MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anybody from the Burlington area?

Hey anyone from the Burlington area? Mallet's Bay, Colchester Center, Winooski, Colchester Rescue, Burlington, South Burlington, UVM Rescue, Shelburne Rescue, Essex Fire, Essex Rescue. Did I miss anyone

There is a distinct possibility that I might be relocating that area. I've looked at those department websites to try and gain an idea of what goes on and how things are done up there. Currently I'm an NREMT-B and have FF1 & 2 and also EVOC (a few others, but realativly minor ones) from WV. Anyone know if that transfers over or will I have to do just about everything again?

Thanks for any help.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as I know the certifications should carry over, but best to check with the state. Are you currently career or volunteer in WVA?

I have never been accused of being politically correct!

9-11-01
    NEVER FORGET

Forum Member

Your certifications should carry over, but that doesn't mean you get off from being a probie! UVM Rescue won't be of any use to you, unless you're a UVM Student. All of the fire departments (except for Burlington I believe) have volunteer forces.

The only career services in the area Burlington and South Burlington. Neither are hiring at this point. SB is always accepting volunteers though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

From my knowledge of the state of Vermont not much carries over fire/electrical/plumbing/ etc. but to only couple states. We had a guy leave our department and go to FL apply there he was NEW level 1 here in VT and he had to do the whole thing over there, I hope they accept your previuos training but in this state if they think they can pry a nickle out of some one they will.The department you join will put you through every thing you need. I can't speak for the EMS side just the fire side. The state of VT only has I beleive 4 paid departments the 2 previously mentioned Rutland and Hartford? its over by White River Junction.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFDFIREDOG
    The state of VT only has I beleive 4 paid departments the 2 previously mentioned Rutland and Hartford? its over by White River Junction.
    The state of Vermont has 12 or so career fire departments that I can think of off the top of my head. Most of those places run the EMS Transport also (for the municipal ones atleast). There are also a few Rescue/EMS agencies in the state such as Lamoile EMS, Barre Town EMS, Rescue Inc., LaFevre Ambulance, Golden Cross....

Brattleboro, Bellows Falls, Springfield, White River / Hartford, Rutland, South Burlington, Burlington, IBM, Air Guard, Montpelier, Barre City, St. Johnsbury, are the only career FDs I can think of off the top of my head right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification,

Forum Member

Don't forget Essex Junction Fire Dept. We do fire, rescue, hazmat, & 1st response EMS. We're a paid-on-call dept- no full time staff. We're always looking for new members, especially if they bring experience with them.

Vt EMS will accept your NREMT-B with no problem, just contact their office and they will automatically certify you in Vt.

If your FFI & FFII are Pro-Board certifications, Vt. Fire Service Training will accept them as well. If they are IFSAC or state certifications, you will probably have to re-test here. I don't think they will make you retake the classes, but I could be wrong.

When you get up here, look us up. We meet on Monday nights, just stop by the station.
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

Thread Information