Thread: Lasik ?

Forum Member

Question Lasik ?

Does your Dept. have any rules/bylaws about LASIK eye surgery?

MembersZone Subscriber

Like what?
    Several of our guys have had corrective surgery and all are OK
    What is the question? insurance? the department can't tell you that you can't have eye surgery.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can lasik correct both near and far vision? I'm 48, and I am having one heck of a time seeing close-up. It's gotten to the point where sometimes I'm not completely sure what I'm eating.

Disillusioned Subscriber

I spoke with a local ophthamologist this week who said that a new procedure has been approved by the FDA where a corrective lens is surgically implanted in front of your natural lens, much like is done with cataract patients.

The advantage to this is the "correction" isn't irreversible like the current corrective procedures done surgically. The procedure has been done in Europe for something like 10 years, and the results have been very positive. You might do some research on this as an option.

I had corneal ablation done by laser right after it was approved. Mine was done at Ohio State, and I've been extremely pleased with it. Whatever you decide, look at all the options, and choose what you think is best for you.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

I did it 3 years ago and love it. No department rules and as a matter of fact my insurance just payed for my wife to get hers done, wish we had it when I got mine done.

Forum Member

I had been stuck wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade. For 14 years, I have had to have those stupid things stuck to my head. They fall off. The screws come apart. They fog up when you get out of a car. They fog up when you put safety goggles on (like for extrications). And I had to take them off for SCBA meaning i am blind. My vision was about 20/600. You know that giant E on the eye chart? It was just a black blur.

Back in March 2003, I had laser vision correction. I can not begin to describe the difference. My vision is now 20/15. No problems day or night. Nothing to fog up. Nothing to break. Nothing to get in the way. AND I CAN SEE WITH AN SCBA MASK ON. I can wear normal sunglasses. I can fall asleep watching TV and not worry about rolling over and breaking them. I can see the alarm clock in the morning (wait, I don't want to see that...). It is like a whole new world. I can't remember life before glasses because I had them so long. Hell, I didn't even know what I looked like without glasses because if I took them off to look in a mirror, I couldn't see anything.

I highly recomend anyone who wants to see again, do yourself a favor and at least look into it. It is the best thing I have done in a long time.

I should add what kind of effects I had during/after. My eyes have always been hypersensitive to ANYTHING going near them, even my own hands. This is why I could never have contacts. I am really bad, I go nuts when anything is near my eyes. My regular optomitrist hates me.

The numbing drops they put in your eyes for the surgery helps A LOT. But that thing they clamp on your head sure is wierd. It doesn't hurt. But it isn't soothing either. Well worth the 15 mintues of slight discomfort though. It was kinda cool, after the laser is done and they are smoothing over the conea flap, your eyes are flooded with water as they smooth it out with this q-tip looking thing. It is actually touching your eyeball. You can see it. You know it is there. Any other time, you would be fighting like hell. But you don't feel a thing. It is just neat.

I had the procedure at 4pm. My vision was blury and sensitive to light for the rest of the night. The irritation and "forign body sensation" was gone by 9pm. When I woke up the next morning, it was clear as day and NO irritation. No halos or flashing. No night vision problems. Nothing. Day after checkup at 10am was 20/15. 2 weeks later, it was still 20/15. One month later it was STILL 20/15. It has been over 2 years now and it is still perfect. I have NO side effect at all. I just can't rave about it enough. People who have never needed glasses just can't know the feeling of being able to see again.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Permanently Removed

I had pre-Lasik in 1993, then called RK (Radial Keritomoty) I worked great and I have been 20/15 (better than 20/20) for 12 years now.

My particular FD doesnt have a policy.

Forum Member

Default eyeballs

I had lasik done in october. There are a few different methods on how they zap you, one (lasik) they cut a flap out of your cornea, flip it up out of way, uses the laser then put it back. Another way (lasek) is where they disvolve part of your cornea, push it out of the way, zap you, then push your disvolved cornea back into place. The lasik way heals faster, but has more possible complications (severed nerves, dry eyes, and infection), where the lasek takes longer to heal, but no cut nerves and less chance of infection.

Anyway, I love it. I did have dry eyes after and use drops. I can see 20/15 and my eyes are still dry. hopefully once that goes away I'll be able to see through walls!

Forum Member

Some of our guys got Lasik, and one of my employees won a free procedure on a radio contest. He had coke bottle glasses and now sees perfectly with out them. We don't have any policy against it either.
    I wear glasses but mine are a prizm prescription. My vision is fine, but can't focus correctly. Anyway this means I'm not a candidate for Lasik, and I can't use contacts either because contacts turn on your eyes, and my lenses have to stay lined up in a certain position. I have the same problem with steaming up on the job, and bad vision with scba on. That surgically implanted lense sounds to be worth asking about. Thanks steamer.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

no policy here .............had it done and LOVE it ..........also do a search.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I was in the same boat as nmfire before I got my lasik, I couldn't see the ig E on the chart. I knew it was there, but no chance I could see it. Now my vision is 20/20 in one eye, 20/25 in the other. I can't complain! If I remember correctly, my doctor said that just over 80% have at least 20/20 vision, and almost 100% will have no worse than 20/40. I'm going back for my 1 year check up next week and could not have spent my money any better. Hell, as soon as my fiance and I get married and she's on my insurance, we're going to get her lasik too.

Forum Member

No policy. Some of the brothers have had it and love it. Me, Ill stick with my glasses. As long as I can see, I wont let anyone screw with my eyes.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lasik

Could someone tell me what they do to your eyes before you have the surgery and also during the surgery? My optemologist said I was a candidate for the surgery, but I want to know what I'll be dealing with first. I've heard that they inject (with a needle, Ouch!) a sedative into your eye, then use the scalpel to cut your cornea. If so, then definitely not for me. I'll stick with my contacts if that's the way it's going to be.

MembersZone Subscriber

That surgically implanted lense sounds to be worth asking about.
    I too have worn glasses for 40 years. I too had all the problems that everyone else has already mentioned. Last year I went for another eye exam, and asked the Dr. to really strengthen (like I needed more strengthening) my prescription, because I was reading a newspaper through my bifocals with a magnifying glass. Well, he informed me that I had cataracts and recommended surgical implants. I can now pass a driver's license eye test and see fine at all distances (except reading). I still have $1000 worth of bifocal glasses for my civilian job, (1 pr. glasses, 1 pr. prescription sun glasses), but when I'm home or off my regular job I have a pair of $5.00 reading glasses hanging around my neck or another pair (in a case) in my pocket. I also bought a neat looking pair of regular sunglasses for driving and hanging around (just a $10.00 pair) This was a totally new experience to me, and its just great to walk around without the glasses. Now I too can put on my SCBA and actually see what I'm doing and where I'm going. I had thought about Lasik surgery, but it was unafordable. These implants were a Godsend, as my insurance paid for them. The actual procedure: Painless !
    Last edited by AFD368; 01-22-2006 at 11:21 AM.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

MembersZone Subscriber

PeteySt1 Could someone tell me what they do to your eyes before you have the surgery and also during the surgery? My optemologist said I was a candidate for the surgery, but I want to know what I'll be dealing with first. I've heard that they inject (with a needle, Ouch!) a sedative into your eye, then use the scalpel to cut your cornea. If so, then definitely not for me. I'll stick with my contacts if that's the way it's going to be.
    You don't feel a thing. My Dr. had me check into the out-patient clinic at the local hospital. They put some drops in your eye, they do insert an IV needle to inject a slight sedative just to relax you. I was totally awake when my first eye was done, but I kind of dozed off during the second eye procedure ( my Dr. would not do both eyes the same day. I had the surgeries 2 1/2 months apart). Nothing to eat after midnight prior to surgery, they give you a light meal or snack immediately after surgery and you go home. You are not supposed to drive the day of surgery, you visit the Dr. the next day and then 10 days later for checkups. The only restrictions I had was the Dr. didn't want me to bend over alot for a couple days.
    As I said in my previous post: Painless!
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I've been thinking about getting this done for a long time, but because my eyes are what they are.... I am very protective of them. My concern is about the future. I know they are bad now, without surgery, but what would they be like in say 15 or 20 yrs? Thats where my concern is. I dont like things in my eyes and dont really like people messing with them - after all they are all I've got.

However, I'd love to drop the glasses forever. Decisions decisions decisions....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

MalahatTwo7:
    Why not try contacts? I have them and despite what people say, it's not uncomfortable putting them in. Just when you put them in, Wash and dry your hands thoroughly because I once didn't wash too thoroughly after I had taken and washed my hair. Needless to say, the shampoo residue on my finger soaked the contact, coated it, I didn't notice it because there was no color, I put it in, And it was the worst sort of pain you could ever imagine! To top it off, my eye immediately shut, and I couldn't get the contact out until about an hour later. Later that night I went to the ER to check for any damage to my eye, thank god there was none. Something I learned to do, If you're going to take a shower, put the contacts in before you get any residue on your fingers.
    Last edited by PeteySt1; 01-22-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Forum Member

In my procedure they didn't give me any stick with a needle. Yikes! I hate needles. I didn't know they did it with needles. They gave me numbing drops, and a valium. You feel what they do but it dosen't hurt, just weird.

Step by step the whole thing goes like this:
    -put a bunch of eye drops in, numbing and disinfectant
    -take you into the room, cover one eye and lay you down under the machine.
    -they put the clamp on to keep your eye open(VERY WEIRD)
    -More drops
    -they put a suction devise on your eye, lightly increase the pressure until you can't see.
    -then a blade comes and slices the flap out of your cornea.(thats the worst part, no pain, but you can feel the blade going through your eye.)
    -They move the flap
    -You have to stare at this red dot and not move, use feel heat as they zap you.
    -take off the clamp and your done with that eye
    -repeat the whole thing for the next eye.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Yikes!!

Elswappo:
    Thanks for the info. How long does the procedure take? What do you have to do after the procedure? Thanks for any more info. I hate getting cut with anything, so unless they can just use the laser, I'll stick my contacts.

Petey

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard when this procedure first came out there was a risk of the procedure reversing or being damaged if you had a certain amount of force hit your head. I was curious if that is still or even was a risk. I have worn glasses since about '93 and am tired of them and am about to switch to contacts. This thread has been very helpful to me, keep it coming.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Forum Member

The whole procedure takes like 20 min total, I spent more time in the waiting room then actually getting it done. Afterwards they give you some good pain killing drugs, (good ones ) For a week you have to put drops in to keep away infection. You can't touch your eyes for a week after too, No RUBBING! They also don't want you to get anything in your eyes until it heals, so no shampoo or water even. I pulled myself out of service for three days to be safe.

No way the procedure can be reversed. Once you've been zapped they can't take it back. Thats why they tell you to be really still during the laser part. They can redo it, and make adjustments later on if your not happy with your vison, but a hit to the head won't hurt you, well your eyes anyway. The biggest thing is not getting anything in your eyes, the worst thing that could happen is getting an infection in your eye.

Forum Member

Great stuff ... my question is, has anyone had bad luck with the surgery or know anyone who had the surgery go wrong?

Forum Member

I know of 2 people who have had difficulty .........one was not TRUE LASIK, the other one was. They have both gotten their vision corrected and now have ZERO trouble.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I had it years ago, probably about 6-7. Totally flawless. I can say it was better than a trip to the dentist. Got a vallium, the drops numbed the eyes, and I can't stand touching my eye. probably 30 minutes tops. I went from next to blind, to being able to read where the eye chart was made. Check it out online, canada has been doing it for years before it started here. So far it looks like everything is holding up as well as those who didn't have any surgery.

Forum Member

Had Lasix done in 1999. The only problem I experienced was poor night vision for the first 6 months. That resolved mostly but I wear a very thin pair of glasses for finding Civic addresses at night when working. My partner at work jokes that I have eyes of an eagle at night now as I can find a civic number long before he can see it. My dr said that if I was in any other profession (paramedic) he would not perscribe glasses at all. I now have better than 20/20. Prior to the proceedure I could not see the E on the chart. Because my initial vision was so poor they did the proceedure twice. The first time in April 1999 and then a touch up in March 2000. The way that they explained it was that it was better to cut close to the line initally and then follow up with a second proceedure to make my vision more exact.
    The new systems out now have improves greatly since 1999. I am being told that the new systems have virtually eliminated any night vision problems.

Thread Information