Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Post medical exam/vision exam

I have pretty good vision to begin with. Sometimes things get a bit blurry to me though. I currenty do not wear glasses or contacts nor have I ever. If I go through a medical exam and they see that my vision isnt the greatest(might need to be corrected) does that automatically eliminate you from the testing process? Do departments allow you to keep on going in the hiring process if you cant see well, but agree and are willing to get your eyes corrected? How does that work?

I may have a medical exam in my future, and dont want to get eliminated for "failing" the vision portion of the exam.

thanks to all that post

MembersZone Subscriber

Most departments have a vision requirement that allows your vision to be corrected. Glasses and contacts are permitted but your vision for most department must be corrected to 20/20.

If you have any doubt as to your vision, the DMV tests your vision when you get your driver's license. Go there and stand in line and have your vision checked. They will do it for free. Another option is to go to one of the many eye care places in the shopping mall. They may even do vision checks for free.

You may find out you need glasses. If things are fuzzy you may not even realize what you are missing. If you do fail the vision requirement and THEN go to get glasses there is a good chance you will miss your chance as they will move on to the next candidate on the list. Identifying the problem first allows you to take the eye exam wearing glasses and moving on in the process.

Check out the job description flyer of the department for which you are applying. They normally post the medical requirements on the back.

Good luck,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information