial to you and all on your department. Lets face it if your not happy after the purchase it is too late. The opinion of demoing is to find out who will come and SERVICE you with the tools as well as for your hands on of the tools. Contact others in your area about what tools they have because mutal aid is a large picture that does need to be kept in mind. However the other big picture is SERVICE after the sale. Who sells what tools in your area. Have others around you been happy with the service after the sale. Good luck ALan

Forum Member

Smile

Since you are getting so many "sales" opinions, I'll throw in mine. We have the Holmatro system, a company almost as old as Hurst, and quite a bit more innovative over the years. They are high pressure, extremely safety oriented, and some of the most powerful on the market.
    We don't have trimo pump, but they offer one. We have upgraded ours to use the Core hose, and it by far sets the standard for ease and simplicity for the user, not to mention safety.
    Don't be fooled by a name, there is no more of the old Hurst. It is made overseas now and assembled in the US. Sadly, as things go, large conglomerates buy up old names and use them.

Do a lot of research and stay away from sales pitches and opinions, let as many in your department as you can put their hands on the tools and try them. However, make sure they are the ones who actually use the tools, not the backrow folks.

Good luck

Forum Member

My department has Hurst, I would give up all of it to get TNT tools, made locally IN THE US, by a bunch of very skilled people. Faster, lighter, and more powerful than Hurst...and 20 times better.

www.tntrescue.com
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

we have hurst at my current department and I would trade it all to go back to Amkus.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc
    If you contact these tool companies and perform demo's with the tools would be most benificial to you and all on your department. Lets face it if your not happy after the purchase it is too late. The opinion of demoing is to find out who will come and SERVICE you with the tools as well as for your hands on of the tools. Contact others in your area about what tools they have because mutal aid is a large picture that does need to be kept in mind. However the other big picture is SERVICE after the sale. Who sells what tools in your area. Have others around you been happy with the service after the sale. Good luck ALan

Well said. Bring every vendor in and go to a local junk yard if you can. We bought a new TNT cutter and spreader 3 years ago. We demo'd Hurst, Amkus and TNT. TNT was the hands down winner. The Amkus wouldn't cut a nader bolt. We are one of the few in our area with the TNT but they are gaining popularity. Just don't go in blinded by the Hurst salesman. Look at everytihng!!

Forum Member

I won't presume to tell you what to buy, but I will say Hurst makes a decent tool and you should be happy with them. Actually, all the major brands make good products. Try as many as you can, and let your guys make the decision based on hands-on use rather that sales hype and misinformation.

I would like, however to correct a statement made earlier by hrtrescue10. Hurst tools are NOT made overseas. The factory is in Shelby, NC. I've been there several times and I can assure you, Hurst tools are MADE there, not just assembled. Centuar tools are made overseas. They are actually Lukas tools, but marketed in the US as Centuar.

Forum Member

My department has used Hurst tools since they first came out in the early 70's. As far as I know, the first model 32a we bought back then is still in service. We have 4 complete sets of Hurst (power units, rams, spreaders, cuters, combo tools, etc.) and firmly believe in them.

A lot of department's are dumping their Hurst stuff for the new light-weight equipment. Check out E-Bay and type in "Jaws Life" and you will see some very good deals out there. We just bought 2-60 rams, 2-30 rams and a 20 ram for $1,500. Hydraulic tools don't really wear out.

JB
    John E. Burruss, NREMT-P
    Heavy-Technical Rescue Instructor
    Virginia Department of Fire Programs

Forum Member

I would like, however to correct a statement made earlier by hrtrescue10. Hurst tools are NOT made overseas. The factory is in Shelby, NC. I've been there several times and I can assure you, Hurst tools are MADE there, not just assembled. Centuar tools are made overseas. They are actually Lukas tools, but marketed in the US as Centuar.[/QUOTE]

Not anymore,
    Last edited by hrtrescue10; 01-24-2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: left out body

Forum Member

Dude - I was just there in October. I watched them making the tools. Oh, wait a minute - maybe I just got some bad crack and I imagined it all.

Forum Member

Cool

that could explain it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hrtrescue10
    that could explain it
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

My company uses Hurst tools and compared to the others in our area I feel they work better and faster. But the thing that you have to remember is that if the operater is good or profiecent at using the tool, the name brand won't make a damn bit of difference. Just my opinions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our dept did a large tool test and invited about 6 of the top name brand tool manufacturers to show their stuff, to make it as fair as possible we had our own People perform the cutting test in front of eveyone.
    The same person held each cutter to ensure accuracy, each cutter had to cut 1-1/2 inch solid rebar.
    The only cutter that could cut the bar completely was the New 3050 NT cutter from Holmatro.
    The next best cut was made by TNT Rescue, it could not cut the thicker 1-1/2 but was able to cut 1" rebar with a little of twisting of the blades.
    The reps for these tools were asked to use in their opinion the best cutter that they sell to perfrom the cut.
    Amkus tried to cut the Larger rebar but failed on three attempts.
    Hurst Refused to try and cut the Large rebar becuase the rep did not want to risk breaking the blades. I can't recall at this time if Hurst was able to cut the 1" rebar or not ask your local rep what his opinion is.
    The other Tool companies ddi not want to put their tools through the test.

In our test it was evidence for us to go with Holmatro, I'm not saying that any cutter is better than the other for my disclaimer but the tests we performed in June of 2005 gave us confidence in our decision at the time, now the other manufacturers may have new improved cutters since then so perform your own test to be certain.
    Just my two cents.

Forum Member

Hurst claims that the Hurst and Centuar MOC cutters will cut inch & a half steel round stock, but apparently this rep was not willing to put his money where Hurst's mouth is.

MembersZone Subscriber

We cut the 1 1/2 steel rod with the Hurst MOC. That is what we ended up buying although I'm not sure that should be the measure of the tool. The Holmatro 3050 NCT had difficulty cutting sheet metal parts on a 1980 vintage car while their 3035 did great (different blade designs and much less advertised force)

The Holmatro rep told us that the 3000 series tools would be phased out at some point soon though.

The CORE was interesting, but the Hurst rep had a ton of reasons why it had problems. I'm not going to debate it here because I really don't have much experience with that hose other than working with it for one night, but its worth asking around. FYI, I screwed the Core coupling up on the first shot and we had to shut the power unit down to finally get it off. One of the issues Hurst brought up is that with no manual dumps you have to kill the whole power unit if you need to dump power from one tool and can't get the coupling off.

We replaced our whole system with Hurst. Uniformity with surrounding companies, reliability / reputation and the performance of the MOC cutters sold us.

MembersZone Subscriber

The rating for the 3050 NT is 208,000 at the notch, During our test we also had all the cutters try to cut the front door hinges on 4 2005 Chevy Venture vans, again Holmatro was the only one that could cut the whole hinge in one continuous cut with out repositioning, Hurst Could not cut it for us nor could any of the other cutters in one single cut.

The core hose can be released by a release valve on the pump according to the Manual, and even if that fails the claims are there is a another screw type function that you turn clockwise to release pressure.

Probably won't be long before Hurst comes up with their own type of Core hose to keep up.

Forum Member

We have all TNT tools and two TNT pumps. They are great although I cant say a lot because Ive never used anything but TNT. The one thing that I have noticed is that the bolt that holds the cutters and jaws on has to be torked perfect or you loose a lot of power.

Forum Member

Hurst plant is in Shelby North Carolina, I got to go there last year the tools are made there.

Forum Member

Hurst plant is in Shelby North Carolina

Hehehe...

Two of our tools have major components manufactured for Hurst in the Soviet Union.

I wonder how many people here still have 'em...or even know what part of what model line used the Soviet parts and why

Thread Information