Forum Member

Default Fatal Fire outside of Orrville, OH

We haven't had a fatality since 1969... so I suppose we were over due. I have been on three of these during my career. Thank goodness they don't happen often. Here is the local newspaper article in case anyone is interested:

http://www.the-daily-record.com/index.php?tD=01212006
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 01-22-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Sad news if you need anything brohter let us know. Always an open ear.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Default Follow-up THE DAILY RECORD article

Huprick Road fire cause most likely will remain undetermined
    By PAUL LOCHER
    Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAUGHMAN TWP. - The fire that killed a 55-year-old Huprick Road woman on Friday morning does not appear to have been suspicious in origin, investigators for the State Fire Marshal’s Office say.

But Orrville Fire Chief Bob Ballentine says investigators can determine little more about the origin of the blaze that destroyed both the house and garage at 17422 Huprick Road about 6:42 a.m.

Ballentine said the body of Shirley Everett, who lived alone there, was found by investigators near the front door.

“It appeared she was in the process of attempting to get out,” Ballentine said on Monday.

“I don’t think there is any way to tell the cause,” Ballentine said. “My hunch is it will officially go down as a fire of undetermined origin. There was just not enough left there for a proper decision.”

When firefighters were called to the scene, they found the house fully involved, with flames coming from every opening. Moreover, a stiff breeze across the surrounding farmland blew the fire into a garage just to the north of the residence, incinerating it as well. Firefighters from four departments - Orrville, Dalton, North Lawrence and Marshallville - battled the blaze for hours, but in the end little more than a portion of the front wall of the house remained.

The house was located in between another house and a barn and firefighters were able to prevent the blaze from spreading to those structures.

Ballentine said state fire investigator Lee Bethune informed him Monday he had ruled out suspicious or criminal activity in connection with the fire, and had released the scene to the insurance company, which had yet to make a determination of financial loss in the blaze.

Ballentine said it is unknown when final reports on the fire would be available either from the State Fire Marshal’s Office or the Wayne County Coroner’s Office.

Reporter Paul Locher can be reached at (330) 682-2055, Ext. 218, or e-mail plocher@the-daily-record.com
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy919
    Sad news if you need anything brohter let us know. Always an open ear.
    I am a part of a crisis response team, so your offer is truly appreciated. Actually, just the fact that you made it makes a difference. I think I am doing OK with this one, and I have not heard about any of our department experiencing any signs of post traumatic stress. I have heard some comments that they wished they would have found her in her bed instead of by the door. I guess we all would prefer to die in our sleep instead of being so close to safety and not making it....

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic
    I am a part of a crisis response team, so your offer is truly appreciated. Actually, just the fact that you made it makes a difference. I think I am doing OK with this one, and I have not heard about any of our department experiencing any signs of post traumatic stress. I have heard some comments that they wished they would have found her in her bed instead of by the door. I guess we all would prefer to die in our sleep instead of being so close to safety and not making it....

Thanks for your thoughts!
    No problem if you need to talk let me know. Few years ago we responded mutual aid to a trailer fire. We lost a family of 5. It sucks. My best wishes go out to you and your crew. Glad to see you are keeping an eye on them as well.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Wow... almost a mirror image of ours... 8:30PM instead of 6:30AM... Wonder who covers Cinniman Lake??
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Polk was the first due, they had tanker assist with Nankin,Sullivan and Town & Country. A medic unit from Ashland was dispatched for the lady's son. No Transport. Also a light plant was called from Hayesville due to them being there until about midnight last night. More information: http://www.times-gazette.com/article...&article=1&tD=

Thread Information